Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Employment as a Lawyer in Barbados

Employment as a Lawyer in Barbados

Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Icey is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Employment as a Lawyer in Barbados

Hello all,
Firstly i would like to say that i stumble across this website yesterday for the first time ever, I have read pages1-20 in the Barbados section of this forum. You guys seem like a lovely AND fun bunch... and hopefully being the bored and lonely girlfriend on my travels over whilst my honey is at work i may have the oppertunity to meet a couple of the ladies.

I have been going over to Barbados several times a year since the age of 13 ( I am 22 now). I have a partner and family who live over there and have long ago decided that God willing as soon as I have finished my studies to make my way over there.

My question is at the moment I am studying my law degree (llb) I will ideally like to be a barrister, but the confusion is that Barbados has adopted the common law system but appears to opperate under americanised titles... I know what the process is over here (london) to become a barrister... but i haven't a clue if attorney-at-law suits the skill set of a barrister or lawyer.

I was wondering if anyone on this site are lawyers in barbados
what are the challanges getting into it?
in the uk were they solicitors or barristers?
If this is a good sector for Barbados?

Look forward to hearing from someone of only to say hello
Hugs!
Icey x
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:21 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment as a Lawyer in Barbados

Hi Icey

I cant help you with your info other than to ask my own lawyer (she is young, trustworthy and dedicated) if she might be able to offer you the information. She is a god filled person and i dont think she would mind so let me know if you would me to approach her and ask on your behalf (i woudl just drop her an email with your questions)

Other than that just wanted to say welcome to the site

Dipidy
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

I would be SO grateful if you could. :-)
Icey x
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:19 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icey
Hello all,
Firstly i would like to say that i stumble across this website yesterday for the first time ever, I have read pages1-20 in the Barbados section of this forum. You guys seem like a lovely AND fun bunch... and hopefully being the bored and lonely girlfriend on my travels over whilst my honey is at work i may have the oppertunity to meet a couple of the ladies.

I have been going over to Barbados several times a year since the age of 13 ( I am 22 now). I have a partner and family who live over there and have long ago decided that God willing as soon as I have finished my studies to make my way over there.

My question is at the moment I am studying my law degree (llb) I will ideally like to be a barrister, but the confusion is that Barbados has adopted the common law system but appears to opperate under americanised titles... I know what the process is over here (london) to become a barrister... but i haven't a clue if attorney-at-law suits the skill set of a barrister or lawyer.

Hugs!
Icey x
Hi Icey

Here is my lawyer's reply to your email

". In Barbados we do not have that distinction of barrister and solicitor as in Uk. The attorney-at-law concept in Barbados means that the attorney prepares all documents in respect of court that is for filing as a barrsiter does and also goes to court as the solictor does so the job is two in one.

In Barbados we do not have the barrister concept. Being an attorney in Barbados firstly you have to have your law degree and then attend any law school located in Trinidad, Jamaica or Bahamas. After that you can decide whether you want to practise in the private sector or the public sector should she have any other questions please let me know.

I hope this helps and will tell her thank you on you behalf

Dips
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi Icey

Here is my lawyer's reply to your email

". In Barbados we do not have that distinction of barrister and solicitor as in Uk. The attorney-at-law concept in Barbados means that the attorney prepares all documents in respect of court that is for filing as a barrsiter does and also goes to court as the solictor does so the job is two in one.

In Barbados we do not have the barrister concept. Being an attorney in Barbados firstly you have to have your law degree and then attend any law school located in Trinidad, Jamaica or Bahamas. After that you can decide whether you want to practise in the private sector or the public sector should she have any other questions please let me know.

I hope this helps and will tell her thank you on you behalf

Dips
Thanks that was great decisions decisions... i think what i will do is qualify at the bar over here (UK) had a look on the law school website (jamaica, trinidad or bahamas) and i can do a six month course conversion course so i can practise over there.... only thing TYPICALLY they have not listed the fees!
Does your lawyer have a website, i dont wanna message her i just want to have a look.
At least if i am qualified in the uk and barbados i have more flexability...

Can you please ask your wonderfully helpful lawyer friend if:
Do you get called to the bar in a ceromony like in britain?
By the term private and public does she mean coporate and independant?
Do the lawyers operate from chambers or offices do they have to pay a tenancy?

Please do tell her thank you, and cheers dips!!!!
Icey x
and lastly, are your required to do a pupillage or training contract?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:34 pm

She is not actually a friend but my lawyer who handles all my business and personal requirements. Finding a trustworthy lawyer in Barbados can be a challenge in itself as i have heard many night mare stories.

She does not have a website as she is part of a large legal firm in Bridgetown.

I have forwarded her your other questions and will give you the reply when she sends it

Dips
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

She is not actually a friend but my lawyer who handles all my business and personal requirements. Finding a trustworthy lawyer in Barbados can be a challenge in itself as i have heard many night mare stories.

She does not have a website as she is part of a large legal firm in Bridgetown.

I have forwarded her your other questions and will give you the reply when she sends it

Dips
Thanks dips.... do you know what the companies website is... I hear Bajan lawyers don't have a good rep... That source came from my partner so perhaps slightly biased
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:21 pm

Thanks that was great decisions decisions... i think what i will do is qualify at the bar over here (UK) had a look on the law school website (jamaica, trinidad or bahamas) and i can do a six month course conversion course so i can practise over there.... only thing TYPICALLY they have not listed the fees!
Does your lawyer have a website, i dont wanna message her i just want to have a look.
At least if i am qualified in the uk and barbados i have more flexability...

Can you please ask your wonderfully helpful lawyer friend if:
Do you get called to the bar in a ceromony like in britain?
By the term private and public does she mean coporate and independant?
Do the lawyers operate from chambers or offices do they have to pay a tenancy?

Please do tell her thank you, and cheers dips!!!!
Icey x
and lastly, are your required to do a pupillage or training contract?
Here is my lawyers reply to your recent questions

Please advise the young lady as follows:

1.I am not sure of the ceremony in Britain but in Barbados there is a special sitting and ceremony where you are called “to the Bar” by a senior attorney.

2. Private means that you practice in a chambers (individual attorneys practicing self-employed) or a firm (where there is an employer and employee set up).

3. Most attorneys when they have the private chambers do pay rent for their offices.

I have thanked her on your behalf

Dips
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Here is my lawyers reply to your recent questions

Please advise the young lady as follows:

1.I am not sure of the ceremony in Britain but in Barbados there is a special sitting and ceremony where you are called “to the Bar” by a senior attorney.

2. Private means that you practice in a chambers (individual attorneys practicing self-employed) or a firm (where there is an employer and employee set up).

3. Most attorneys when they have the private chambers do pay rent for their offices.

I have thanked her on your behalf

Dips
your a star dips thanks
Icey x
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Hugs!
Icey x
Unfortunately I can't help you as much as I would like to. Barbados does get a bit of legal advice from several places. The U.N., The OAS, The U.S., Canada, etc. etc. any or all of those places from time to time may give Barbados a sample piece of legislation to base theirs off of. Like if there is a new international treaty which Barbados should be in compliance with. A few sites come to mind which might help you a bit more. Lawyers in Barbados seem to hover among doing several different things some become politicians... Some go on to become Barbadian diplomats to various bodies etc. Some lawyers I will admit seem to do shady things...

http://www.lawcourts.gov.bb/
(Painfully out of date I know, but it gives somewhat of an overview.)

http://www.BarbadosBarAssociation.com/
Name says it all.

http://www.caribbeancourtofjustice.org/
Barbados ended appeals to the British Privy Council a few years ago in favor of the Caribbean Court of Justice in Trinidad and Tobago. So far only Barbados and Guyana recognise it as their court of last appeal.

http://www.caricomlaw.org/
The Caribbean Community Secretariat in Guyana tries to keep a better upto date listing of the current laws as the stand around the region.
That is maintained at the above site.

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; Apr 24th 2009 at 6:06 am.