Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Dangers of cycling on Barbados roads

Dangers of cycling on Barbados roads

Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dangers of cycling on Barbados roads

As a regular traveller, Barbados does NOT have the safest roads in the world, and to try to argue so is absurd. I've been all over the world and have seen better and worse roads in many different countries. There are issues in every country, but to try and paint a picture of road safety being exemplified here in Barbados is utterly ridiculous.

I will agree that many drivers here are very polite, letting people into lanes etc. I do enjoy that while driving here. But these are not the safest roads in the world, and we all know that.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:58 am
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats your opinion,and what i said is my opinion,i travel all over the world and you dont travel half as much as i do, and although we dont have the biggest and best road structure in the world.Our road for its size and the amount of traffic we have for a small island,and our considerate drivers are with out any doubt the best in the world.I was in Paris and saw a lady trying to park her vehicle,the space was to small so she reverse onto a parked car pushing the car backward in order to get into a parking space.

Last edited by neal brown; Dec 21st 2009 at 1:34 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Bajan Police is an unknown quantity at this point

Neal - what you seen in Paris does not mean every driver in France is like that, erm have to disagree with you re the Bajan drivers - they drive far too fast sometimes for the area they are in, nobody seem to stick to de speed limits. I think it is better to drive in Jamaica.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:35 pm
Banned

Bajanpolice out of all the cities that i have travel,Paris was my favourite and honestly speaking it has the worst traffic and drivers.motorpeds and cars bumping and swirling into each other in all directions i has never been so scared,it reminds me of India /China.No kind of order what so ever compare to barbados.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Paris and Barbados both have their fair share of dangerous drivers, but I'm not sure the thread necessarily needs to debate which is worse

Even if Barbados only had ONE road death a year, it would be worth debating the best way for us to avoid it. I'm sure the govt. and we as drivers could make travelling around the island safer than it already is (whether you regard our roads as treacherous or the safest in the world, I'm sure we all agree we'd like it to continue getting better).
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neal brown
As a regular traveller,Barbados has the safest roads in the world,we may not have the best road structure,but compare to all of Europe and USA our drivers have more respect for pedestrians and other road user.We Bajans are the only people in the world that stop our cars and allow people to cross the road,allow other cars to come out of congested area,stop and give way.Our drivers are the most generous compare to the international community.People in the big countries does not give way,they have no respect for other road user,and they would run you over if you try to cross the road.
Neal ... please be fair. You cant make outrageous unfounded untrue sweeping comments on a forum and not expect to get some strong feedback. So .... best to be realistic eh? Every country has its own standards of driving. I have driven all over Europe, and in the USA extensively and what you are saying is clearly not the case in most countries, although there will always be exceptions

If you cite Paris ... well ... Paris is a huge city with far far too many cars. I've driven there too. I agree its terrifying. But I'm guessing there is nothing to compare in Barbados in terms of car numbers. Go out into the French countryside then it's a different story.

Its true to say though that any death on the roads is one too many

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Dec 22nd 2009 at 4:03 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Its true to say though that any death on the roads is one too many
Well said, Mitzyboy, well said.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:12 pm
Banned

I am giving my opinion, am sure a lot of people will agree and a few will not,well thats your opinion.None of you still cant prove anything, bigger does not means better.Drivers dont even stop at the Zebra crossing,and constantly running red lights i can go on and on,thats why there are so many speed cameras all over England and many other countries (to many to name) and at almost every stop light,not only because the governments need some extra cash,but because of reckless driving, running red lights, countless hit and run ,road rage, racing on the motor ways,drunking drivers/teenagers and the list goes on.So please dont complain about our roads in Barbados because yours are no better.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

A wee bit over the top, Neal. You are coming across as very confrontal and that is not required in this thread or any thread btw. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but you can express it without anger or defensiveness.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:33 pm
Banned

Can you underline anything that i have said that is confrontational?
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here for about 5 months now. At first I thought the roads were terrible. However, I recently drove through some of the streets I thought were small 5 months ago and they seem fine. Just had to get used to the difference.

I think driving conditions here are not too bad considering the type of traffic and how young the country is. Some of the accidents I used to see frequently on 400 series highways in Canada were horrific.

As for Cycling in Barbados (Original topic), I can't see the country making any quick change. Like people said, the roads are just good enough for two cars and this does not even include sidewalks for pedestrians in lots of places.

A quick win might be creating a bike park or a designated area vs. making the entire country or all roads bike accessible. I have a hard tail mountain bike and looking for a safe place to ride.

Just my two cents.

Have a safe holiday all
Zombie
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neal brown
I am giving my opinion, am sure a lot of people will agree and a few will not,well thats your opinion.None of you still cant prove anything, bigger does not means better.Drivers dont even stop at the Zebra crossing,and constantly running red lights i can go on and on,thats why there are so many speed cameras all over England and many other countries (to many to name) and at almost every stop light,not only because the governments need some extra cash,but because of reckless driving, running red lights, countless hit and run ,road rage, racing on the motor ways,drunking drivers/teenagers and the list goes on.So please dont complain about our roads in Barbados because yours are no better.
Im sorry Neal. Much as I almost enjoy some of your input here, I have to say that these posts ARE confrontational. What you are saying is clearly NOT the case. You may say it's your opinion, but you clearly dont understand other countries systems

I'm sure that every country has its transportation faults, but there is really no need to make outlandish uninformed claims about other countries systems just because someone has made a negative comment about yours.

Neal ... we're very fair on here, but there does come a point, please remember rule 1

Now maybe a move back to the topic in hand
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:40 pm
Banned

reslax is an unknown quantity at this point

It was reported in the Nation newspaper online a few days ago that the police will be issuing tickets themselves for approximately 52 different violations instead of the four that they now issue tickets for. They currently issue tickets mainly for parking violations. I don't know when the law will go into effect, but they will be issuing tickets for speeding, overloading, driving off route (busses), etc. I hope they will actively look out for and ticket reckless drivers on a daily basis and not just pass out a few tickets just for show on occasion. The death toll for road fatalities now stands at 25, up from 18 this time last year.

I also noticed on CBC news that "extreme bikers," including motor cyclists and ATV riders have found a place in St. Andrew to ride. I don't know the exact location or how safe it is for the bikers, but I hope they will be encouraged to stay off the main roads and ride in more remote locations until some suitable places can be built for them utilise.

Last edited by reslax; Dec 22nd 2009 at 7:46 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reslax
I also noticed on CBC news that "extreme bikers," including motor cyclists and ATV riders have found a place in St. Andrew to ride. I don't know the exact location or how safe it is for the bikers, but I hope they will be encouraged to stay off the main roads and ride in more remote locations until some suitable places can be built for them utilise.
That's interesting, Reslax. I've seen them on the main roads and have worried about them, especially as many of them don't wear helmets. Recently I've seen tourists on the ATV tours on the main roads, too. They would be better off-road (that's what those vehicles are meant for, after all) away from cars where they are less likely to be hit.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 10:43 pm
Banned

The location is in Hillaby St.Andrew,remember all those ATVs and motor cycle are road legall,and have the right to be on the road just like any other vehicle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.