British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Disabled - Handicapped - Wheelchair Access Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/disabled-handicapped-wheelchair-access-barbados-528121/)

3aces Apr 9th 2008 7:17 pm

Disabled - Handicapped - Wheelchair Access Barbados

Just got back from a wonderful ten day holiday in Barbados. The people in Barbados are absolutely wonderful - best in the world!

Before going I tried in vain to find good information on disabled (handicapped, wheelchair) access in Barbados. As such, with the consent of the moderators I would like to give a general overview of my experience as a disabled traveller. I'm hoping the search engines will index this post so that anyone searching for disabled, handicapped or wheelchair access, it will be picked up.

Barbados is a really wonderful place but I would not recommend it for anyone confined to a wheelchair. It is generally okay for anyone who may be disabled but can walk a bit and manage a few steps.

If I were confined to a wheelchair (I use a wheelchair at airports, parks or where there may be a lot of walking so I know what it is like to be in one), I would have found it very difficult t to get around. Some areas have ramps but generally I would say access is poor (but I'm told is improving).

If you are staying at a hotel (with good access) and not venturing out, then fine. Also, if you are happy just driving around, you will be okay. I would urge anyone wheelchair bound to fully investigate where they were going before hand and plan their journey accordingly.

If like myself, you are ambulant and can manage a few steps (there are steps everywhere!). you will be fine. What makes Barbados wonderful is the people. Before going I read people's comments on the how fantastic the people were but was not prepared to be welcomed in such a wonderful way.

Truely awesome!

I miss it already :(

zanne Apr 10th 2008 12:49 am

Re: Disabled - Handicapped - Wheelchair Access Barbados

Hello I recently had a relative visit us here that has difficulty walking and it seems that Barbados is a hard place for even those who walk well! There is a great bit of irony in this due to the fact that cars arrived here not too long ago.

I lived in NYC for many years and worked as an Architect and I can tell you (and maybe you have experienced it for yourself) it too is not an easy place to navigate with disabilities--I saw in my own work far too many times a reluctance by builders and developers to spend the money required to make spaces adaptable (and further) usable. I have also read many articles about Barbadians with disabilities that have difficulty navigating basic day to day tasks due to the constraints of their physical environments. I can only hope that Barbados as it advances chooses to assist people in need and make the physical environment more user friendly.

I'm glad that you had a good time here and I do hope that you visit again!

Foxy_fromCanada Aug 16th 2008 4:51 pm

Hi all,

I was reminded of this thread in the past few days. On Monday, I fractured a toe (sympathies welcome, preferably in the form of cookies!) and have been using crutches and a cane to get around. I've noticed, as a result, how difficult it is here for a person with a handicap/disability to get around!

Someone permanently wheelchair-bound would find it nearly impossible to get around, in my opinion. I've seen a few ramps, but it's not just access to a store/restaurant; it's the lack of sidewalks, lack of "kneeling" buses, and generally rough ground through parking lots etc.

I must say, however, that restaurants etc. have been wonderful about letting us park close to the doors so I don't have far to go. Thankfully, we have a car to get us around. Walking/public transit would not be possible, even on crutches or using the cane.

And it's a little embarrassing to have Netsirk carrying me around everywhere :rofl: although he's super-sweet for doing it! :wub:

3aces Aug 17th 2008 3:52 pm

Just thought I should add to this. St Lucia in my opinion has much better access if you are ambulant.