British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Ex-pat social scene? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/ex-pat-social-scene-923057/)

Alitheex Mar 9th 2019 8:10 am

Ex-pat social scene?

I’m moving soon. Have had a holiday property in Barbados but now time for a proper move. I’m selling a holiday property because it doesn’t fit living full-time-ish. I probably will rent for the first year but...? Just any help in making social links when I move? I already know some residents but as a single woman and in 50s I don’t want to isolate! I’ve had a professional life and now want the ‘reward’. Any help on starting ‘getting into’ the social scene would be really very much appreciated. Do not feel 50-ish!
I’m not Advertising myself! It’s just that I’ve been used to lots of female contacts and a creative ‘bent’ re. Crafts, decor etc. All amateur-ish. I’m coming to look at properties next week (along with my 21-yr old daughter #2) . I’m no social butterfly but enjoy company and also just ‘chat’! If there’s anyone out there who would like (be prepared!) to sacrifice half an hour for a chat and a coffee, I’d really appreciate it. To get the insight. And hopefully make a new friend? There are so many times I’ve sat and chatted with others who already live in Barbados. I know there are some really kind and interesting people out there! (This is a mutual thing. You can reject that option and just give advice?!) I’m going to be based at our current property near Mullins beach but am prepared to travel! I have a hectic viewing agenda for Tues-Thurs (March 12,13,14) but obviously have evenings free. Returning to Blighty on Sunday.

Really. ANY input from people who’ve done the move would be really welcomed.
Thanks in advance and hope to hear from someone?

Sunniebgi Mar 10th 2019 11:19 am

Re: Ex-pat social scene?

Hi. Well the first thing would be.. assuming, being on the British Ex-Pats board.. you are from the UK. there is a British Women's Club on the island, and no, they aren't all old women. The club is more social, as they are not a registered charity, but they fundraisers and they have socials. that may be a start.

there is a good arts community on the island.. and there are a few of the Paint and wine drinking parties that happen around the island. There are also art classes at various locations and with really talented artists, who love to teach.

Now.. the devils advocate appears. as you are new to the board. One has to assume, if you are planning to move here,(for what sounds permanently) that you have the proper documentation to do so. . even having a rental / holiday property or your own home, doesn't give you complete living access to the island. There are a number of individuals on this board who can guide you. I'm a US Citizen, married to a Barbados and have Barbados Citizenship. which is how I'm here. others have done the same and possibly divorced but are still here.. others have homes they have purchased and have traveled back and forth to the UK and finally been able, after many many years to stay permanently (which doesn't mean you can work here. .just live here);

Serendipidy Mar 13th 2019 1:21 pm

I found integration was good via thinks like quiz nights and being sociable at places like Crystal Waters - south sides - there are quite a few women that come to the island as regulars

uk_grenada Mar 13th 2019 4:37 pm

I say this as someone who isnt much more than an occasional tourist to Barbados, but here in Grenada, i have friends who visit and live there regularly for work. They tell me Barbados is a very stratified society where colour, even degrees of, and background, are highly relevant in who mixes with who, though these are really almost bajan nationals. I guess with expats in isolation this isnt a thing so much.

Here while there are expats, there is almost total integration. Certainly money and perceived class impacts ones friends but accent nationality and colour not so much.

I hear in other islands, its sometimes about people born on the island opposing all incomers regardless.

Happyowner Mar 16th 2019 9:35 pm

Before you even start planning your social life here, as Sunnie asks, do you have permission , ie a Visa , to stay in Barbados for more than 6 months a year ? If not, I suggest you do not sell your property until you have applied for your Visa, because you will have no hope of getting one unless you own a property worth $150.000.00 US or more.

If 6 months a year is sufficient, then fine, but if not, you have important things to do if you have not already sorted it all out.

yvonne777 Nov 4th 2019 5:54 pm

would love to meet for coffee an chat ,although i,m in my sixty,s , I have , lived here a good few years from England and yes i,m female

TriciaSwann Aug 14th 2020 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Alitheex (Post 12650503)
I’m moving soon. Have had a holiday property in Barbados but now time for a proper move. I’m selling a holiday property because it doesn’t fit living full-time-ish. I probably will rent for the first year but...? Just any help in making social links when I move? I already know some residents but as a single woman and in 50s I don’t want to isolate! I’ve had a professional life and now want the ‘reward’. Any help on starting ‘getting into’ the social scene would be really very much appreciated. Do not feel 50-ish!
I’m not Advertising myself! It’s just that I’ve been used to lots of female contacts and a creative ‘bent’ re. Crafts, decor etc. All amateur-ish. I’m coming to look at properties next week (along with my 21-yr old daughter #2) . I’m no social butterfly but enjoy company and also just ‘chat’! If there’s anyone out there who would like (be prepared!) to sacrifice half an hour for a chat and a coffee, I’d really appreciate it. To get the insight. And hopefully make a new friend? There are so many times I’ve sat and chatted with others who already live in Barbados. I know there are some really kind and interesting people out there! (This is a mutual thing. You can reject that option and just give advice?!) I’m going to be based at our current property near Mullins beach but am prepared to travel! I have a hectic viewing agenda for Tues-Thurs (March 12,13,14) but obviously have evenings free. Returning to Blighty on Sunday.

Really. ANY input from people who’ve done the move would be really welcomed.
Thanks in advance and hope to hear from someone?

I’m coming to live ( from UK) not far from Mullins beach in October and I’d love to meet you- Hoping to get involved with lots of activities. Best wishes! Tricia

TriciaSwann Aug 14th 2020 2:00 am

Originally Posted by yvonne777 (Post 12758856)
would love to meet for coffee an chat ,although i,m in my sixty,s , I have , lived here a good few years from England and yes i,m female

I’m coming over from the UK to live here for a year ( after lots of holiday visits) and know nobody! I’d love a coffee and a chat. I arrive in October. Best wishes Tricia

Sunniebgi Aug 14th 2020 2:56 am

Hi Tricia..

Welcome to the group.

if interested there is a British Women's Club on the island. (as well as an American Women's Club , of which I'm apart).. The British club is a good group of all sorts of women on the island. they meet once a month and do some fundraising activities as well as have social gatherings. if interested let me know, and I can put you in contact with at least one of the members. Always a good way to get started..

satellite_ian Aug 14th 2020 11:56 pm

Pah Sunnie.... Women's groups...lol... You just know I'm going to post a link to the Barbados Hash House Harriers... lol.....Barbados Hash House Harriers - The Drinking Club with a Running Problem!

It's a club for anyone who wants to get a bit of exercise and stay for the social side of things.... we have all sorts from endurance runner to old people walking with sticks... come along and see what we are like... meet some new people.. have some fun..

Sunniebgi Aug 15th 2020 12:35 am

Ok Ian. you win.. but we don't want to scare her off just yet. She can try both if she wishes!!!.. (I'll just make sure she doesn't wear the wrong colour to the hash.....)

satellite_ian Aug 15th 2020 12:39 am

:thumbs_up: