Early retirement

Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

BuffyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Early retirement

Looking into taking early retirement,selling up in cold dreary uk and moving to Barbados.

Have seen a few threads re working & schooling so any advice for a 50 something and spouse thinking of 'lazing' in the sun
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of
Default Re: Early retirement

Originally Posted by BuffyP
Looking into taking early retirement,selling up in cold dreary uk and moving to Barbados.

Have seen a few threads re working & schooling so any advice for a 50 something and spouse thinking of 'lazing' in the sun
I know a British couple who retired to Barbados when they were 79 year of age!! And they're loving it

What sort of advice would you like?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

In very early stages so nothing too detailed at present but :

1. An idea of cost of living ( so I can check if pension will cover it)

2. Recommendations of areas fairly close to amenities/beach. ( We liked the East coast but it did feel a bit isolated )

3. How easy is to integrate into the local community. Bajuns appear friendly & helpful to Tourist but would it be any different when we were living in the local community?

Any other basic info appreciated.

Buffyp

Last edited by BuffyP; Jun 21st 2007 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BuffyP

In very early stages so nothing too detailed at present but :

1. An idea of cost of living ( so I can check if pension will cover it)

2. Recommendations of areas fairly close to amenities/beach. ( We liked the East coast but it did feel a bit isolated )

3. How easy is to integrate into the local community. Bajuns appear friendly & helpful to Tourist but would it be any different when we were living in the local community?

Any other basic info appreciated.

Buffyp

There are some other threads on here that could give you some information about cost of living.

I know what you mean with the eastcoast On the westcoast it's quite nice to live aswell, just a bit away from the main road though.
The only place I would avoid there is Holetown and Speightstown, but before , in between and after it's all nice to live!

To integrate is not hard at all!!! They love you even more if you live there!!
They can make you feel very welcome into their community and will always come to you for a chat! Probably invite you for a true bajan meal
My family and myself have lived in different area's on the westcoast among the locals ( for 3 years) and always felt very welcome!
In our last area there was one British woman living and she made the most trouble. But she was a bitter woman though

I understand you're in the beginning stage but have a read through all the threads here, then you will find out how we all love living in Barbados!!!

Take care
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Trutje,

Must confess after posting I have read a bit more of the other threads and am now into overdrive with the research especially the finances.

Glad to hear that integration should not be an issue ( we are not bitter people ) it was one of our main concerns.

Thanks again for the replies, you may hear from us again

Paul