Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Finding a house to rent is not so easy

Finding a house to rent is not so easy

Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Finding a house to rent is not so easy

I know I have to be there in the flesh to hunt down a place to live as they probably go quick. But geeeez.....it's just so frustrating trying to find a place. I've checked out more than 10 real estate companies/websites etc and they still show properties that have long gone (sales tactics to get you to call). Then they promise to get back to you and don't (guess I'll have to get used to this!).

It seems that there is not much turn around on rental properties right now??? Many of the one's that are available are up the west coast and we are looking at St Michaels/ ChCH are even in St George might be a possibility.

Oh well will just have to keep hanging in there and fingers crossed something will turn up.

Any other idea's?

RS
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finding a house to rent is not so easy

Originally Posted by Rumswizz
I know I have to be there in the flesh to hunt down a place to live as they probably go quick. But geeeez.....it's just so frustrating trying to find a place. I've checked out more than 10 real estate companies/websites etc and they still show properties that have long gone (sales tactics to get you to call). Then they promise to get back to you and don't (guess I'll have to get used to this!).

It seems that there is not much turn around on rental properties right now??? Many of the one's that are available are up the west coast and we are looking at St Michaels/ ChCH are even in St George might be a possibility.

Oh well will just have to keep hanging in there and fingers crossed something will turn up.

Any other idea's?

Saturdays news papers are full with it, Nation and the Advocate.
Might get it on line
RS
What a load of rubbish, I wanted to send this but got a message that my message is too short
Well. not anymore
Huh? Now I lost half of my message..!
Anyway, saturdays newspaper, Nation and the Advocate are full with rentals.
You might get them on line
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

I also looked at millions of real estate sites, and up to now filtered out about 3 or 4 which answered my emails very fast (really!) and seemed very competent and friendly. For example: mls-caribbean.com, Champion Realty, Terra and Global Estate Agency. They all had properties on their website which would suit our needs and financial plans, and in July I will call them there and hopefully visit some properties.
With which companies did you make these bad experiences? Would be great if you could share these here....
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
I also looked at millions of real estate sites, and up to now filtered out about 3 or 4 which answered my emails very fast (really!) and seemed very competent and friendly. For example: mls-caribbean.com, Champion Realty, Terra and Global Estate Agency. They all had properties on their website which would suit our needs and financial plans, and in July I will call them there and hopefully visit some properties.
With which companies did you make these bad experiences? Would be great if you could share these here....
Did Tony of Terra mailed you?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

@Cathy:

Don´t know who send me the email, but they prompted very fast which is rare
I think I will first give Champion Realty a chance, they have some very nice properties in several parishes inland, which would be our favourite regions to live. We would like to avoid St. Michael, and would prefer St. Joseph, St. Andrew, St. James or St. Peter, but it will depend on the school for Melina......at the moment I am totally unsure about this topic, because somebody in here recommended me some government schools, but a friend of mine who lives in Barbados now told me that these schools are the most wanted ones and that we won´t get a place for her there So schools are a hot topic at the moment................My friend recommended to give St. Winifred a try, but what I heard in here made me worry about it.....any recommendations?????
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

@Cathy:

Don´t know who send me the email, but they prompted very fast which is rare
I think I will first give Champion Realty a chance, they have some very nice properties in several parishes inland, which would be our favourite regions to live. We would like to avoid St. Michael, and would prefer St. Joseph, St. Andrew, St. James or St. Peter, but it will depend on the school for Melina......at the moment I am totally unsure about this topic, because somebody in here recommended me some government schools, but a friend of mine who lives in Barbados now told me that these schools are the most wanted ones and that we won´t get a place for her there So schools are a hot topic at the moment................My friend recommended to give St. Winifred a try, but what I heard in here made me worry about it.....any recommendations?????
Hi Belinda,
he replied to us the very next day and that was so nice for a change

I understand your problem about schooling and know not every government school has enough room for more students. But there's always one of them who has. You know what I think of Winnifred's but maybe you'll find it not that bad. The difference I believe with your daughter and mine is the age my daughter was then, she went to primary, while your daughter goes to secondary. Also Winnifreds only has girls in secondary and to be honest I find that a bit old fashion. I want my daughter to interact with boys aswell. Winnifreds primary had a lot more girls than boys and my daughter couldn't get on with most of them. She called them too girly and bitchy
Beside that I couldn't stand their mothers

To be honest , If I was you I wouldn't give up on government schools, just try your hardest to find a place for your daughter. Obviously it's hard to do if you haven't got a clue when you're going to move.

Just follow your heart Belinda, you know your daughter best and would know if she'd be a happy bunny in a school like Winnifred's.
If she's similar to mine she'd hate it
Naomi isn't a girly girl but also not a boyish one. She hates drama and gossip , loves sports, a good laugh and is very down to earth.

Speak soon, Cathyxx
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi Cathy,

thanks for this posting!
Well, Melina is similar to Naomi I think, based on what you wrote about her.....Melina too is not a "girlie", I think compared to many other girls in her age here in our town she is "normal". For example most of her schoolmates are allowed to buy designer clothes all the time, some of them already use make-up!!!!! Hello?? She is 10, will be 11 in October, and for me and regarding education I would say I am strict on these topics. This is also one fact that causes me to move because I think that the general children´s education in Barbados is better than here, more strict, which I appreciate very much.

I totally ignored that Melina won´t be able to complete her first year of secondary here in Austria because we will move in January (hopefully), which means that she then attended first class of secondary only for few months. So she will have to attend 4th class of primary in Barbados I think, right?? I think this will be way better for her too, because so she will be able to "accomodate" slowly and easier. Can you recommend a good primary (government)?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Cathy,

thanks for this posting!
Well, Melina is similar to Naomi I think, based on what you wrote about her.....Melina too is not a "girlie", I think compared to many other girls in her age here in our town she is "normal". For example most of her schoolmates are allowed to buy designer clothes all the time, some of them already use make-up!!!!! Hello?? She is 10, will be 11 in October, and for me and regarding education I would say I am strict on these topics. This is also one fact that causes me to move because I think that the general children´s education in Barbados is better than here, more strict, which I appreciate very much.

I totally ignored that Melina won´t be able to complete her first year of secondary here in Austria because we will move in January (hopefully), which means that she then attended first class of secondary only for few months. So she will have to attend 4th class of primary in Barbados I think, right?? I think this will be way better for her too, because so she will be able to "accomodate" slowly and easier. Can you recommend a good primary (government)?
Yeah,make up is a big thing here aswell, and I just find it ridicilous for a young girl!!

You're right about BB schools being strict and don't you find the kids are so well behaved?

Secondary in BB starts at the age of 11. Melina, I believe, has to finish last year of primary untill summer holidays next year.
It might be a good thing, like you said, so she can get use to the system.

To find a school might depend on where you going to live. I only know about some schools on the west coast.
Barbados - SCHOOLS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want to be listed at the top of this page? CLICK HERE
Academy Of Learning. Suite 403 3rd Fl Norman Centre Broad St, B'town, Barbados - (24...
Alexandra School. Principal's Ofc, St Ptr, Barbados - (24...
All Saints' Primary School. , St Ptr, Barbados - (24...
Alleyne School. Bellaplaine, St A, Barbados - (24...
Alma Parris Memorial Secondary School. Pricipal, St Ptr, Barbados - (24...
At Lawrence Composite. , Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
Auntie Frances Primary School. Inch Marloe, Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
Barbados Dance Theatre Co The. Erin Hall Bishops Court Hill, St M, Barbados - (24...
Bay Primary. , St M, Barbados - (24...
Belmont Primanry , St M, Barbados - (24...
Boscobel Primary. , St Ptr, Barbados - (24...
Carrington's primary , St M, Barbados - (24...
Chalky Mount Primary , St M, Barbados - (24...
Charles F Broome Memorial Primary , St M, Barbados - (24...
Christ Church Boys. Maxwell, , Barbados - (24...
Christ Church Girls. , Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
Christian learning Clinic. Kew Road Tudor Brige, St M, Barbados - (24...
Clifton Hill. Southborough, , Barbados - (24...
Codrighton School The. , St Jo, Barbados - (24...
Coleridge & Parry Schol , St Ptr, Barbados - (24...
Combermere , St M, Barbados - (24...
Cooperative High School. Gov't Hill, St M, Barbados - (24...
Cuthbert Moore Primary School. , St G, Barbados - (24...
Deacon's Primary. , St M, Barbados - (24...
Deighton Griffith Secondary School Kingsland Main Rd, Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
Eagle Hall Primary. Office, , Barbados - (24...
Ellerslie Secondary School. Principal's Ofc, St m, Barbados - (24...
Ellerton Primary School , St G, Barbados - (24...
Erdiston Teacher Training College. Principal's Ofc, , Barbados - (24...
Erdiston nursery. , St M, Barbados - (24...
Foundation School Principal's Ofc, Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
Garrison Secondary School Principal's Ofc, St M, Barbados - (24...
Gill Ismay Mrs. 10 Cane Vale Gdns, Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
Good Shepherd Primary School. , St Jas, Barbados - (24...
Gordan Greenidge. Principal's Ofc, St Ptr, Barbados - (24...
Government Hill Nursery , St M, Barbados - (24...
Grantley Adams memorial School. , St Jas, Barbados - (24...
Grazettes primary. , St M, Barbados - (24...
Half Moon Frot Primary. , St law, Barbados - (24...
Harrison College. Crumpton St , principal ofc, , Barbados - (24...
Hilda Skeene. , St Ph, Barbados - (24...
Hillaby Truner Hall Primary , St Th, Barbados - (24...
Hindsbury Primary (Girls) , St M, Barbados - (24...
Housecraft Centre. , St M, Barbados - (24...
Ignatius Byer . , St Ptr, Barbados - (24...
Industrial High School. Heddings, St Ph, Barbados - (24...
Industrial School Government. PBX, , Barbados - (24...
Lodge School. Principal's Ofc, St Jo, Barbados - (24...
Luther Thorne Memorial School The. Pine Wildey, , Barbados - (24...
Metropolitan High School Inc. Roebuck, St M, Barbados - (24...
Mount Tabor Primary. , St Jo, Barbados - (24...
People' Cathedral Primary School Bishop's Court Hill School Ofc, , Barbados - (24...
Precious Angles Pre School. Bay St, St M, Barbados - (24...
Princess Margaret Secondary. Principal's Ofc, St M, Barbados - (24...
Queen 's College. Husbands, St Jas, Barbados - (24...
Rock Christian School The. Glenboig Strathclyde Dr, St M, Barbados - (24...
Roland Edwards Primary School , St Ptr, Barbados - (24...
Samuel Jackman Prescod poytechinc Wildey PABX, , Barbados - (24...
Selah Primary. office, , Barbados - (24...
Seventh Day Adventists Abingdon Dalkeith Rd, , Barbados - (24...
Sharon Primary , St Jo, Barbados - (24...
Society Primary , St Th, Barbados - (24...
South District , St G, Barbados - (24...
Springer Memorial Girls' Secondary. Principal's Ofc, St M, Barbados - (24...
St Alban's Infants , St Jas, Barbados - (24...
St Alban's Junior. , St Jas, Barbados - (24...
St Anrew Primary School. , St A, Barbados - (24...
St Bartholomew's Primary School. , Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
St Bernard Primary. , St Jos, Barbados - (24...
St Catherine's Primary. , St Ph, Barbados - (24...
St Christopher's Boys , Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
St Christopher's Girls. , Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
St Cyprians Preparatory Boys School. Arch Ct Terr Brittons X rd, St M, Barbados - (24...
St David's Primary. , Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
St Elizabeth primary , St Jos, Barbados - (24...
St Gabriel's Secondary , St G, Barbados - (24...
St George Secondary. , St G, Barbados - (24...
St George's Primary. , St G, Barbados - (24...
St Giles Primary. , St M, Barbados - (24...
St James Primary School , St Jas, Barbados - (24...
St James Secondary School. Principal's Ofc, St Jas, Barbados - (24...
St John's Primary. , St Jo, Barbados - (24...
St Joseph Primary. , St Jos, Barbados - (24...
St Jude's Primary. , St G, Barbados - (24...
St Leonards boys' Secretary School Principal's Ofc, St M, Barbados - (24...
St Luccy primary. , St L, Barbados - (24...
St Lucy Secondry. Principal's Ofc, St L, Barbados - (24...
St Luke's - Brighton Primary. , St G, Barbados - (24...
St Martin's - Mangrove Primary , St Ph, Barbados - (24...
St Mary's Primary. , St M, Barbados - (24...
St Matthias Primary School. , Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
St Michael School The., Pricipal, St M, Barbados - (24...
St Philip's Primary. , St Ph, Barbados - (24...
St Silas Primary. , St Jas, Barbados - (24...
St Simon's St Saviour's Primary. , St A, Barbados - (24...
St Stephen's Nursery , St M, Barbados - (24...
St Stephen's Primary School. Black Rock, St M, Barbados - (24...
St Winifred's School. Pine Hill, St M, Barbados - (24...
St margaret's Primary. , St Jo, Barbados - (24...
St patrick's primary. , Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
St paul's Primary , St M, Barbados - (24...
The learning Centre. Orange Hill, St Jas, Barbados - (246) 432-976
Vauxhall Primary. , Ch Ch, Barbados - (24...
Venezuelan Inst Of Culture & Cooperation Grand View Rockley, , Barbados - (24...
Welches Primary. , St Th, Barbados - (24...
Wesley Hall Infants. King St, St M, Barbados - (24...
Wesley Hall Junior Boys. , St M, Barbados - (24...
West Terrace Primary School. , St Jas, Barbados - (24...
Westbury Primary School Office, , Barbados - (24...
Wilkie Cumberbatch Primary. , St M, Barbados - (24...
Workman's Primary. , St G, Barbados - (24...
lawerence T Gray Memorail Primary , St M, Barbados - (24...
lester Vaughn School The. Principal's Ofc, St Th, Barbados - (24...
parkinson Memorial Secondary. , St M, Barbados - (24...

Have a look at this
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

WOW, thanks - this will fill my boring evening today )))))
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

@Cathy:
Another question: can you tell me when the trimester in Barbados start and end and when they have holidays in schools?? Because in a few days I have a "meeting" with Melinas father and I would like to talk with him about when he will be able to see her...so I would need to know when she will have holidays there......would be nice if you could give me some help on this.....
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

@Cathy:
Another question: can you tell me when the trimester in Barbados start and end and when they have holidays in schools?? Because in a few days I have a "meeting" with Melinas father and I would like to talk with him about when he will be able to see her...so I would need to know when she will have holidays there......would be nice if you could give me some help on this.....

They have similar holidays as the UK, and I'm terrible with remembering
They have these expressions as half term, something we in Holland call spring and autumn. Then there's obviously Christmas, easter and summer.
But I don't know the exact dates for this, sorry
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

I found the dates of the terms and holidays on the Government Education site. They have 2x 3 weeks and 1x 9 weeks holidays, thats cool!!!!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

I found the dates of the terms and holidays on the Government Education site. They have 2x 3 weeks and 1x 9 weeks holidays, thats cool!!!!
Summerholidays are manic!!! Lots of kids in Bridgetown all day long
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

wofbart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rumswizz

Any other idea's?

RS
If you find your self stuck drop me a line have a house in St micheal wich you coul rent till you get sorted.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wofbart
If you find your self stuck drop me a line have a house in St micheal wich you coul rent till you get sorted.
Thanks for the offer, will defintely keep you in mind........I'm hoping to be positive a our little dream pad will show up!

Cheers

RS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.