British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Feather pillows (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/feather-pillows-551214/)

afish Jul 25th 2008 4:24 pm

Feather pillows

My friend, who lives in Bermuda, tells me that the humidity there causes feather pillows to clump together.

Barbados doesn't get as wet as Bermuda so I was wondering if the same thing happens.

To all those that have or had feather pillows.....are they a waste of time in Barbados?

Thanks x

Sunniebgi Jul 26th 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Feather pillows

I would actually think they are a waste of time to bring them to Barbados unless you have plan to keep them in an airconditioned bedroom. during the "rainy" season, usually June to November (but other times as well), it's just plain damp. our windows are open almost 100pct of the time so it's damp inside and out. (or it feels that way to me)

Netsirk Jul 26th 2008 9:25 pm

I'd expect them to clump together.

The humidity today is 80% and it hasn't 'really' rained in the last 3-4 days.

I vote they are a waste of time.

Now Starbuck's - THAT is worth your time.

PS: I find it pretty funny that all of the sites where you can get basic info on Barbados (weather, altitude etc...) say that the humidity tops out at ~70%... hahaha!!!!

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 26th 2008 9:41 pm

The cliche "it's not the heat, it's the humidity" must have been invented in Barbados :rofl:

And we complain about humidity in Toronto... ha! It only lasts about a month there.

I second the opinions about feather pillows likely being a waste of time. Send Starbucks instead (kidding.... sort of... well not really... okay I'm a SB addict...)

Sunniebgi Jul 27th 2008 3:09 pm

it is funny about the Humidity. I've been in the states, specifially NC for the last 3 weeks.. My hubby arrived here and the end of last week (for 3 more weeks).. and said.. it's hot here, but the humidity in NC feels alot less than in Barbados.

My question.. have you ever been in North Carolina in the middle of August when it is 99degrees outside and 99pct Humidity under Carolina Pine Trees??? Not something I wish upon anyone.. Been there done that all my life.

The nice thing about Barbados is, there almost always seems to be a breeze, whether it's humid or not. Here (in NC) don't even see the leafs moving. (but it's home and I love being here, even if it is for a short trip).

and yes Neskirk.. Starbucks for sure.. hehehe

PS.. did you hear that Starbucks plans to close something like 600 stores nation wide. and now, apparently, they may not close that many because of many many petitions that have been signed to keep the stores hope.. CoffeeHeads Unit...

Netsirk Jul 27th 2008 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 6615947)
it is funny about the Humidity. I've been in the states, specifially NC for the last 3 weeks.. My hubby arrived here and the end of last week (for 3 more weeks).. and said.. it's hot here, but the humidity in NC feels alot less than in Barbados.

My question.. have you ever been in North Carolina in the middle of August when it is 99degrees outside and 99pct Humidity under Carolina Pine Trees??? Not something I wish upon anyone.. Been there done that all my life.

The nice thing about Barbados is, there almost always seems to be a breeze, whether it's humid or not. Here (in NC) don't even see the leafs moving. (but it's home and I love being here, even if it is for a short trip).

and yes Neskirk.. Starbucks for sure.. hehehe

PS.. did you hear that Starbucks plans to close something like 600 stores nation wide. and now, apparently, they may not close that many because of many many petitions that have been signed to keep the stores hope.. CoffeeHeads Unit...

Yep, we're from Toronto and it's the same there. It's 100 degrees, the humidity is 90%, the air DOES NOT MOVE, and the buildings/pavement hold the heat. So even when the air cools at night, you can feel the heat coming off of the ground, even the concrete park benches....

Horray for Starbucks'!! I heard that they are finding they've expanded too fast and with the economy slowing down people aren't so happy to dole out $5 for a coffee haha!!