Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship for newborn

Dual citizenship for newborn

Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Sweetdarkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizenship for newborn

Hello all I am new to this site :-) I have a question- I am a US citizen by birth and my fiancé is a bajan and currently live in BBS. (currently in the process of filing a K1 visa for him)I am currently pregnant and wanted to know - while vacationing with my man if I hav the baby in BBS will the child have dual citizenship?? My fiancé is a citizen there by birth. Please help/enlighten in this issue
Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2011, 2:38 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship for newborn

Firstly.. it's not BBS.. it's BGI (for the airport) or BBD/BDS for the currancy.. or Bdos (sorry.. but BBS is a station on the radio)

0k.. so let's get technical. Normally I would say if the child is born here, then yes they would have Barbados Citizenship, but you would have to apply for US Citizenship for your child and they would never hold an actual US birth Certificate (but rather something called a Certificate of Live Birth Abroad) and only a Passport would show that the child is a US Citizen..

The other issue is .. that if you are planning on vacationing here, it means you have to fly here with at least 2 months left before the birth (someone correct this if I'm wrong) and Barbados Immigration might not give you that long to stay (especially if you are pregnant)..
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Sweetdarkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
Firstly.. it's not BBS.. it's BGI (for the airport) or BBD/BDS for the currancy.. or Bdos (sorry.. but BBS is a station on the radio)

0k.. so let's get technical. Normally I would say if the child is born here, then yes they would have Barbados Citizenship, but you would have to apply for US Citizenship for your child and they would never hold an actual US birth Certificate (but rather something called a Certificate of Live Birth Abroad) and only a Passport would show that the child is a US Citizen..

The other issue is .. that if you are planning on vacationing here, it means you have to fly here with at least 2 months left before the birth (someone correct this if I'm wrong) and Barbados Immigration might not give you that long to stay (especially if you are pregnant)..
Thanks for correcting me!! However I'm sure u & every1 that read it knew what I was referring to!! Sorry if I offended u anyhow I do appreciate the advise/input
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:07 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Not offended, just making sure we are talking about the same place.. you just never know.