British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Divorce and Family Law in Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/divorce-family-law-barbados-721978/)

Rastababes Jun 22nd 2011 1:45 pm

Divorce and Family Law in Barbados

Hi,
I have been trying to find out what the laws are in Barbados regarding divorce and how long you have to be married before the assets are divided up equally.
Does anyone have any information concerning this or could point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.
R.

zanne Jun 22nd 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Divorce and Family Law in Barbados

R- you should consult a lawyer, but I will tell you that it is never a true 50-50 split down the middle, each side presents it's case for why they should get more. Also I believe that the lawyers take a piece of the pie as well, another words if the pie is too small, they may advise you against seeking a particular asset. For example my husband and I owned a $50,000 car-- and they told me not to bother seeking to dissolve it and split the proceeds. HTH

Rastababes Jun 22nd 2011 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by zanne (Post 9450046)
R- you should consult a lawyer, but I will tell you that it is never a true 50-50 split down the middle, each side presents it's case for why they should get more. Also I believe that the lawyers take a piece of the pie as well, another words if the pie is too small, they may advise you against seeking a particular asset. For example my husband and I owned a $50,000 car-- and they told me not to bother seeking to dissolve it and split the proceeds. HTH

H Zanne,
Thanks for the reply. I have contacted a lawyer and he mentioned that 5 years was the term you needed to be married before assets are split. I always thought that Barbados followed UK law as it is 2 years here I believe!
It's all very messy as we have only been married a year, I don't have citizenship yet, I own a property and he doesn't, I own a car as well so you can imagine my concern.
I would be grateful for any information from this forum if anyone has experience something similar.
many, many thanks.
R.

zanne Jun 22nd 2011 7:35 pm

If you want to chat PM me, I know how tough it is...

Rastababes Jun 22nd 2011 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by zanne (Post 9450293)
If you want to chat PM me, I know how tough it is...

Not sure how to do that?? Can you advise on PM!

zanne Jun 22nd 2011 7:53 pm

I think you may need more posts to PM! Let me try to PM you...:)

Rastababes Jun 22nd 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by zanne (Post 9450325)
I think you may need more posts to PM! Let me try to PM you...:)

I got it, speak later.
R.

Serendipidy Jun 22nd 2011 9:13 pm

Did you marry in england or in barbados?

Also if you get divorced does he have themoney to claim against your assets cos lawyers aint gonna be cheap for him

Serendipidy Jun 22nd 2011 9:16 pm

Also does the law take effect on where the assets are located ie England if they are there?

Rastababes Jun 23rd 2011 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 9450483)
Did you marry in england or in barbados?

Also if you get divorced does he have themoney to claim against your assets cos lawyers aint gonna be cheap for him

Hi Serendipidy
In answer to your question we married in Barbados and my house is in BIM also. The house is used as a holiday letting and we have never lived together for a long period of time, so I think this may go in my favour.

Rastababes Jun 23rd 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 9450492)
Also does the law take effect on where the assets are located ie England if they are there?

Hi again,
No I don't think so. Anyway I don't have any assets in England luckily!