British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Driving license conundrum... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/driving-license-conundrum-859465/)

trish4397 Jun 3rd 2015 5:21 pm

Driving license conundrum...

Hi, I wonder if anyone can tell me the answer to my conundrum. I have been living in Barbados on and off for nearly a year and am getting married to a Barbados citizen (no date yet). I have been back to the UK twice, and on both occasions I still had my home there. However, I currently have no address in the UK as I plan to stay here.
My problem is with the official documents. I believe that as far as my passport is concerned, I will be able to change it when it is due for renewal, as passports don't carry addresses.
But my UK driving license needs an address - I haven't notified the DVLA of my move yet, and I'm a little concerned that I will end up with no driving license. I know I can get a permit in Barbados, but when I am in the UK and want to hire a car, they want my UK driver's license, or a driving license form the country I reside in. I don't think I can get a license here for some time yet, and I suppose I shouldn't really have my UK license still.

As you can probably tell, I'm somewhat confused by it all and would welcome any suggestions or advice.

Thanks in anticipation :banghead:

Sunniebgi Jun 3rd 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Driving license conundrum...

while my situation resides across the pond, I use my best friends address in North Carolina as my permanent US address. My drivers license has been attached to my family home in North Carolina for almost 8 years.. and comes up for renewal in October. This home has now been sold (as my parents passed away).. and I'm hoping I can use my friends address for my NC license. I haven't checked it out, but have to very soon. Don't know if you have a relative that has a permanent address you can use in the UK but that might be your best option.

trish4397 Jun 3rd 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks Sunniebgi ... I have got relatives in the UK - is it OK to use their address though? Or is that what everyone does ...

satellite_ian Jun 3rd 2015 10:44 pm

I was in a similar position.. and could end up in it again later this month....

However, as far as the UK is concerned you are not supposed to hold a UK license and one from another country....

Until you get a Bajan license I would just use any residential address in the UK...

Sunniebgi Jun 4th 2015 2:16 am

part of the reason I did it to begin with was... well.. those lovely old little Red Barbados Drivers License Books.. try to present that to a rental car agency in the US.. hahahaha.. i know.. don't laugh.

it's a bit different now, with the current licenses we have here.. but.. I still will try to get my NC license on my next trip.

Why would the UK car if you hold 2 drivers licenses??

satellite_ian Jun 4th 2015 11:51 am

Sunnie, I have no idea why they would care (especially since you can hold a UK passport and another one!), it is just something I came across while looking at this same situation....

trish4397 Jun 4th 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks satellite_ian ... I think I'll try and change my address to a relative's until I can get a license here .... and I have no idea why the UK care but they're funny like that!!!

Jen318206 Jul 11th 2015 10:51 pm

I know this post is from a while ago, but my understanding as to why you can't hold two is that the UK and Barbados have some sort of agreement, and that's why there is no need to take another test when applying. You submit one licence for the other, so that if you ended up with a drink driving conviction in the UK which resulted in the loss of your licence, you couldn't then continue to drive using the Barbados one and vice versa.

trish4397 Jul 12th 2015 2:41 pm

Thanks Jen ... that makes sense. I haven't done anything about it yet but I haven't been driving, but I'll keep what you said in mind - thanks again