Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Getting Citizenship by Descent

Getting Citizenship by Descent

Old May 27th 2020, 10:10 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Citizenship by Descent

It sounds as though you are ‘defacto’ a citizen, but i thin kyou will just have to prove it to get recorded and a passport - with the birth certificate of you and your mum [normal requirement] unless you were born there maybe.

Strange the way some countries still prefer fathers over mothers. Theres also - just fyi - in some countries a difference between citizen by birth or by naturalisation. If by birth youwill likely be able to pass it onto children, but this is sometimes blocked if by naturalisation.

Last edited by uk_grenada; May 27th 2020 at 10:16 am.
Old May 27th 2020, 10:13 am
Just Joined

TrevJays is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
It sounds as though you are ‘defacto’ a citizen, but i thin kyou will just have to prove it to get recorded and a passport - with the birth certificate of you and your mum [normal requirement] unless you were born there maybe.
It seems like it. No I was born in the UK to a mother of dual British-Barbadian nationality ( she was born there). I'm going to try and get in contact with them today.
Old May 27th 2020, 10:43 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

When you do get it, do check the situation regarding you passing it on...
Old May 29th 2020, 12:35 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

there have been, or are supposed to be, some changes to being able to claim Barbados Citizenship. if you are born OUTSIDE of Barbados to a born Barbadian, you apply for your Barbados Citizenship by Decent means that you are the son or daughter of a Born national (not someone who moved here , married someone here, and received citizenship by application.. marriage, etc.) . Being a dual Citizen only means that you would have both British (born) and Barbados (decent) . ordinarily the Decent rule only allows for 1 generation.. so.. YOUR children would technically NOT be able to get citizenship, unless they are born in Barbados. HOWEVER. I believe there was talk of changing that , among other things, but have not heard anything as to if the information has passed. if it hasn't changed on the Barbados Immigration page, then it hasn't been done.

you WILL most importantly need a certified/notarized etc.. copy of your mothers birth certificate and it has to be a printed one (not hand written as they used to be only hand written) . the Immigration information should tell you what you will need to have.. all of the relevant bits of paper, photos etc. I would strongly encourage you to contact the Barbados Embassy in London to inquire. at this time, however, I would highly doubt anyone will be there to assistant with this type of matter.

Just to clarify. I am an american, married to a Barbadian, I have Citizenship by Marriage.. our 3 children were born in Barbados, but also have US Citizenship, through me.. . At their birth, I applied for their US Citizenship document which is a Certificate of Live Birth Abroad. and a US Passport. In their US passport it shows they were born in Barbados. They can never be denied entry into Barbados, even without a Barbados Passport (currently 2 of them are getting theirs, but the 3rd lives in the US. The don't really need a Barbados Passport.)
Old May 29th 2020, 12:38 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

On the matter of moving to Barbados. you would not be able to hold anything but a tourist drivers license until your citizenship is approved and you have the relevant documents. you would not be allowed to work until that comes through as well. although, I know that with Citizenship by Marriage, they now provide something called a Reside and Work document that does allow you to work , while your citizenship is in process.. however. I have no idea if this extends to by Decent.

As you can appreciate, right now isn't a good time for anyone coming to look to live or work, specifically work. the island is starting to open up, but, with many people out of work in the last 2 1/2 months, it's not going to be easy when it comes to jobs.. and depending on what type of work you might do, you may find it harder to find a job.
Old May 29th 2020, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
On the matter of moving to Barbados. you would not be able to hold anything but a tourist drivers license until your citizenship is approved and you have the relevant documents. you would not be allowed to work until that comes through as well. although, I know that with Citizenship by Marriage, they now provide something called a Reside and Work document that does allow you to work , while your citizenship is in process.. however. I have no idea if this extends to by Decent.

As you can appreciate, right now isn't a good time for anyone coming to look to live or work, specifically work. the island is starting to open up, but, with many people out of work in the last 2 1/2 months, it's not going to be easy when it comes to jobs.. and depending on what type of work you might do, you may find it harder to find a job.
Thanks, that's helpful.

I'm kind of thinking of it for the long term....so I may not come immediately.

You can also get a work Visa I think?

I have tried the Barbados immigration office however the receptionist generally puts you through to an extension .which doesn't work. I rang the port immigration and they told me it was probably best to ring the embassy as you say. I did try to ring the embassy the other day, but no answer as you say.
Old May 29th 2020, 5:38 pm

A work visa would be a work permit. It has to be submitted and paid for by the company who would be employing you. that would be if it's done before you receive your citizen approval. and.. if there is a job that you are looking for that a Barbadian can do, the work permit can be denied.. and they don't come cheap. no one can just come and live here and work. doesn't work that way.

Also as said. the office in London may be closed. you could try to e-mail them, try to get as much information together as the website advises.. https://immigration.gov.bb/pages/Citizenship.aspx https://immigration.gov.bb/documents...ip_Descent.pdf (the form for Citizenship by descent).
Old May 29th 2020, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

A work visa would be a work permit. It has to be submitted and paid for by the company who would be employing you. that would be if it's done before you receive your citizen approval. and.. if there is a job that you are looking for that a Barbadian can do, the work permit can be denied.. and they don't come cheap. no one can just come and live here and work. doesn't work that way.

Also as said. the office in London may be closed. you could try to e-mail them, try to get as much information together as the website advises.. https://immigration.gov.bb/pages/Citizenship.aspx https://immigration.gov.bb/documents...ip_Descent.pdf (the form for Citizenship by descent).
Thanks that's helpful.

I have actually been in contact with The Barbadian Embassy in London today, and they are going to be sending me some information. They say they are pretty much shut atm, but must be maintaining a certain amount of service.

They said they said that processing a Citizenship request can take up to a year but may be quicker atm. Confusingly they said that they currently have a backlog! It's actually cheaper for me to do it via the embassy so will be doing it this way asap.
Old May 30th 2020, 2:51 am

sounds good TrevJays.. just make sure you have all the supporting documents before you start. it's a pain to start and stop in the process. good luck and keep us posted.
Old May 30th 2020, 7:59 am
Just Joined

sounds good TrevJays.. just make sure you have all the supporting documents before you start. it's a pain to start and stop in the process. good luck and keep us posted.
Yes True.

Thanks for your help.

Will keep y'all informed
Old Jun 28th 2020, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Hello

Just FYI I have put pause on getting my Citizenship for the time being. I have got another job in the uk, but I still intend to emigrate eventually.....

I actually found out that it's cheaper to get your Citizenship request processed by the barbados embassy in London, so I will use them!

However it can take up to year to be processed. There isn't any urgency in my case so that's fine.

The barbados embassy is/was currently closed but they will be processing requests when they reopen!
Old Jun 29th 2020, 1:08 am

congrats on the new job and thanks for the update. May I make a suggestion that you may want to go ahead, even if you AREN'T planning on coming anytime soon, and put in all the required information for your Barbados Citizenship by decent sooner rather than later. .. Just so you have it when the time comes, instead of having to wait. something to think about. and good luck
Old Jul 7th 2020, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Just to clarify. I am an american, married to a Barbadian, I have Citizenship by Marriage.
First time I have EVER heard the term Barbadian rather than Bajan...is there such a thing?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Happyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond repute

Barbadian is the correct term for someone born in Barbados. Bajan is the much used shortened "slang" version.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Happyowner
Barbadian is the correct term for someone born in Barbados. Bajan is the much used shortened "slang" version.
Never knew!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.