Driving Licence

Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence

Hi, could someone let me know how to get a permanent driving licence here? We have our UK licences, and our 1 year temp licence is about to expire.

Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:39 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence

I was told that you need to have a barbados ID to get a license (someone can jump in here).. But if you have a residency or work permit stamp in your passport, you may want to just check with the drivers license place re this. there is one at Oistens (above Super Centre) and in Holetown, beside the police station. (the main one is on Pine East/West Road and always busy.. try one of the other two locations) I would go, rather than call. if you redo the temp license (which is also now done at one of those locations) it will cost 100.00bbd for a year.. but it will also cost 100.00bbd for a year on a regular license as well.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, we have IDs - so we don't have to go to the Pine to do it? Holetown would work for us if it can be done there.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:19 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grassisgreener
Thanks for that, we have IDs - so we don't have to go to the Pine to do it? Holetown would work for us if it can be done there.

Holetown or Oistins will do.. by the way.. there are new licenses being issued (similar to US version, hard laminated things..).. the wait maybe long for that. I sat for about 2 hours waiting to do mine, which took all of about 5 min in total for the picture and the printing. As I have one of the booklets, I could have gone back, but decided to wait for the new one. I did mine at Oistins at the end of October. Also, you can get a 3 year license which is cheaper than doing it every year.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Perfect, thanks for that!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys,

just read your thread abut BB IDs - does it mean that if you're not a BB citizen you cannot apply for a driving licence here? I mean - do a course, take lessons, pass the exam and get the licence? (I'm probably the only person on the island who doesn't drive lol )
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sure you can take your test here, but I don't know the process. Someone else will probably be able to help you with that question, sorry.

Just an update on the "permanent" licence thing, for a first licence if you hold an international licence Holetown won't do it. I had to go to The Pine Licensing Authority - not sure if the other licensing authorities will do it.

It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be (in and out in an hour), but you have to take along a passport size photo with you, as well as your ID and international licence. All a bit bizarre considering they take your photo at the end for the licence. It was $50, and for the first licence you can only get a one year licence.

Hope this helps someone else.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Oh good tips, thanks! I was planning on trying Holetown as it is rumored to be "less" busy. I am in the same boat! $50.00 sounds good though! And just to confirm (1) passport size photo right? I still have some left over from my citizenship application...
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:58 pm

So here is the question.. you got a regular Barbados Drivers License without a Barbados ID??

If I read this correctly, you went to the Pine Licensing Office with a passport size photo, your other country drivers license and what else.

The reason I ask is that I Have several friends who are actually being told that even though they have been issued a Barbados drivers license at least once before (likely more than that) that now, because they don't hold a BB ID they can't get the local license.

any insight would be appreciated.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Only referring to applications with Barbados ids, sorry!

Zanne yes 1 passport size picture.