British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Getting Child Support (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/getting-child-support-640422/)

Serendipidy Nov 13th 2009 12:55 am

Getting Child Support

Ok an acquaintance asked me to ask around for some info for her so i said i would so here goes

She has a child from a bajan father and wants to claim for child support - the father is not on the birth cert and playing the fool saying it not his - she now wants toclaim child support for her child.

His name is currently not on the birth certificate - how does she begin the process of claiming does she need to get DNA and what if he refuses? Does she need a lawyer

I told her i guess loads of potential fathers would refuse so maybe it works the other way that she claims child support and he needs to prove he aint???? but thats just me speculating

Oh and a bit of good news my best friend had a monster baby 9 pounds 4 on Tuesday with my assistance (well i was shouting push ya lazy cow lol) she had it at Bayview and everything went lovely jubbly - just a note after previous nightmare threads bout birth in barbados (but this aint the one claiming child support in case she reads this lmao)

Sunniebgi Nov 13th 2009 2:48 am

Re: Getting Child Support

Barbados is not an easy place when it comes to Child Support.. This is not based on fact, but simply what I have read over the years in the press (not the best for information gathering, but what I have to go on at the moment).

I would strongly encourage a lawyer.. if she can afford it.. but if she is looking for the "support" this might not be an option. Without the child's fathers name on the birth certificate, this might also prove to be a problem as well.

The only thing to consider is.. Can this man even afford to pay the support.. if so, go for it.. if not.. well she may want to not even worry..

Welcome back, by the way.. Glad the deliver went well... had all 3 of mine at Bayview and had a great delivers (well ok.. maybe not great..but..)..

chat soon.

bamiskados Nov 13th 2009 4:07 am

This will be a hard one.
First of all if his name is not on the birth certificate means he has not acknowledged the child, and from what you write he is not planning to do so either.
Not certain to what extent they use DNA tests to prove paternity, after all this is Barbados , and most cases where this will play the parties involved do not have the funds to pay for that.

Let´s say, she can proof he is the father, it will have to go to court, and the amount of child support will be determined based on his income of course, and looked at his other financial responsibilities
( housing, spouse, other children).
Only if he has a decent income according to Bajan standards, it’s worth all the trouble.
If your friend has an income herself which is sufficient to support the child, it reduces her chances of getting the child (decent)support.

And finally, a lot of Bajan men have court orders to pay child support and still don’t do it, and not much is being done about it, my guess is simply because it is a monthly reoccurring fact and to race them down again and again is just not worth it.
A alternative that can work rather than have them make monthly payments, is to call on the fathers for incidental stuff.
A box of Pampers, pair of shoes, school uniforms etc, this seems to work often, question is of these guys pay it themselves or go to their mothers( the grans) to ask for the money.

But again, if he doesn’t make much money, don’t bother it’s not worth the hassle

Serendipidy Nov 13th 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks for the info - I think its a venting thing for her after him denying the child - I thought barbados was strict on Child Support and errant fathers went to prison?? Is this not so?

shines Nov 13th 2009 1:39 pm

I did a quick google and came up with this info...

http://www.antillean.org/2009/04/13/...d-against-men/

not sure how much, if at all, that helps.

S

neal brown Nov 13th 2009 10:00 pm

If she takes him to court the court will order a DNA test,birth certificate does not matter, although the process will take time once it is proven he is the father he will have to support the child if he does not have a job he must find one,because the court will still slap a minimum fee on him.The problem in Barbados is that women put fathers in court and end up sleeping with them again and when the relationship get sour again start complaining.

Serendipidy Nov 14th 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks Shines and Neal - it appears from the link then shines that its up to him to pay for the DNA if he denying it - which is what i speculated as no one who knows that they have a child from a man but cos he dont wanna pay or upset the current woman in his life (or the 2 outside ones lol) should have to prove something that they already know. I do agree with the writer that it woudl be fair for both to pay half tho.

Any ideas on how much a DNA test costs? And how she would go about submitting a court application? Im just data gathering here as i agreed to - this guy wont even turn up in court so no idea what happens then whether he is classed as father in his absence

neal brown Nov 14th 2009 5:45 pm

The best thing to do is get a good lawyer advise or go to the child care board for advise first.I understand that a DNA test can cost around
$1,500BDS,in case where both parties cannot afford the DNA i am quite sure
the court will order one and the government will foot the bill.My advise is go down to the child care board and speak with a legitimate officer that can help you,and please remember my motto seek first and find the right person it will make life so much easier.:thumbup:

greenflava Nov 16th 2009 1:43 pm

These are the tit-bits I know...

- As noted above, the father is required to pay for the DNA test if he wishes to dispute paternity. I understood this was approx. $400 Bajan.

- Once the court has dittermined that child support is to be paid, it is automatically deducted from the father's salary. (Where he has a job, obviously.)

- Of note (not sure of the mother's nationality in this case?), Barbados and UK have an agreement to facilitate the claiming of child support between nationals of these two countries (can't remember where I read this but will try and find).

I'm afraid I'm not sure how the above is affected if father's name isn't on the birth cert...

Greenflava

reslax Nov 17th 2009 12:15 am

Today women have unlimited opportunities. They can get any amount of education they want. They can get any kind of job they want. They can make lots of money and buy whatever they want. Birth control is widely available and inexpensive, so why are we still seeing foolishness like this? As Bajans would say, "chupse." That represents the sucking of teeth.

Serendipidy Nov 17th 2009 12:43 am

lol inflammatory statement but i kinda agree being a woman with no kids is cos i exercised caution - however if everyone was like me we would die out a a species

shines Nov 17th 2009 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by reslax (Post 8103375)
Today women have unlimited opportunities. They can get any amount of education they want. They can get any kind of job they want. They can make lots of money and buy whatever they want. Birth control is widely available and inexpensive, so why are we still seeing foolishness like this? As Bajans would say, "chupse." That represents the sucking of teeth.

Today men have unlimited opportunities. They can get any amount of education they want. They can get any kind of job they want. They can make lots of money and buy whatever they want. Birth control is widely available and inexpensive, so why are we still seeing foolishness like this?

Edited to add - I did not copy "chupse" as the correct word is "steups"

greenflava Nov 17th 2009 2:53 pm

Up the Shines! :thumbup:

karibspices Nov 17th 2009 6:54 pm

there's a correct way to write "stupse"?? news to me...

anyways, what one of the posters put up appears to be true. Even if he is judged the father and ordered to pay maintenance, there is no guarantee that he will be criminalized and taken to jail for not doing so.

Although one could say men have just as much blame in the lack of birth control, obviously, it's the mothers bearing the burden when they have to raise the children without any help from the fathers.

Anyways, good luck.

shines Nov 17th 2009 8:35 pm

I googled it :D http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=steups

And who can argue with Google...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stupes

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chupes

(I shall stop now, I was just being petty after all)