Delicatessen

Old May 13th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Starlit Sands is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Delicatessen

Hi, does anybody know if there's anywhere on the island where you can purchase a selection of cold cooked meats? Chorizo, pancetta, parma ham type foods...anything more interesting than "boneless ham"!
Thanks in advance,
Starlit Sands
Old May 13th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Delicatessen

Oh definitely! Mamma Mia on the South Coast road has all that stuff, as well as other yummy Italian delicacies!
Old May 13th 2009, 11:16 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

it's good that you didn't mention "cheap".. cause that word does not equate to those lovely items you are looking for (or the boneless ham either for that matter).

I've learned through the years, to understand that Deli in Barbados is not what I'm used too in the USA (or I'm sure england either). Cutters in St. Philip has a somewhat OK selection of Black Forest Products available as well - Ham, Roast Beef, and other meats .. not sure about prices.. it's across from The Crane Resort.
Old May 15th 2009, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Starlit Sands is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, thanks both of you for your suggestions! I went to Mamma Mia's and picked up some supplies - they were actually really good and didn't break the bank! I will try Cutters another time soon :-)

I'm from the UK (Surrey/Greater London) and only moved to the island in January, due to a relocation with my boyfriend's job. We're living in Hastings, so Mamma Mia's is very handy being close by! I noticed your thread about meeting up tomorrow, so might try and pop along as I don't know that many people here either and it sounds good fun!

Thanks again :-)
Old May 15th 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

starlit you should stop by it will be fun...I am a deli addict, 13 years in NYC...that is the one thing I miss most...a decent corned beef sandwich, a dill pickle, and some real coleslaw...
Old May 16th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditto! Starlit, you should definitely pop by!

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to know who to look for, or just use the force Ask around for Foxy and see what kinds of funny looks you get
Old May 16th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Wait a second Foxy...you're not wearing the fuchsia feather boa and the Dorthy Wizard of Oz shoes...
Old May 16th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

:curse: Bloody hell, Zanne, you gave me away.
Old May 16th 2009, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

My boa is currently at the drycleaner being cleaned one feather at a time... instead I will be sporting my favourite (note my new heightened awareness of the Barbadian proclivity toward -ou) fake duty free pseudo pashmina-- seriously, accompanied by $20BB sunglasses (that are also fake) purchased on Swan Street.

What does this have to do with high quality luncheon meats you might ask...absolutely nothing!!!

Last edited by zanne; May 16th 2009 at 12:38 am.
Old May 16th 2009, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicely done on the "ou"! It's like you're Bajan. Or British. Or Canadian...

I promise to stop hijacking this thread starting now.
Old May 16th 2009, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The receptionist at my office catches the -ou's in my documents but seems to overlook other traditional spelling mistakes...I am integrating...
Old May 16th 2009, 3:00 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zanne
The receptionist at my office catches the -ou's in my documents but seems to overlook other traditional spelling mistakes...I am integrating...
Favourite/favorite.. my favorite barbadian word.. when my now 13 year old daughter was in J1/Class 1 at primary school (7-8yr olds) she was asked to spell this word in a sentance at school (it may have been a homework assignment).. "mom how do you spell this word".. so I spelled it.. WRONG.. her Trinidadian raised Teacher, told her it was spelled (spelt) wrong.. I said.. tell her no it's not.. that its the American Spelling and the ou is the English.. so it's not spelled (spelt) wrong, just not how it's spelt here.... by I do write my cheques and keep a check list of things I need to do..

ok.. sorry.. had to get that off my chest.. I'm uncertain about the meet up .. it would be great to meet you all. I'll see what I can do.. I'll just go to the bar and ask for Foxy.. hehehe.. (my boa is, as well, at the dry cleaners.. so will not be sporting that if I am able to come 'round).
Old May 16th 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll know a lot of the staff there (what does that say about me???) so I'll let them know that people might come asking for Foxy

I know, I know, I promised I would stop hijacking this thread. Starting... NOW!