Getting a job in Barbados

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Hi John,

thanks again - the salary sounds more than adequate, even more than I expected. But like I said, this is not my main target but will sure help to feed my family

Thanks for the agencies list, the first two were already on my list as well, I am quite sure that they will like my portfolio

Do you know some good local (!) sources for advertisements of rental properties (rented by locals)? I only know the Nation News, but there are not many ads.....Maybe you can recommend some more websites?
Of course I need to finish the first step with the job first, but I want to check all I can now, so I am also looking what the rental prices are on the island. I found some very nice houses with garden and 3-4 bedrooms for under BD$ 2.500,- - so that´s what we are looking for: min. 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom is o.k., and a fenced garden area would be nice. No need for ocean view, and we would prefer to live in the countryside. Would be great if you could recommend something
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Belinda

You could start with www.cariblist.com. You can search by location, price etc. They are thousands of properties listed there. For Bds$2500, you could definitely find what you are looking for.

You mentioned family; do you need any advice for schools etc?

John
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

I already looked on cariblist.com - and found some interesting properties, but mostly without pictures.....as for the budget for the rental house, BD$ 2500 would be the maxmax The cheaper the better, cause there will be more money for other leisure tings )

Regarding schools - yes, I am also looking for "the best" school for my daughter, who will be 11 years old then. I am not sure if the lacking of the 11+ examination will be a problem for her? How do they deal with scholars who come from abroad without this exam? I already got some recommendations from other members (look at the earlier postings today), and I think the best will be that I go and visit some of the recommended schools when I will be there in July.

But maybe you can help me with the question of the min. needed budget monthly for a family with 1 children. I already stayed in BArbados several times in self-contained apartments, so I know how much food etc. cost, but how about electricity, water, phone, internet, car insurance? Also, I know that cars are very expensive there, and I think we will buy a used pickup or so there. Do you have any idea how much we have to expect to pay?

John, thanks again 1000 times for your help!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

As far as the cost of things, let's run through your list.

Three bedroom house (with no AC, a gas stove and a Solar Water Heater) I would say absolute mimimum would be Bds$100. Bds$200 would be more likely. Each AC would use approx Bds$75 per month.

Water: Bds$50 minimum

Phone: Bds$40 minimum

Internet: DSL 512Kbps $99 per month, 256Kbps $69 per month

Insurance: 3rd Party (does not cover damage to your car) $1000. Fully comprehensive $2500 for a used car. You may pay higher because you do not have any history of driving in Barbados.

You could get a cheap used car for $5000 but then it may or may not be junk. $10000 may get you something more reliable. Reconditioned small cars (three years old imported from Japan - $28000). New Cars from $40000.

As for schools, you should call the Ministry of Education (246) 430-2700 and ask for advice. It will not be a problem not having taken the 11plus, certainly not for private schools. For public schools, you should try to aim for Harrison College, Queens College, St. Michaels or Deighton Griffith in that order. Ask the ministry for advice.

Keep the questions coming

John
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bajanboy

Keep the questions coming

John

Wow you are really a big help for me, thanks!
Regarding the car - my husband will be happy to get an older car to work on it, thats his biggest hobby
As for the car insurance and costs for water, electricity etc. it is pretty the same than here what we pay for our apartment, so I think these costs shouldnt bring us in trouble Hey and we are saving the costs for heating haha Do you have any idea how much we pay to heat here? Ridiculous!

There is one more question (for now haha): I heard that its normal to employ at least a bajan who cares for your garden, or - who we probably will need - a maid/cook. Can you tell me how much a maid gets for e.g. 5 hrs a day (4 or 5 days a week) to clean the house, wash the clothes and cook? And how about a gardner (but I saw on some advertisements that garden maintainance is often included in the monthly rental rate)?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

You could probably get someone to clean for Bds$50 for half a day. Depending on the size of the garden, it would cost between $50 to $150 per visit, and twice a month should be fine. Some houses do include that in the rent.

So, what is your husband going to do in Barbados? Is he looking for a job as well?

John
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again
My husband is working as electronic technician for telecommunications (specialized in radio engineering), and of course, he would like to get a job there too. So at least one of us two should have a job before moving finally. Whoever will be the first getting a job We think that it should be OK for the first time if only one of us have a job, but just today we have been discussing how it would be with the residence permit if only one of us would have work?

My husband is preparing applications for some telecomm. companies there at the moment, so, let´s see what will happen.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

I am not sure if one of you getting a work permit will make it more automatic for the other one to be granted a work permit as well. But it will be easier for either of you to look for something while you are here. So, you are right in that when one of you gets a job and you move here, the other one will find it easier to secure a job by job hunting from Barbados.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TERRYBENT
OK lets give you the low down, i know these facts because i moved here 2 and a half years ago! Firstly the only way to work for someone is if they advertise a job and nobody, and i mean nobody locally is qualified for the position. They then have to advertise their intentions to seek a non national and wait for any objections, only then can they offer the job to a non national and apply for a work permit (3 years maximum) the non national needs to provide evidence they are qualified for the role.
Second alternative, you can start your own business, but you must employ at least three or four locals and mine took a year to come through. You also have to show that you have put money into setting up the business, you need the receipts from the bank to prove it. If you are caught working meantime you can get deported, you will also probably only be able to work in a supervisory capacity, for example if you open a bar dont expect to be allowed to be the only barman!
Yes you could marry a local, but again work permits could have you waiting well over a year before you can work.
You can live here indefinatly without working and buy property but you may have to go to immigration every 30 days for an extension visa, that takes the best part of a day every month! If you are caught working here on a visitors permit you will be deported and will never be allowed to return!
If anyone needs any more info please feel free to ask, i will help any way i can!!!
Hi,

When you started your own business, was it of the shelf or Ltd off shore? Secondly did you have to start it with a local?
I know about employment of locals and being in a managerial position. You said it took you a year, what took a year? To get permission? From who did you have to get permission? And finally who was your Lawyer, mine was Mottley but not sure whether to use him again.
Old May 8th 2007, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Dominican is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
Hi Belinda:

I think you could expect US$3000 - US$4000. The work permit may be a problem, but they could tailor the application to meet your particular range of skills.

As for agencies, you could try the following which are the biggest

SOJE Londsdale - Winston Edghill ([email protected])
Virgo Communications - Stephanie Von Oppen ([email protected])
RED Advertising - Jevan Jutagir ([email protected])
BCB Communications Inc

Barbados can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to be. But the best things here are free (beaches, weather, people) or not expensive (happy hour or dinner at the fish fry in Oistins).

Feel free to write back with other questions.

John
Hey, I've found this site really useful, I've just graduated BA digital art with animation in UK, I am dual national with Uk and dominica but my aunt and uncle and cousins are Bajan.. they are still living there too so i was wondering if it would make my case easier to gain a permit living and work? my wife is american and had enough of living in UK so we are waiting and searching on where to move.. Barbados is the best option for all of us including my two little girls. somewhere in the forum had said that i would need a proof that we have enough money to support myself.. would that still count if we're staying with my aunt? Because Uk lifestyle is eating up our money anyway any advice would be cool..

oh yeah was that per month or per year? (usd$3000) maybe i could be working below belinda!
Old May 8th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dominican
Hey, I've found this site really useful, I've just graduated BA digital art with animation in UK, I am dual national with Uk and dominica but my aunt and uncle and cousins are Bajan.. they are still living there too so i was wondering if it would make my case easier to gain a permit living and work? my wife is american and had enough of living in UK so we are waiting and searching on where to move.. Barbados is the best option for all of us including my two little girls. somewhere in the forum had said that i would need a proof that we have enough money to support myself.. would that still count if we're staying with my aunt? Because Uk lifestyle is eating up our money anyway any advice would be cool..

oh yeah was that per month or per year? (usd$3000) maybe i could be working below belinda!
I wish I could help, interesting question!!
Old May 8th 2007, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dominican

Hi Dominican,

the last sentence could easily be misunderstood by people who are not speaking English as their mother-tongue like me *haha* The salary range was meant monthly, and not net. So you can subtract 30-35% to know the net amount....not bad either!
So we both are in the same "boat" Looking for a creative job on this beautiful island I already began with the "application step", how about you? How far are your plans? Would be great to help each other!
Old May 8th 2007, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dominican:

If you have a Dominican passport and a university degree, you do not need a work permit for Barbados. As far I know, under the Caricom Single Market and Economy (CSME) rules, skilled Caricom nationals can work in other Caricom countries. You should ask for more advice at the Dominican and Barbadian High Commissions in the UK. All you will need to do is register at the immigration department here in Barbados. I do not think you even need to have a job offer.
Old May 8th 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

@Bajanboy

Hi I have one more question regarding a company in Barbados.....what can you tell me about Sunbeach Communications, is it a good company? They currently have a vacant position which could be perfect for my husband, but since this position is offered for a pretty long time now, I am little bit unsecure......maybe the company doesnt pay well or doesnt treat his employees well etc.? Would be great if you could tell me anything about this company before my husband will apply for this job..........thanks in advance!!
Old May 8th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Belinda:

Sunbeach is an interesting story. Sunbeach almost went bankrupt two years ago. It was a successful Internet company that got a licence to operate a cell phone business. However, the start-up costs were so high, that it never got off the ground, and that sent the company into a big, big financial mess.

Now the good news. They were bought by a Palestine company called Vtel Holdings Ltd, who wanted to get into the cell phone business. However, companies can change their mind easily, and if Vtel does not decide to pursue their desire to operate the cell phone company, I am not sure what will happen to Sunbeach.

Read some more about this at:

http://www.nationnews.com/story/293448812277412.php

You can also search for Sunbeach Vtel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.