A difficult question...

Old Mar 16th 2015, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

annada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A difficult question...

I am moving to barbados with my kids and husband next week. One of my daughters will be attending kindergarden. I have heard that being gay is illegal in Barbados and I must say I'm a bit shocked. I am really worried that my children may be expose to such a stupid discrimination, and mainly I am worried that someone might tell my kids that being gay is wrong or as they say, something that can be cured. None of us is gay, but we've always supported the gay community back in the UK. Husband and I will be teaching our children what's right or wrong, but we are curious to know what is really happening there. Do they teach this stuff at school? Thank you all.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:26 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A difficult question...

Hi Annada

Barbados like any Caribbean Island has strong opinions on both Christianity and Homosexuality and are extremely vocal about both. It is part of their everyday culture that homosexuality is not promoted or supported per se. However most gay caribbean people would feel more comfortable in Barbados than any other island, in fact it was widely speculated and accepted that a previous deputy prime minister was a lesbian which did not inhibit her getting to the position as I feel it might have in the UK. I cannot answer your question about being illegal or not but I can say that persecution of people through their sexuality via government or on mass it not a case in Barbados unlike other places. I have even heard mention of Barbados as the "gay capital of the Caribbean".

Within any black community be it in the Caribbean, Africa, United Kingdom or America there is still a stigma attached to being gay.

Again I cannot comment about schools and what is taught but you can pass most churches and hear the cries of homosexual marriage being an abomination and we will not allow it here in Barbados.

As for stupid discrimination although I dont disagree with your sentiment you have to accept you are entering a completely different culture and mindset and it is your choice to join them in this culture not their choice therefore you will need to enter with an accepting heart and educate where ever you can ...going in with the you are wrong attitude will just cause you stress and heartache and will change nothing

Last edited by Serendipidy; Mar 17th 2015 at 8:28 am.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 4:32 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say that I've ever known that type of conversation to come up or be taught in schools, especially in a pre-school, kindergarten type setting.

As for it being illegal.. well.. I've never known any gay person in Barbados ever being put in jail.. and there are plenty.. and yes, I think it does depend on who you will be socializing with.. the older Barbadian community will follow their religious beliefs and how they were raised.. but the younger will be more tolerant.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

annada is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both very much, this really helps.

All the best and see you soon in Barbados.