Fresh vegetables

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Michael Digby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fresh vegetables

Okay so we have finally moved here and are trying to experience as much of the local scene as possible. One thing that we are curious about are fruit vegetables - now when I say curious I mean we are NOT THAT interested as we are not great cooks but we do want to buy locally grown produce and here is the problem. We live in Weston St. James and started off our food shopping in the large supermarkets with the intention of buying fruit & veg locally but and this is the big but, when we have bought stuff from vendors at the side of the road we have paid up to four times as much as the supermarket. And I am not exagerating!!! What are we doing wrong?

Also, we bought some mangos from a roadside seller - thinking they were local and guess what ............ apart from being three times more expensive than the UK they had stickers on them saying'Grown in Peru' ..... er what is that all about??

All this said - we are having the time of our lives - just wish we had done it five years ago.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

nilocp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fresh vegetables

Michael, PM sent.

Colin
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:20 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fresh vegetables

Michael, what you will learn while here is what is in season and what is not.. Mango's are not in Season right now.. so yes, they likely are imported from somewhere else. at some point, they will be in abundance.. just like green beans.. there will a period of time (I recall the last time was over a period of at least a year or more) that I couldn't purchase a green bean to save my life.. right now.. I can.. but at that time.. they were seasonal.. and when they were in season, I was told by a farmer.. no one was farming them.

as an alternate.. there are several weekend Markets.. Brighton Market in St. George. Holders Market in St. James (up Holders Hill) and Hastings market on the southcoast. but go early, or you will miss out.. good luck. and welcome to Barbados.