British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Ferry Service Has Been Put on Hold (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/ferry-service-has-been-put-hold-643447/)

reslax Dec 5th 2009 12:53 am

Ferry Service Has Been Put on Hold

Those of you who were looking forward to having the new ferry service will have to wait longer. According to today's Nation newspaper,

"CARIBBEAN TRAVELLERS will have to wait a bit longer before those cheap ferry trips come sailing in. BEDY Ocean Lines, the company which had promised to start its ferry service between Barbados, St Lucia, St Vincent, Trinidad and Grenada by last month, has put it on hold. There seems to be trouble in the BEDY camp as well, as Arthur Hosten, a Grenadian national who was marketing manager for the project, has called it quits..."

"Chief executive officer (CEO) of BEDY, Benjamin Ross, on the ocean line's website, apologised to regional travellers, but said the company remained committed to getting the service started as soon as possible..."

Ikon Dec 5th 2009 1:32 am

Re: Ferry Service Has Been Put on Hold

That's a shame, hope it all still goes ahead!

neal brown Dec 5th 2009 8:00 pm

:fingerscrossed:Ikon i need some help here...Can you or anyone please tell me how in high heaven a 24 foot boat can carry 300 passenger through the caribbean?:blink:

Ikon Dec 5th 2009 8:10 pm

No idea, Neal.... can't say boats are my area of expertise, but I guess BEDY know what they're doing.
I hope they work it all out and it goes ahead, the more options we have, the cheaper & more accessible it will be to travel to other islands.

neal brown Dec 5th 2009 9:47 pm

Well i was waiting for this for a long time and very eager to travel through the caribbean this way,hope everything gets on the way soon, but at 24 foot i surely will be sticking with LIAT.:rofl:

Cuchullain Dec 6th 2009 2:37 pm

Neal, the boats which Bedy are going to use are 24 METRES (about 80 feet)not 24 feet. They can easily accomodate 300 passengers on 2 decks. Boats very similar to this operate in Fiji between the out lying islands and the main island and having travelled on this boats I can confirm that they are quite comfortable.
I really hope this services gets up and running soon. The best way to arrive to any island is by sea!!

neal brown Dec 6th 2009 2:59 pm

Thank you for the info , i know it could not be correct (24feet) but i was just quoting from what i have read in the nation news many times.:thumbup:

bamiskados Dec 8th 2009 1:10 pm

Just goes to show, not to believe everything written in the newspapers.