Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

The dreaded African Snails!

The dreaded African Snails!

Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Changelo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The dreaded African Snails!

Hi Everyone,

I've recently planted some figs and I live in an area that is heavily infested with African Snails.

I'm aware that there are snail pellets which can be picked up free of charge from the Ministry of Agriculture, but I would prefer an organic method because its a food crop.

I've tried the beer trap method, with some success and was wondering if there are any other methods out there.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The dreaded African Snails!

I've heard that they don't like material that they can't "slide" across (gross!), so apparently you can use talcum powder, or chalk, or baby powder around your garden to keep them from going in. Like a boundary line

Good luck!
Foxy
Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Hi Changelo...I have some information on the (negative) issues surrounding the use of the MOH snail bait. I imagine that you can find much of it via google as well. I have a whole pile of work to do tonight so I might not be able to get it out. Poss. tomorrow.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi Zanne,

I do have lots of reservations using it, and only do so as I need to find a viable alternative. Its hard to keep the snails at bay as many of my neighbours don't use any type of deterant, so the snail population is at fever pitch in my area.

I googled the information about the harm these pellets can cause and I'm even more concerned.

I also came across a tip about mixing water and vinegar 50/50 and to use as a spray. I think I'll try this method.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Peanut Punch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Changelo
Hope you don't mind me bringing this subject up again .... I was wondering if you'd found a way of dealing with these snails... hope so... I'd be really interested in finding out if there are any solutions please.
Thanks.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Icey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
I've heard that they don't like material that they can't "slide" across (gross!), so apparently you can use talcum powder, or chalk, or baby powder around your garden to keep them from going in. Like a boundary line

Good luck!
Foxy

that is quite funny, what about some kindy of 'salty' boundary line.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

I bet that would work, too!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: The dreaded African Snails!

Originally Posted by Peanut Punch
Hi Changelo
Hope you don't mind me bringing this subject up again .... I was wondering if you'd found a way of dealing with these snails... hope so... I'd be really interested in finding out if there are any solutions please.
Thanks.
Hi Peanut Punch,

I’m happy to report that I have had some success with the water and vinegar 50/50 solution. I mix it in a spray can and cover spray the area in the evenings once the climate is a bit cooler. I find that best time is between 6:00pm and 7:00pm. This is the time that the snails are more active and start their journey out of hiding to feed.

Keeping the ground between the figs clear has helped. The rainy season was quite challenging as the snails tend to be out and about most of the day.

My figs are flourishing and multiplying. I planted 12 and already, most have suckers with 12 inches or more of growth.The main plants are about 8 feet tall, but no figs yet. I’ve been told that figs tend to fruit all around the same time so I hope that I have an audience for some free wholesome fruit (There’s only just so many I can eat!!)

While I'm on the topic, I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion or two regarding how to get rid of the mimosa tree. Its a fine leaved tree which roots from tiny airbound seeds ( like those from dandelions) its very difficult to get rid of once established.Even the small ones have to be dug out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Changelo; Sep 13th 2009 at 4:58 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Peanut Punch is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear it worked Changelo - enjoy your produce.
Thanks for all the replies.....
Peanut Punch