Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Expats Leaving Barbados..Why?

Expats Leaving Barbados..Why?

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Pasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expats Leaving Barbados..Why?

Finance was just one (major) issue with having to pay for private School for 3 children who were not getting the best education they could get in the U.K. for free.
The other issues were constantly being stared at in an unfriendly way (predominantly by black barbadians) whenever i entered a 'Chicken Barn', constantly being begged on every time I went into Bridgetown, even in Cave Shepherd, rude disinterest shown to me and my wife by shopkeepers, being offered cocaine by beach drug dealers, even at 10 a.m. while i was with my children, drug dealers on almost every corner and their obvious gang affiliations shown by either blue or red scarves. People walking around obviously stoned out of their brains or mentally ill. The lack of decent service from the National Health there. Extractions being the only option for dental treatment on ht eNational health (hence the abundance of people with teeth missing). The appalling 'service' offered in the Poly-clinics conpared to my U.K. G.P.
Constantly feeling that everyone there is 'on the take'. these are just a few of the issues.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:10 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

wowow.. that's interesting.
1. Schooling. Education in Barbados is fabulous.. Not sure what private school your children went to, but the primary school my 3 attended was fabulous in all areas of teaching. My girls went to private secondary, which was fine, and my son is at one of the top government secondary schools on the island and doing well.. and the rates from private primary in Barbados are far far less that those in the US or the UK. (of course if you chose Codrington that might be a bit different) . and, even as a foreign national you could have sent your children to government school.. I have expat friends who chose to go that route with their children.. just apply at the Ministry of Education.. I think you do actually have to pay something for that.. but not in the realm of private schools (on average.. private primary schools are about 2000.00bbd per term )..

2. Guess I've been here for to long (22years) to allow someone staring at me to bother me. Everytime I'm in Bridgetown I get asked if I want a taxi.. I'm white and it's assumed I'm a tourist.. I simply shake my head and say no and go on..

3. Druggies.. oh.. they are around.. but I certainly wouldn't say everyone.. and even gang affiliations?? really?? Been here 22 years and never asked to purchase any type of drug on the beach..

4. I don't use public health, except when my children needed regular vaccinations for schools.. Private health care isn't expensive.. and who on gods green earth told you to go to a poly-clinic.. steered in the wrong direction you where.. of course if you are using your UK status to get Free Health in Barbados.. I guess you should have thought to go private..would have been better..

5.. and extractions is certainly NOT the norm in Barbados for teeth issues.. again.. why did you go public for that as well.

My serious question is.. who did you talk to?? who guided you into thinking that public health was the way to go?? oh wait.. that's what you use in the UK?? or is it your only choice..

Even my Barbadian Born Husband doesn't use public health here..

I'm sorry that you had a bad time in Barbados. but please don't generalize.. the choices you made were guided by someone or something.. and maybe you need to consult with them about it.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Sunnni.. I would have to agree with most of what you say there....except perhaps the drugs on the beach.... whilst I have never been offered my wife manages a beach club and she knows that drugs are regularly offered... however her take on it is that if there wasn't a market the dealers wouldn't be looking to sell..
Old Apr 24th 2015, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Bentham is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience so far is mostly the same as Sunniebgi's.

I am here since August. No drug offers so far, have never seen any scarfs, otherwise my son would have asked about those 'scouts'. But I am a female, so lots of horny men proposing themselves. But I just say "no, thank you" and I do not see them anymore. Yes, taxi offers in Bridgetown each time. People begging for change, but this happens in Canada as well.

School. Yes the locals dissuaded me from going to the catchment area school saying that my son would be bullied for being white. But he was bullied at his British school too and the school was not cooperative. So he went to St. Gabriel's here for 3100 BBS per term and their is a bunch of affordable after-school clubs. The teaching is excellent. In Scotland I did a lot of home schooling, he showed obvious gaps in his knowledge at the entrance test at St. Gabriel's. This is all gone now. I do not do any home schooling anymore. My only concern is science because it is taught by PE teacher (but my son does well by reading the textbook) and Spanish which is a joke - just memorizing 10 words every week. It was rather in British school where the teacher would leave them watching a cartoon and go elsewhere. We basically lost one year in Scotland due to an unprofessional teacher. My Hong Kong colleagues have the same experience: they say their children in two months learned here more than in Hong Kong in one year, where they were paying $$K for school. What school do your children go to, Pasty?

Healthcare. Have not had serious problems so far. My work insurance covers everything, including treatment abroad, if not available here. Doctors at SunCrest centre are nice, we have never waited long and the prices are affordable. Never heard any complaints from my colleagues about healthcare, but we are all covered and never go to public. One has age-related problems so she spent some time on choosing the right doctor but she found one.

Prices. Everyone says they are exorbitant here. Yes, cars, food and household items are more expensive than in the UK. However, what about housing and education? In Edinburgh I was renting a gloomy 2bdr flat with nothing special for 750 pounds, here for the same price I rent a bigger holiday townhouse five mins walk from the beach, with a pool in a tropical garden and secluded. Same about buying real estate. It is cheaper here. Same about private schools, in the UK they are far way more expensive. And do not education and housing take the bigger share in our expenses than food and household items?

There are lots of drawbacks in leaving in BBS, but I would point out things different from what Pasty lists.

My adaptation secret is simply to ask my colleagues what to do and where to go. Or neighbours on less significant issues.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:20 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

All 3 of mine went to St. Gabriel's. Science isn't a subject that is done on the 11plus, so while the school does it (as to most) the emphasis is not as great.. same with Spanish. Once they move into Secondary school, however.. they will get hit with 15 plus subjects all at one time.. including Integrated Science, French and Spanish (not french or spanish, but it does depend on the secondary school) math, art, PE, english lit and lang, math and on and on..

and not to boast, but a British student from ST. Gabriel's (in my sons class 2 years ago) scored a 100pct on an entrance exam to the secondary school she would be attending in the UK.. and it's not the only story that goes like that.. The unfortunate part, as said. . is the emphasis on Maths and English at primary level simply due to the 11plus..

I agree with your wife.. Ian.. If the market wasn't there, we wouldn't have a drug problem.. so. if people are selling drugs is because people want them.. a NO to the question is really all it takes..

I still don't fit in to most circles. and have a small group of friends (including my husbands family).. I'm white, American, middleaged (although I don't really consider myself that with 3 "young.. (19, 17, 13) children.. I got involved with their schools when I wasn't working. and I have had the pleasure of knowing, working with and respecting Bajans from all walks of life on this island.. I guess you get out of it, what you put into it..
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

I guess you get out of it, what you put into it...

And that is the truth...... I love it... Pasty doesn't... just am not sure she needs to jump into every thread though.....
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry there, no idea why I assume Pasty is a female...... but my feelings remain the same nonetheless!
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:27 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to actually write a sensible piece but how can I address constantly being stared at by Black barbadians when I enter chicken barn??? REally???????? I'm just speechless as an administrator im going to refrain from what I would really like to say and just say that no drug dealers hung about on my corner...have never been offered cocaine..never noticed any gangs let alone gang affiliation...its a small island and therefore the mentally challenged live in the community and are visible....lack of decent National health is as a result of no one paying their NI!!! I had amazing dental treatment with implants....paid for because same as in UK actually cheaper and more professional

As for everyone there is on the take..get real this is just a ridiculous statement almost as mad as your chicken barn statement...

Originally Posted by Pasty
Finance was just one (major) issue with having to pay for private School for 3 children who were not getting the best education they could get in the U.K. for free.
The other issues were constantly being stared at in an unfriendly way (predominantly by black barbadians) whenever i entered a 'Chicken Barn', constantly being begged on every time I went into Bridgetown, even in Cave Shepherd, rude disinterest shown to me and my wife by shopkeepers, being offered cocaine by beach drug dealers, even at 10 a.m. while i was with my children, drug dealers on almost every corner and their obvious gang affiliations shown by either blue or red scarves. People walking around obviously stoned out of their brains or mentally ill. The lack of decent service from the National Health there. Extractions being the only option for dental treatment on ht eNational health (hence the abundance of people with teeth missing). The appalling 'service' offered in the Poly-clinics conpared to my U.K. G.P.
Constantly feeling that everyone there is 'on the take'. these are just a few of the issues.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:33 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Your right Ian ...I think enough is enough ....I get that people have their opinion but the picture painted is not one I or any one else i know that lives and visits barbados would paint...have typed a lot more but deleted it cos im on duty lololol wish I wasnt tho
Originally Posted by satellite_ian
I guess you get out of it, what you put into it...

And that is the truth...... I love it... Pasty doesn't... just am not sure she needs to jump into every thread though.....
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:12 am
Just Joined

JoanneG16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
Firstly, thank you to those who replied to my questions earlier this year.
We are still planning on relocating to Barbados and we're looking forward to it!
Expensive cars, rubbish in the streets, bureaucracy, attitudes ... the negativity list goes on ... is not limited to Barbados. We live in South Africa and have lived in Angola and visited other African countries in the last 6 years and I love Africa.
I'm British but when you leave Britain you cannot compare ... you have made the conscious decision to move abroad and have to accept the culture and cost of living of your chosen host nation.
Research, being prepared and reducing any possible culture shock as much as possibe is paramount.
Typically, we are in a waiting game re contracts but looking forward to our Barbadian adventure!