British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Family of five (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/family-five-932057/)

helloshuban Apr 4th 2020 3:45 pm

Family of five

Hi
we are a family of 2+ 3 kids aged 11, 7 & 3 moving to Barbados from UK by August this year.
would be interest to know approximately the cost of health cover , school fee and rent for a 4 bed furnished/ unfurnished apartment or house .
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Happyowner Apr 4th 2020 10:59 pm

Re: Family of five

Hello there. First of all I think you may have change your removal date because it is possible that Covid !9 will still be on the Island.

Secondly, surely your future employer who has obtained a Work Permit for you to enable you to come here ( unless you are a returning Bajan of course? ) , will be able to help you with advice re renting a house, etc.

To enable people to give advice then I think we need more details, like the area you will be working in etc. I'm sure you have done a lot of research about your future home and the area you would prefer to live as that will have a huge bearing on rent, schools etc.

Serendipidy Apr 5th 2020 1:00 pm

Hi Shuban there are lots and lots of information on this forum that talk about the cost of living in Bim. I personally thing that the timing will change for you guys as well. To understand rental costs you would need to give an idea of which area because just like the UK rental is very different

helloshuban Apr 5th 2020 2:31 pm

Thanks for replying.
I am thinking of either living near to a school or near to my place of work. If it’s the latter it will be ST. Michael because I believe it’s near to the hospital.
Currently in UK, my house is near to the primary school making it easy for my wife to do the school runs and my work place is about 30 min drive during rush hour.
I have done the math about cost of living for my family annually in the UK and it’s coming to 60,000 GBP and this included every thing from paying my mortgage, car insurances , gas, electric, council tax, food, leisure, travel and shopping. My kids went to council school and NHS is free.
I would be interested to know if I had to sustain a similar life style including paying for kids education and health care insurance will a net salary of 60K be enough.
Regards

SanDiegogirl Apr 5th 2020 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by helloshuban (Post 12833475)
Thanks for replying.
I am thinking of either living near to a school or near to my place of work. If it’s the latter it will be ST. Michael because I believe it’s near to the hospital.
Currently in UK, my house is near to the primary school making it easy for my wife to do the school runs and my work place is about 30 min drive during rush hour.
I have done the math about cost of living for my family annually in the UK and it’s coming to 60,000 GBP and this included every thing from paying my mortgage, car insurances , gas, electric, council tax, food, leisure, travel and shopping. My kids went to council school and NHS is free.
I would be interested to know if I had to sustain a similar life style including paying for kids education and health care insurance will a net salary of 60K be enough.
Regards

Do you have a job to go to offering you this salary? or are you going speculatively? If the latter what visa do you have to do this?

Sunniebgi Apr 6th 2020 1:07 am

I agree with everything every one else has said. The world as we know it right now is changing on a daily basis. . if you are a british citizen, you cannot just come and live here unless you have a substantial income base to work from for assurance from our government. If you have a job offer, much depends on whether that offer still stands in the next few months AND whether the govt has been able to process a needed work permit. Your family will be resident only as a part of your work permit and your children will require student visa's for school based on that permit as well.

there are many posts, even if they are a year or 2 old (not much changes) about schools and houses etc. at this point, we have NO IDEA what the world will look like, what housing will cost etc.. there are a number of websites, real estate agencies etc, that will give you general prices right now, but I expect those to change. .Higher?? lower? who knows. if you job is near or at the hospital, and you need to be close, there are several schools that will fit the bill for all 3 of your children in that area.. however you may find that housing close to the hospital may not be what you are looking for , so. it will take time to look,

As someone else said. .your employer if that's what you are coming for should be able to assist and guide you with many of these questions you have.

good luck with all..

helloshuban Jul 18th 2020 4:07 pm

Hi Sunniebgi,
I have seen a couple of your posts about schools, which I find interesting because you had your kids at private and public school.
can I request you to please advise me . How do I contact you .
Thanks

Sunniebgi Jul 19th 2020 1:19 pm

Hi Helloshuban.. now that you have 3 posts, I can contact you , or we can contact each other, via the direct message system on here..

asamac Aug 15th 2020 7:52 am

Originally Posted by helloshuban (Post 12832977)
Hi
we are a family of 2+ 3 kids aged 11, 7 & 3 moving to Barbados from UK by August this year.
would be interest to know approximately the cost of health cover , school fee and rent for a 4 bed furnished/ unfurnished apartment or house .
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Morning Helloshuban, your situation sounds remarkably similar to mine (but with two boys) and I'd love to hear how you got on. We're coming over on the Welcome Stamp thingy in December (though that might need to move a few weeks). Did Covid derail your plans?