Getting a job in Barbados

Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:14 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Originally Posted by Jane888uk
Hi there....

I know exactly what you mean, I spent Christmas in Barbados with my daughter - loved it!
So we are returning in April for some more of that relaxed island life!

We would also like to do a six month stay, just to make sure
we are not on an extended holiday fix...
Possibly looking at going out again in October until March 08.

But like you we would like to work there, but its not that easy.
When we go out in April we are going to see a solicitor to find out
exactly the right way about organising work legally. ( if its poss )

I have heard it can take up to two years, and in the meantime prove
you can support yourself financially until you get accepted.

Will keep you posted.
Jane
its actually not that hard to get in - theres lots of jobs that recruit from outside barbados - but they're in things like construction, banking and hotel/resort positions. more often than not they're exclusively looking for overseas employees as if the jobs are on the internet they've exhausted the local search.

go to websites like monster abroad, catererglobal things like that .... you'll be amazed at whats around. These companies are also set up to employ from overseas so will have all things in place like visas, accomm etc.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:25 pm
Jane888uk

Jane888uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Wow, thankyou for that.

Will certainly check out those websites, and hopefully find
work that would suit myself and my daughter.

But what if you wanted to stay longer and you still have a
job, how long do you have to leave the island for?
Do you have to register or get an advanced visa?

Is this possible....
Jane
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:37 pm

Wow, thankyou for that.

Will certainly check out those websites, and hopefully find
work that would suit myself and my daughter.

But what if you wanted to stay longer and you still have a
job, how long do you have to leave the island for?
Do you have to register or get an advanced visa?

Is this possible....
Jane
its very easy if you're offered an expat position (which as a brit you would be) basically the company do it all, you apply, get the job, they organise the initial visa which a copy will be sent with your job contract copies and flight tickets. you will have a return ticket for the length of the initial visa. Then before the visa expires a nice person from comapny HR takes your passport to the Employment department of the government and gets your next 12 month visa stamped. you dont have to leave and then come back, you dont actually have to do anything.

this applies to companies that are recruiting expat workers - as I say, banking, construction, private schools, hospitals, hospitality etc...

and they do everything, flights for the family, shipping costs, private medical healthcare, accomm, school provided - thats what we get here as they physically do not have local employees able to do what my hubby, and many other expat employees do.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:46 pm
Jane888uk

Smile Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Excellent...thankyou!

Very much food for thought...
I am on Monster Job Search now!

Great Help
Jane
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:00 am
Just Joined

12ellie12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your replies- I'll be spending my dinner hour cruising monster!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

TERRYBENT is an unknown quantity at this point

OK lets give you the low down, i know these facts because i moved here 2 and a half years ago! Firstly the only way to work for someone is if they advertise a job and nobody, and i mean nobody locally is qualified for the position. They then have to advertise their intentions to seek a non national and wait for any objections, only then can they offer the job to a non national and apply for a work permit (3 years maximum) the non national needs to provide evidence they are qualified for the role.
Second alternative, you can start your own business, but you must employ at least three or four locals and mine took a year to come through. You also have to show that you have put money into setting up the business, you need the receipts from the bank to prove it. If you are caught working meantime you can get deported, you will also probably only be able to work in a supervisory capacity, for example if you open a bar dont expect to be allowed to be the only barman!
Yes you could marry a local, but again work permits could have you waiting well over a year before you can work.
You can live here indefinatly without working and buy property but you may have to go to immigration every 30 days for an extension visa, that takes the best part of a day every month! If you are caught working here on a visitors permit you will be deported and will never be allowed to return!
If anyone needs any more info please feel free to ask, i will help any way i can!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi there....

I know exactly what you mean, I spent Christmas in Barbados with my daughter - loved it!
So we are returning in April for some more of that relaxed island life!

We would also like to do a six month stay, just to make sure
we are not on an extended holiday fix...
Possibly looking at going out again in October until March 08.

But like you we would like to work there, but its not that easy.
When we go out in April we are going to see a solicitor to find out
exactly the right way about organising work legally. ( if its poss )

I have heard it can take up to two years, and in the meantime prove
you can support yourself financially until you get accepted.

Will keep you posted.
Jane
See my reply on this subject
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by TERRYBENT
OK lets give you the low down, i know these facts because i moved here 2 and a half years ago! Firstly the only way to work for someone is if they advertise a job and nobody, and i mean nobody locally is qualified for the position. They then have to advertise their intentions to seek a non national and wait for any objections, only then can they offer the job to a non national and apply for a work permit (3 years maximum) the non national needs to provide evidence they are qualified for the role.
Second alternative, you can start your own business, but you must employ at least three or four locals and mine took a year to come through. You also have to show that you have put money into setting up the business, you need the receipts from the bank to prove it. If you are caught working meantime you can get deported, you will also probably only be able to work in a supervisory capacity, for example if you open a bar dont expect to be allowed to be the only barman!
Yes you could marry a local, but again work permits could have you waiting well over a year before you can work.
You can live here indefinatly without working and buy property but you may have to go to immigration every 30 days for an extension visa, that takes the best part of a day every month! If you are caught working here on a visitors permit you will be deported and will never be allowed to return!
If anyone needs any more info please feel free to ask, i will help any way i can!!!
exactly - the only reason the jobs are on wesites such as the ones I mentioned are because theres no local employees able or qualified so they must look to expats. Here thats alot easier as its a fledgling economy in things like tourism and construction meaning that most locals have no knowledge or experience so expats must be brought in. Barbados on the other hand has these people as the islanders have better education and expereince in these jobs .... but with more expansion means more people are needed.

as I said before - dont risk entering illegally - they'll find you and having a deportation stamp on your passport not only excludes you from Barbados but many other countries wont accept you either as a risk
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

IkklePiranha is an unknown quantity at this point

It sucks that those with the money - the rich bastards who can afford to come and go as they please, without working - are the ones that can afford to do so.
Because from what i've seen they put NOTHING back into the island, they don't go to the locally run bars, resturants, they might shop in the supermarkets, but they'll buy the imported Waitrose products and they hang out in their tight little rich expat cliques and add NOTHING to the island.
Yet their the ones who are there.

And someone like myself, who has everything to offer, can't come over becuase i'm not wealthy. It sickens me.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by IkklePiranha
It sucks that those with the money - the rich bastards who can afford to come and go as they please, without working - are the ones that can afford to do so.
Because from what i've seen they put NOTHING back into the island, they don't go to the locally run bars, resturants, they might shop in the supermarkets, but they'll buy the imported Waitrose products and they hang out in their tight little rich expat cliques and add NOTHING to the island.
Yet their the ones who are there.

And someone like myself, who has everything to offer, can't come over becuase i'm not wealthy. It sickens me.
I hate to disolusion you, but its exactly the rich people that keep the economy going! Barbados produces rum and sugar, without the rich people bringing their money to the island the island would be bankrupt, the import duty on Waitrose products helps run the economy, if the rich prefer to buy those products, they pay through the nose for it. As for the rich not using the restaurants, without them they would all fail, as ours did because it was not upmarket!
I am sorry but your last post was well out of order! if you have a skill the island is in short supply of, you will get to live here, if you have no skill then you have nothing to offer the island and unless you can show you can live without working why the hell should they let you in? it is obvious your only way of surviving would be to work illegally. I know i sound harsh but if the island did not do this it really would be bakrupt in no time, currently unemployment is at an all time low, because the goverment has stopped people coming in taking the jobs of people who were born here.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:48 pm

currently unemployment is at an all time low, because the goverment has stopped people coming in taking the jobs of people who were born here.
and thank god from the economic boom Barbados has had for many years the schools and colleges and universities are now turning out Bajans highly qualified in many fields - therefore able to work in leading fields on their own island. Barbados is an example to most all the other caribbean islands in how to educate and train their nationals ..... unfortunately for most other islands this is still probably a generation away, or in our case here probably 100 years away!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

IkklePiranha is an unknown quantity at this point

it is obvious your only way of surviving would be to work illegally
I would never work illegally and it's hardly the case that that would be the only way I could work, as i've already been told by some helpful sources.

I hate to disolusion you, but its exactly the rich people that keep the economy going
Surely it's the tourisim that keeps the country from going bankrupt?! Rich or otherwise it's the tourists that pump money into the bars, resturants and such.
Out of interest - where and what was your resturant?

Anyhow. I have 3 weeks in November/December booked now and I can't wait to return.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:58 pm
Jane888uk

Cool Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Chipping in again.....

I work in Security - G4S @ Bournemouth Airport here in the UK.
G4S are also based @ Grantley Adams Airport.

I wondered if there was a possibility of a transfer to
Grantley Adams?

But l suppose like the thread a couple ago said, only if
you are qualified in an area a local Bajan isnt!

Could l still apply for a work permit in that field and wait for
a post?

Jane
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:42 pm

Chipping in again.....

I work in Security - G4S @ Bournemouth Airport here in the UK.
G4S are also based @ Grantley Adams Airport.

I wondered if there was a possibility of a transfer to
Grantley Adams?

But l suppose like the thread a couple ago said, only if
you are qualified in an area a local Bajan isnt!

Could l still apply for a work permit in that field and wait for
a post?

Jane

I'm pretty sure - if I'm not someone please do correct me - but you cant get a work permit and wait for something to come up. Its not like Oz or NZ with visas etc... you have to have secured a position in order to get the work permit. I'm pretty sure that the right scenario .....
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:49 am
Jane888uk

Thanks for that Islandmom.....

I will investigate when over in Barbados next month.

Jane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.