Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Flights from Barbados to Europe for under 12?

Flights from Barbados to Europe for under 12?

Old May 30th 2007, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Flights from Barbados to Europe for under 12?

Hi,

I am currently planning all regarding our relocation to Barbados in 2008, and there is one issue I am very unsure about:
My daughter will have to go to Austria at least 2 times a year during holidays, because her father is here and of course wants to see her as often as possible. I just looked for flights out of Barbados to Austria or Germany, which seems to be impossible or way too expensive. So maybe you can give me some information about flights to the UK, which are affordable for a then 11 year old girl - she will travel alone sometimes, so it should be a reliable airline too......

Thanks for your help!
Old May 30th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights from Barbados to Europe for under 12?

Originally Posted by Belinda1974 View Post
Hi,

I am currently planning all regarding our relocation to Barbados in 2008, and there is one issue I am very unsure about:
My daughter will have to go to Austria at least 2 times a year during holidays, because her father is here and of course wants to see her as often as possible. I just looked for flights out of Barbados to Austria or Germany, which seems to be impossible or way too expensive. So maybe you can give me some information about flights to the UK, which are affordable for a then 11 year old girl - she will travel alone sometimes, so it should be a reliable airline too......

Thanks for your help!
The closest thing to Central Europe that flies to/from Barbados is Condor Airlines:

That flies direct from:
Barbados-Sir Grantley Adams International Airport (BGI)
To:
Germany-Frankfurt International Airport (FRA)

Also all of the airlines/direct routes to Barbados are listed on this page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grantle...tional_Airport

~Tropical_11th

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; May 30th 2007 at 1:46 pm.
Old May 30th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Tropical,

but Condor is very expensive, about 1.200,- Euros - thats too much....I try to avoid them whenever I can....I even prefer to fly via UK to avoid them
Old May 30th 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks for your help!
I know it's none of my business. But are you splitting the cost for tickets with her father? Couldn't you arrange to let her go in the summerholiday, and when her dad wants to see her more he has to come to BB?
It's a worry isn't it? My two oldest sons stayed with their dad in Holland to finish their education. I payed for my second oldest son to come over the first year and he never left. A year later my oldest son came over and stayed..
Before I left to BB we didn't make any arangements of seeing eachother. But I have to admit, my sons were old enough to make their own desicions.

I reackon BA and Virgin are the most reliable ones, but also the most expensive.
Old May 30th 2007, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Hiya,

I'm in a similar position and have agreed with my daughters dad that I will pay his fare to come to Barbados in the (English) winter and I will then take her to the UK in the summer. It works out cheaper for me to pay for him to fly to Barbados as I am only paying one flight...

Maybe you could suggest this?

I too would say BA or VIrgin are the most reputable but not cheap, although if you look out for their sales you can sometimes get a good deal.

Sue
Old May 30th 2007, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the suggestions!
At the moment it is not that easy because I recently told her father that we will move to Barbados, and - he was "not amused" if you understand.....
Now I want to wait until I return from the trip to Barbados in July, then I hopefully know more about job, housing, schools etc.....And I really hope that we find an agreement regarding her visits.. I am pretty sure, that, after a while, he will visit us there (he is a travel freak as well), but for the first year I think she will have to go to Austria. It won´t be a big problem for the first visit since I have to return to Austria in June or July for my graduation exam, but afterwards (probably at Xmas) she will have to fly alone, as unaccompanied minor (like the airlines call it), if he won´t be willing to come to BB then...............
Unfortunately XL doesn´t accept unaccompanied children, so probably we will have to use either BA or Virgin. Virgin is a good choice because you can buy tickets with money plus miles, often for a way better price than the normal paid tickets. Thats how I fly this July, I paid GBP 429,- instead of 661,-! And I only had to give 2000 miles from my flying club membership. Thats pretty cool I think.

So, let´s see what will happen within the next months...I can only hope that her father will "calm down" soon (or later...) and willing to talk to me again

But its good to hear that I am not the only one, "fighting" with an ex-partner
Old May 30th 2007, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Thanks for the suggestions!
At the moment it is not that easy because I recently told her father that we will move to Barbados, and - he was "not amused" if you understand.....
Now I want to wait until I return from the trip to Barbados in July, then I hopefully know more about job, housing, schools etc.....And I really hope that we find an agreement regarding her visits.. I am pretty sure, that, after a while, he will visit us there (he is a travel freak as well), but for the first year I think she will have to go to Austria. It won´t be a big problem for the first visit since I have to return to Austria in June or July for my graduation exam, but afterwards (probably at Xmas) she will have to fly alone, as unaccompanied minor (like the airlines call it), if he won´t be willing to come to BB then...............
Unfortunately XL doesn´t accept unaccompanied children, so probably we will have to use either BA or Virgin. Virgin is a good choice because you can buy tickets with money plus miles, often for a way better price than the normal paid tickets. Thats how I fly this July, I paid GBP 429,- instead of 661,-! And I only had to give 2000 miles from my flying club membership. Thats pretty cool I think.

So, let´s see what will happen within the next months...I can only hope that her father will "calm down" soon (or later...) and willing to talk to me again

But its good to hear that I am not the only one, "fighting" with an ex-partner
Oh darling, I know how hard it can be! Give him some time to get use to the idea, sooner or later he has to accept it. When my boys were younger I went and lived in the US with my husband now and the boys and had an enormous fight about it with their dad, and it became very nasty, custody attacks enz... Don't let it intimidate you.You want a better life for your family, then it's give and take both ways!
Old May 30th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your posting, I am sure that it will be better after some time, but at the moment it is just hell....thank god that my husband and my whole family is behind me. I understand that it is not easy for him to take this, but he will come over it and I promised my daughter to do all that she will see him as often as possible. But there have been moments in the last days, I was really down, and I couldnt be happy with anything..but now I am just looking forward to leave Austria, and first - be on de island in July!!