Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Electrical Appliances Barbados

Electrical Appliances Barbados

Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Richie G is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Electrical Appliances Barbados

Hi all, my wife and I are at present building our home in Barbados. We live in the UK and our intention is to eventually live there in the next 4 years having first rented it out for a while. We are now starting to buy furniture, fixtures and fittings etc.. Does anybody know if electrical appliances, TV,s etc bought in UK will work in Barbados. I know it is 115v Bds and UK being 230v, is there a way around this, adaptors etc or will we have to buy new eqpt over there. Any advice would be helpful before my wife spends hundreds of pounds on stuff that may not work...
Thanx, Richie.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:46 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical Appliances Barbados

Hi,

well barbados actually has dual voltage in many areas and will take 110/220v. you just have to check with your contractor if you can get it installed.

TV in Barbados as here is NTSC M, UK is PAL 1 so you need to make sure you have either a mulitiple band TV or one that can be adjusted - and make sure you get it adjusted in the UK before you go. We have a PAL tv here we use in the bedroom as obviously wont accept the cable signal and we've bought a TV that is NTSC.

also make sure your DVD is region free as if you buy DVD's here they are USA spec and videos are also NTSC - not PAL as per UK video machines.

plug sockets are 2 pin or 3 pin (not the square 3 pin but a different thinner version) so you'll either need adaptors or change your plugs.

hope that helps.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

wofbart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Richie G View Post
Hi all, my wife and I are at present building our home in Barbados. We live in the UK and our intention is to eventually live there in the next 4 years having first rented it out for a while. We are now starting to buy furniture, fixtures and fittings etc.. Does anybody know if electrical appliances, TV,s etc bought in UK will work in Barbados. I know it is 115v Bds and UK being 230v, is there a way around this, adaptors etc or will we have to buy new eqpt over there. Any advice would be helpful before my wife spends hundreds of pounds on stuff that may not work...
Thanx, Richie.
Hi
when i first moved out i had a load of hifi and stuff i used an up and down transformer, its basicly a converter a lot of prople use them.
best advice is to buy from the US if you can.
dont worry about a Uk tv as already said UK uses Pal.
But if you want to take UK white goods the transformer cost about £75 and you can plug one to each appliance, thats the cheaper option.
but you can get your contractor to look into it
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Richie G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wofbart View Post
Hi
when i first moved out i had a load of hifi and stuff i used an up and down transformer, its basicly a converter a lot of prople use them.
best advice is to buy from the US if you can.
dont worry about a Uk tv as already said UK uses Pal.
But if you want to take UK white goods the transformer cost about £75 and you can plug one to each appliance, thats the cheaper option.
but you can get your contractor to look into it
Thanks everyone for the advice...
Old May 7th 2007, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandmom View Post
Hi,

well barbados actually has dual voltage in many areas and will take 110/220v. you just have to check with your contractor if you can get it installed.

TV in Barbados as here is NTSC M, UK is PAL 1 so you need to make sure you have either a mulitiple band TV or one that can be adjusted - and make sure you get it adjusted in the UK before you go. We have a PAL tv here we use in the bedroom as obviously wont accept the cable signal and we've bought a TV that is NTSC.

also make sure your DVD is region free as if you buy DVD's here they are USA spec and videos are also NTSC - not PAL as per UK video machines.

plug sockets are 2 pin or 3 pin (not the square 3 pin but a different thinner version) so you'll either need adaptors or change your plugs.

hope that helps.
Islandmom is correct. the Electrical plug type in Barbados are the same type as in USA/Canada...

This type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_frequencies

See (B) on the right-hand side.

No doubt thanks to Barbados Light & Power [ http://www.blpc.com.bb/ ] being partly owned by the Canadian International Power Company (Today a part of Leucadia National Corporation).

You didn't ask about telephone, but even though Barbados has Cable & Wireless the telephone connector is usually RJ11 as well.

Which is this type.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ11%2C_RJ14%2C_RJ25