British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Getting Citizenship by Descent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/getting-citizenship-descent-932873/)

TrevJays May 26th 2020 2:24 pm

Getting Citizenship by Descent

Hello All,

I am a young, adult, working British Citizen living in the UK with parents and am looking at the best way of applying for Barbados Citizenship in view of having dual Citizenship. My mum grew up in Barbados and, I believe still has dual citizenship.
I am looking at the feasibility of moving there ( obviously its difficult atm) in the long term and what's rights and restrictions I might have driving license, employment etc. I have a hospitable extended family and acquaintances in Barbados.

I appreciate any answers or advice the good people on here might have!

Many Thanks.

scot47 May 26th 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Getting Citizenship by Descent

If you are already a dual citizen, surely you do not have to apply for citizenship / Apply for a passport perhaps ?

uk_grenada May 26th 2020 5:32 pm

I think the OP said their mum had citizenship?

Firstly dual treble whatever means nothing, its about your affinity to the place you wish to have citizenship for. The rules vary by nation, but often, the question is how your mum got her bajan citizenship. If by birth then you may be able to claim, if by marriage less likely but depends on the nation. So describe who was born there. If its eg your father they they would be involved in the process not the mother.

With that info one of the bajan experts can comment. If in fact you have citizenship then yes, a passport is just an adjunct to that, some money and paperwork.

TrevJays May 26th 2020 5:45 pm

Hello

Thanks for that.

Yes my mum has Citizenship by birth, but currently resides in the UK.
I think I should just be able to make a straightforward application for citizenship by descent. I believe I can do this by post?

Would you know if a full UK driving licence is transferable, or would I have to retake?

Thanks, these forums are very helpful.

TrevJays May 26th 2020 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12858181)
If you are already a dual citizen, surely you do not have to apply for citizenship / Apply for a passport perhaps ?

I would like to get dual citizenship( don't currently have) as I reckon it could be useful at some stage, whether I go there long term or no.

Appreciate your advice

uk_grenada May 26th 2020 6:11 pm

Im not the expert on barbados but you will need all sorts of evidence, forms etc and it will take months, possibly years and you may need to submit other than obvious docs, like a police record. Wait till they advise but meantime talk to the relevant embassy / high comission and get the forms / any advice they have.

They usually accept a british dl and issue a local one.

satellite_ian May 26th 2020 6:22 pm

You don't have to retake a driving test but will have to get a local license... although it's possible to simply get a short term permit (up to a year for Bd$100) which might cover your initial period while you finalise the rest of your plans.

As for dual citizenship.. surely you either are or are not a citizen of Barbados.. the High Commission should be able to confirm.. then you just apply for a passport.

TrevJays May 26th 2020 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12858208)
Im not the expert on barbados but you will need all sorts of evidence, forms etc and it will take months, possibly years and you may need to submit other than obvious docs, like a police record. Wait till they advise but meantime talk to the relevant embassy / high comission and get the forms / any advice they have.

They usually accept a british dl and issue a local one.

Thanks.
I actually have a copy of the application form here which lwhich all the things you need for an application by descent. Seens suprisingly simple.

It seems that it is harder and more complicated to get in if you don't have maritial or ancestral ties.

Pulaski May 26th 2020 6:26 pm

The Wikipedia article on Barbadian citizenship law includes the following paragraph, which may be informative (emphasis added):

....Section 5 of the constitution states that children born outside of Barbados to most men who are citizens of Barbados are Barbadian citizens. It has additionally come to include children born to Barbadians serving as diplomats abroad,[1] and those born overseas as children of fathers who were or would have been citizens of Barbados but for their death. ....

TrevJays May 26th 2020 7:01 pm

Hello
yes I noticed that
The Barbados Constitution was, I believe written around the time of the islands independence (1966), hence society was quite male dominated.
Going by the Barbados Immigration site (link on post below), it includes phrases like 'parent' and 'barbarian parent' suggesting that the emphasis has changed a bit.

Pulaski May 26th 2020 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by TrevJays (Post 12858230)
Hello
yes I noticed that
The Barbados Constitution was, I believe written around the time of the islands independence (1966), hence society was quite male dominated.
Going by the Barbados Immigration site (link on post below), it includes phrases like 'parent' and 'barbarian parent' suggesting that the emphasis has changed a bit.

:fingerscrossed:

TrevJays May 26th 2020 7:02 pm

https://immigration.gov.bb/pages/Citizenship.aspx

TrevJays May 26th 2020 9:40 pm

Pulaski....

This is the section of the constitution relating to Citizenship by descent:

(1) A person born outside Barbados after 29th November 1966 shall become a citizen of Barbados at the date of his birth if at that date his father is a citizen of Barbados otherwise than by virtue of this section or section 2(2).
(2) Subject to subsection (1) and without derogating from, or in any way affecting, that subsection, a person born outside Barbados after 29th November 1966 shall become a citizen of Barbados at the date of his birth if at the date of the birth at least one of his parents is a citizen of Barbados who was born in Barbados.

Its kind of confusing but seems to justify my case?
Also looking through the other chats on this forum, it seems that others have been trying to get Citizenship through their maternal side.

Pulaski May 26th 2020 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by TrevJays (Post 12858296)
Pulaski....

This is the section of the constitution relating to Citizenship by descent:

(1) A person born outside Barbados after 29th November 1966 shall become a citizen of Barbados at the date of his birth if at that date his father is a citizen of Barbados otherwise than by virtue of this section or section 2(2).
(2) Subject to subsection (1) and without derogating from, or in any way affecting, that subsection, a person born outside Barbados after 29th November 1966 shall become a citizen of Barbados at the date of his birth if at the date of the birth at least one of his parents is a citizen of Barbados who was born in Barbados.

Its kind of confusing but seems to justify my case?
Also looking through the other chats on this forum, it seems that others have been trying to get Citizenship through their maternal side.

OK, good. That looks more promising. :)

Per (2) it sounds like you are already a citizen, which is typically how it works in the UK, US, and many other countries.

TrevJays May 27th 2020 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12858306)
OK, good. That looks more promising. :)

Per (2) it sounds like you are already a citizen, which is typically how it works in the UK, US, and many other countries.

Yes it seems so! I am going to get in touch with the immigration office to clarify.

I am thinking that I may just get Citizenship if I don't have it ,since that would help me to skip the long arrivals queue at BGI every time I come, it's useful to have, and for 300 Barbados/ £120 it seems pretty reasonable.