British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Dual citizenship for newborn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/dual-citizenship-newborn-742295/)

Sweetdarkie Dec 19th 2011 12:38 am

Dual citizenship for newborn

Hello all I am new to this site :-) I have a question- I am a US citizen by birth and my fiancé is a bajan and currently live in BBS. (currently in the process of filing a K1 visa for him)I am currently pregnant and wanted to know - while vacationing with my man if I hav the baby in BBS will the child have dual citizenship?? My fiancé is a citizen there by birth. Please help/enlighten in this issue

Sunniebgi Dec 19th 2011 2:38 am

Re: Dual citizenship for newborn

Firstly.. it's not BBS.. it's BGI (for the airport) or BBD/BDS for the currancy.. or Bdos (sorry.. but BBS is a station on the radio)

0k.. so let's get technical. Normally I would say if the child is born here, then yes they would have Barbados Citizenship, but you would have to apply for US Citizenship for your child and they would never hold an actual US birth Certificate (but rather something called a Certificate of Live Birth Abroad) and only a Passport would show that the child is a US Citizen..

The other issue is .. that if you are planning on vacationing here, it means you have to fly here with at least 2 months left before the birth (someone correct this if I'm wrong) and Barbados Immigration might not give you that long to stay (especially if you are pregnant)..

Sweetdarkie Dec 20th 2011 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 9795856)
Firstly.. it's not BBS.. it's BGI (for the airport) or BBD/BDS for the currancy.. or Bdos (sorry.. but BBS is a station on the radio)

0k.. so let's get technical. Normally I would say if the child is born here, then yes they would have Barbados Citizenship, but you would have to apply for US Citizenship for your child and they would never hold an actual US birth Certificate (but rather something called a Certificate of Live Birth Abroad) and only a Passport would show that the child is a US Citizen..

The other issue is .. that if you are planning on vacationing here, it means you have to fly here with at least 2 months left before the birth (someone correct this if I'm wrong) and Barbados Immigration might not give you that long to stay (especially if you are pregnant)..

Thanks for correcting me!! However I'm sure u & every1 that read it knew what I was referring to!! Sorry if I offended u anyhow I do appreciate the advise/input

Sunniebgi Dec 21st 2011 3:07 am

Not offended, just making sure we are talking about the same place.. you just never know.