Gaelic (Irish) Football

Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gaelic (Irish) Football

Hi All.

I have recently moved to Barbados after spending the past couple of years coming over and back to here from Ireland. I'm into sports and in order to keep myself fit and active I have played some soccer with a local club. However, my passion lies with Gaelic Football, a sport which I have played at the highest level back home and no other sport can give me the same level of satisfaction. Alas, the nearest place in which I might now take part in a Gaelic Football match is in the Cayman Islands!!

So, I am trying to find out if there would be enough people interested in playing the game to justify starting a club here. Obviously I am seeking Irish people who may also miss the sport (I am pretty sure that a fair number of posters to this forum are Irish), but I am also interested in getting some locals and other nationalities, English, Scots, Welsh, Indian, Namibian, whatever, involved.

Gaelic Football is played by teams of 15 on a rectangular grass pitch with H-shaped goals at each end. The primary object is to score by kicking or striking the ball with the hand and getting it through the goals. A shot over the crossbar scores 1 point and a shot under the crossbar scores 3 points. The goal is protected by a goal keeper, similar to soccer. The team with the highest score at the end of the match wins. Players advance the ball up the field with a combination of carrying, soloing (dropping and then toe-kicking the ball upward into the hands), kicking, and hand-passing to their team-mates. The simplest discriptions is to say that the games looks very much like a hybrid of soccer and rugby, although the game predates both of these sports. If you would like to see some video of the games just enter the search "gaelic football" in youtube and you should get a fair idea of what it's all about.

Please reply to this post if it sounds like something that might be of interest to you or if you are an Irish man/woman longing for a good game of gaelic.

Thanks alot!! I really hope that this is something that I can get up and running soon.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

unwind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gaelic (Irish) Football

Cuchullain, you mustn't be a Dub if you played Gaelic football at the highest level! I'm a Dub myself Doesn't look like you'll get a team together at this rate.

Fair play to you getting away from all the doom and gloom this side of the ocean. It's something I've given serious thought to in recent years, my plan is a two year stint somewhere in the Caribbean with my wife and two children. I've been to a few locations and the Turks and Caicos was top of my list.
My background is construction and my plan is to buy a site and build a decent house therefore been productive while having the lifestyle I long for.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the positive and negative aspects of living where you are.

Slan,
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Unwind,

Your right!! It's not looking too promising on the team formation. I actually thought there would be more interest than this. Looks like I'll have to stick to the soccer or maybe I'll try a bit of Rugby, although I might be a bit small for that.... I'm not a Dub, I'm from Cavan so maybe to say "the highest level" was a bit ambitious!!

I'm new enough to the Caribbean, but I'm sure there are other "veterans" on this site who will be happy to give you advice about different places. I have had a slightly different experience to many, in that I came here alone originally for the short term but was lucky enough to meet my fiancee, a true Bajan.
I'm involved in construction myself. I am an Architectural Technician so if you looking for any plans to be drawn up, give me a shout.

From my limited experience here so far, there are many pros and cons to living here in Barbados (I have never been to any of the other islands, so cant comment!!)
Pros: beautiful weather, beautiful beaches, beautiful women, laid back culture (similar to home a few years ago), relatively safe environment, friendly people (I don't mean that everyone says hello or smiles, but I mean, when you get to know these people or become involved with them in clubs etc. they are mostly very warm and welcoming).
Bare in mind that the weather/beach thing is by far the main advantage and out weighs alot of the negative factors which I will now list.
Cons: High cost of living compared to income, relatively poor infrastructure, too much noisy traffic, laid back culture (yes it is a pro and a con.... it can be a real pain when you are trying to get something done!!), poor customer service (alot of service staff have a real chip on there shoulder), a generally defeatist attitude prevails amongst the locals when you discuss any new business ideas or changes to how things might be done (I find this very frustrating, as I am the eternal optimist when it comes to new ideas). Oh and the last thing, there is no Gaelic football here!!!!

All my observations are based on my individual experiences and are very subjective, I'm sure other people will have entirely different Pro/Con lists.

Good luck with your plans though and hope everything goes to plan.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

unwind is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Cuchullain, Cavan-Highest level

Was in Barbados in Dec 06, I remember the traffic well- Ronald Map highway if I remember correctly! Reminded me of the M50, used it quite often to get to St Lawrence as we were staying on the West coast.
Was walking back from a beach one day at Spikestown and looked behind and a Babboon was following us, kids got a great kick out of it.
Also went to the Barbados Island history cabaret which is a great night out, free rum all night, fell out of the place!
I really enjoyed my holiday and no disrespect to Barbados but I've also been to Antigua which I found far more beautiful, unspoilt and friendly.

Hows the Construction industry where you are?
I've been building one off houses and extensions over here but things have ground to a halt as you well know. No point in wasting my prime years chasing my tail over here so a move is on the cards for a couple of years.
As the emigration laws are stringent my way around it is to buy a site and build myself.

Sounds like you fell on your feet with a local "Rhianna". Enjoy the lifestyle while you can!

Slan,
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:25 pm
Banned

reslax is an unknown quantity at this point

Unwind,

Soon there won't be any "unspoilt" islands in the Caribbean, so enjoy them while you can. The Caribbean islands will be spoilt by the throngs of people flocking to them in search of "unspoilt" places, lol.

Last edited by reslax; Nov 24th 2009 at 10:32 pm.