Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Duty on shipped household items. Moving to BIM in Jan.....

Duty on shipped household items. Moving to BIM in Jan.....

Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

afish is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Duty on shipped household items. Moving to BIM in Jan.....

Hi there

I'm moving to the island in January to join my partner with our new baby who will be 2 months old then.

I'm in the process of purchasing a piece of land which I'll build a house on. To furnish my house I'll be shipping all of my furniture and household items from London to Bridgetown. I've been told that I shouldn't have to pay duty on used items, is this so?

Also, I'm thinking about shipping a kitchen and bathroom to the island for my new house - does anyone know what sort of duty I'd be charged on these items?

Any help with regard to duty would be smashing!

Also, I'll be looking to make some nice new friends when I eventually arrive. I'm a 28 year old female and will be working on the island so evening and weekend nights/days out would be good for me. Any tips?

Thanks all x
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:08 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duty on shipped household items. Moving to BIM in Jan.....

cant help re shippping info but good luck on ya move - and keep in touch if you need other advice

Seredipidy
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by afish
Hi there

I'm moving to the island in January to join my partner with our new baby who will be 2 months old then.

I'm in the process of purchasing a piece of land which I'll build a house on. To furnish my house I'll be shipping all of my furniture and household items from London to Bridgetown. I've been told that I shouldn't have to pay duty on used items, is this so?

Also, I'm thinking about shipping a kitchen and bathroom to the island for my new house - does anyone know what sort of duty I'd be charged on these items?

Also, I'll be looking to make some nice new friends when I eventually arrive. I'm a 28 year old female and will be working on the island so evening and weekend nights/days out would be good for me. Any tips?

Thanks all x

Hi congratulations on your pregnancy...

Have you bought your land yet? Where is it? Are you planning on moving into your house in Jan when you come..? Not sure that is giving enough time to have it built (or is your husband already here to push things along?)

As for shipping things, it really does depend on the day and who you see. You may be better off with a customsbroker - I am assuming your husband is Bajan - does he know anyone in this area who can help?

What work will you be doing when you arrive? Who will look after your baby?

So many questions, sorry!

I would think that shipping a kitchen and bathroom would be expensive to ship plus the customs on it too, although it may well work out as much as you would pay here as these things are not cheap on the island.

There are plenty of friends to be made, from this board, from your work I imagine, from meeting people with your baby...

Good luck with it all...

S
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:18 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I've replied within your quote.. have a look..

Originally Posted by afish
Hi there

I'm in the process of purchasing a piece of land which I'll build a house on.

If you haven't purchased the land, and don't have a house already built and plan to move in during January, you may want to think again. Land doesn't get purchased that quickly and houses take forever around here.

To furnish my house I'll be shipping all of my furniture and household items from London to Bridgetown. I've been told that I shouldn't have to pay duty on used items, is this so?

I've just been told as long as it's coming in for personal use and it's used, you wouldn't pay duty.. but .. you had better have some receipts from several years ago, or a good list of the used items. and most sure none look new

The first thing to consider is the electric current used.. it's US 110 rather than UK 220.. so purchasing there might not be a good idea. if you are talking about fixtures like cabinets etc, you should be ok, but not appliances.

Thanks all x

I'm getting quotes on some items that I have received from my mother and fathers estate.. old items (some antiques some not), but I've been told as long as they are personal items not for resale and have been used here, I'm ok. I'm having the executors of the will write a letter to advise what they are, and I also have lists as well as pictures.. so hopefully this will help.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies ladies. Plan is to move out in January to manage the build, living in rented accommodation until its finished.

Won't be working for a while but it will be office work.

Baby will either be cared for by its Aunt or by an English lady I met who is a registered British child minder.

Daddy will be here in England until December when he'll go back and manage the first part of the build.

Haven't bought the land yet, still in negotiations but I understand from my lawyer that it is likely to take 3-4 months to complete, planning permission would be sought during the same period.

Its all very exciting!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like you have it all sorted - which part of the Island will you be living in?

A new year for you and your new family to look forward to!

Good luck with it all

S
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

West Coast, can't wait!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Excellent - well get in touch if you want to.

I have a baby who will be a lot older by then obviously but that's ok...
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Richie G is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, last year we started building our house having bought the land a year before. It is almost complete, should be finished in a month or so, completely..We stayed in the house in March this year, very exciting. Before going over we shipped a container full of all our used goods, also some new stuff, kitchen eqpt, kettle, toaster etc. When having the house built we asked for dual voltage, quite common now with UK investors. WE have two fuse boxes 220v and 110v, so all the electrical equipment we took over works in the house. Washing machine, lamps, kettles etc, all work great. re the customs, you will need a broker, would be a nightmare without one. I can recommend one, he sorted out all our paper work, meeting the customs guy etc. They then arrange to meet you with your container at your house to inspect the contents, an environmental officer also had to inspect all wooden furniture for insects etc. Having paid for container from UK to Bados, £2200, we then had to pay several hundred on port fees and some duty etc for new items.

Last edited by Richie G; Jul 22nd 2008 at 12:04 am. Reason: more info
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Richie G
Hi, last year we started building our house having bought the land a year before. It is almost complete, should be finished in a month or so, completely..We stayed in the house in March this year, very exciting. Before going over we shipped a container full of all our used goods, also some new stuff, kitchen eqpt, kettle, toaster etc. When having the house built we asked for dual voltage, quite common now with UK investors. WE have two fuse boxes 220v and 110v, so all the electrical equipment we took over works in the house. Washing machine, lamps, kettles etc, all work great. re the customs, you will need a broker, would be a nightmare without one. I can recommend one, he sorted out all our paper work, meeting the customs guy etc. They then arrange to meet you with your container at your house to inspect the contents, an environmental officer also had to inspect all wooden furniture for insects etc. Having paid for container from UK to Bados, £2200, we then had to pay several hundred on port fees and some duty etc for new items.
Hi Richie G, I've sent you a PM on this. Thanks mucho x
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Having paid for container from UK to Bados, £2200, we then had to pay several hundred on port fees and some duty etc for new items.
Hi, can i ask who you used to ship your container, we are moving to St lucia and was wondering if i can get a cheaper quote than over 4k, thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:05 am
Just Joined

bimbound is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info. I'm not shipping nearly that much, just a barrel or two. But I was curious to know if the broker you mentioned was attached directly to the shipping company or do I need to work out something on the receiving end myself such as finding a broker as well. I'm shipping from the states.
thanks
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:52 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

thought I'd add some info.

I've been searching for the best rates to ship some pre-owned (from estate) items to Barbados. I have about 100cubic feet of items to ship. Possibly only 1 piece of furniture, the rest are reproduction paintings, china, glassware, and knickknacks. I've been quoted everything from just over 1000.00USD to 4800.00usd.

But the funniest one was yesterday. I was quoted 27.50usd a cubic foot door to door. that includes all sorts of things from the wrap and pack on the NC end to the deliver in Barbados..(including customs clearance paperwork.. everything but the duties, if any - which I've been told there wouldn't be as the items are personal and owned for more than 1yr). The guy also quoted me .. you had better sit down.. 17.00usd a cubic foot from NC to the port.. no clearance and no deliver to my home. So.. if I have 100cf.. I'm going to pay 1000.00usd to get my items from the Bridgetown Port to the middle of St. George... NOT!!!!!.. I laughed.. said. you have to be joking.

So I'm at present contacting a customs broker I know in Barbados (I hadn't given the shipper here any information about companies in Barbados etc) to see what they would charge me.

What a scam. I've cleared things myself in the port before, hired a truck to move it to my home, and never paid even a quarter of that kind of rate before.

BE CAREFUL!!!.. That's all I can say..

Good Luck.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Hi all,

I've just brought in some new ikea flat pack furniture.....10 boxes in all, 3 bedside tables, 3 chest of drawers, a large table and 6 chairs. The total cost in shipping door to door was around £150. The import duty was $1,600 (Barbados dollars), but this still worked out much cheaper than buying furniture (very expensive and not very nice or very very very expensive and nice) here.

I shipped via West Indies Freight in the UK who were really helpful - and collected via their agent just off Spring Garden Highway. Relatively hassle free (for Barbados) - if anyone wants any further info PM me.