Dual Citizenship

Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:33 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dual Citizenship

Hi

Can anyone tell me if you are granted Immigrant status (temporary residence until applying for permanent residence) in Barbados does that mean you have to give up your British Citzenship for this period or do you have dual citizenship

Thanks

Serendipidy
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship

I'm not claiming to know anything about Barbados' immigration law, but I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to get rid of your British citizenship, even if you take the citizenship of another country.
Permanent Residence is not the same as citizenship, so you would not have dual citizenship from what you describe.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:33 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh ok I understand - good news lol

Thanks for your help Meau

Serendipidy
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:58 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of people in Barbados that hold at least 2 passports (one Barbadian one somewhere else) is staggering.. so I seriously doubt Barbados cares..
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:29 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
its not difficult to give up your British citizenship - unwise I would say but not difficult ... see: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...upcitizenship/

and heres a website listing all countries and their individual stances on dual citizenship and how to do it - if they allow it or not. It was compiled in 2001 but for places like Barbados the info has not changed.

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/worldsummary.html
Thanks IslandMom. very interesting reading.. I've always been told that the US does not, except in rare cases (Israel is one of them), allow for dual citizenship. And funny enough a 2nd cousin of mine (my mothers first cousin) has lived in Switzerland for many many years. a number of years ago he was forced (so he told us) to decide between the US and Switzerland, and he gave up his US Citizenship. so basically, according to this, he didn't need to.

Notice the part under Barbados were it says
REGISTRATION: Foreign woman, who has married a citizen of Barbados, may apply for citizenship through registration. (sorry guys)...

I also like the part under the US that talks about those who hold dual citizenship who are underage and that they are not required to decide one way or the other when to "come of age". I'll have to book mark this and print and keep in a safe place.. my 3 children will be happy..
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I've always been told that the US does not, except in rare cases (Israel is one of them), allow for dual citizenship.
The United States does allow dual citizenship. http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:27 am

I think what has been said in the past (I've silently dealt with this issue for almost 16years) is that the US doesn't recognise or want do know that a US Citizen has a 2nd country of citizenship, basically almost like a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of policy. and since I'm not a lawyer, I just haven't bothered to try to get to the bottom of the issue. So it's good that there is something out there and written.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:52 pm

Thanks the link Sunnie will read through it

Serendipdy
Old Jun 28th 2008, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

bimshiredawta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I think what has been said in the past (I've silently dealt with this issue for almost 16years) is that the US doesn't recognise or want do know that a US Citizen has a 2nd country of citizenship, basically almost like a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of policy. and since I'm not a lawyer, I just haven't bothered to try to get to the bottom of the issue. So it's good that there is something out there and written.

You are correct. In the plainest sense, dual citizenship implies that you are not only a citizens of two countries, but also that you can travel on documents from either country.

Viewing the second condition, one can clearly see why dual citizenship does not really exist in the US. if you hold a passport from a country that requires a visa or green card status in order to enter the US, you cannot travel on a basic non-US passport. You WILL be denied entry unless you produce your US passport or correct non-citizen travel documents. You will also be reminded not to do that again.

However, in Barbados, one can travel on a Bajan or US passport.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimshiredawta
You are correct. In the plainest sense, dual citizenship implies that you are not only a citizens of two countries, but also that you can travel on documents from either country.
The fact you have to enter and leave a country on that country's passport does not stop you being a dual citizen.

International law allows countries to ignore any other citizenship their citizens may hold.

Viewing the second condition, one can clearly see why dual citizenship does not really exist in the US. if you hold a passport from a country that requires a visa or green card status in order to enter the US, you cannot travel on a basic non-US passport. You WILL be denied entry unless you produce your US passport or correct non-citizen travel documents. You will also be reminded not to do that again.

All dual US/other citizens must enter and leave the United States on an American passport.

However, in Barbados, one can travel on a Bajan or US passport.
But maybe problems if trying to enter as a resident on a US passport?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:34 am

I travel into Barbados on my US Passport, but have barbados citizenship papers that I travel with as well.

my 3 children travel in and out on a US Passport, but it shows they were born in Barbados so there is no problem arriving into Barbados.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Sunnie, you go in the Citizen/Caricom/Diplomat line then?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I mean when arriving at the airport...
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:46 am

Zanne, it all depends on the shortest line.. you don't have to go into the citizen line, even if you are one. Althought having said that they have the "snake" or did last summer, assuming they still do, so it all depends on how many people are in either line.

but yes, we go through the citizen/caricom line, if we want to.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:58 am
Just Joined

bimshiredawta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The fact you have to enter and leave a country on that country's passport does not stop you being a dual citizen.

International law allows countries to ignore any other citizenship their citizens may hold.
I understand that fully. However, the US does NOT ignore that, and that was the primary gist of my post. Regardless of how many passports one might hold, the US does not want an explanation-- they fully expect you to enter the US with your US passport or you will be treated as a non-citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.