British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Daily Mail Article today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/daily-mail-article-today-740208/)

Lyndi1 Nov 27th 2011 7:37 pm

Daily Mail Article today

Hi everyone, wondered if you'd seen this article

I was viciously raped on this Barbados beach but local police cared more about protecting tourism, says brave British grandmother By Angela Levin

Sitting in her immaculate three-bedroom bungalow on Anglesey, Diane Davies thinks every day of her holiday in Barbados last winter. But she wishes she could forget it.

For this 62-year-old grandmother of nine, holiday memories don’t mean happy images of a paradise island with palm trees, white sand and warm seas.

Instead, she relives over and over the brutal rape she suffered in broad daylight in one of the island’s most exclusive areas.
Bruised and swollen: Diane Davies the day after her attack
Her anguish over this horrific attack is compounded by her treatment by the local police and victim-support personnel, which, at best, could be characterised as breathtakingly incompetent and, at worst, as callously indifferent ................

(SNIP)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1ewELjHMu

mark.alexander Dec 11th 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Daily Mail Article today

I stayed with a friend of in a house right on the beach near where this happened. We met a friend here on holiday that said (which ois now 2 weeks ago) she had a really bad encounter with a local man who asked her some real discusting things sexually and she felt trapped. She managed to get away luckily. I dread to think its the same person doing this or a set of men praying on women in that area. yes its a very affluent area.

Generally no woman local or otherwise should walk around any area that is not in clear view of the public. This goes for any country. I hate it when small minded people just make braod statements that put other people from maybe enjoying an island that they have been wanting to go to.

Lyndi1 Dec 12th 2011 5:42 pm

I know, that's not good.

I do think that the Government and the Police force should be working hard to ensure the tourists are not put off coming to Barbados, They should be making sure that they deal with these incidents properly and catching the culprits.

In this day and age of global media, there is very little that can be kept under wraps. So the Government can't pretend these attacks don't happen, they have to be seen dealing with them and be transparent or people will definately stop coming, which would be a shame as Barbados is a wonderful country:(

mark.alexander Dec 12th 2011 6:19 pm

Having said that, you are dealing with an older generation of a male dominated police force. You also have to factor in that this island is set in its ways and does not like to 'rock the boat'.

The general attitude of the island's mentality needs to change. Some still think that a woman being raped is directly associated with something that she has brought upon herself. This feeling is also shared by the older generation of women also.

There is not enough resources and experience for the BPF to deal with cases that are sexually motivated. I can't tell you how many of my female friends tell me that they have had a very bad sexually motivated encounter with men that they did not report for fear of how it will be handled.

Originally Posted by Lyndi1 (Post 9784312)
I know, that's not good.

I do think that the Government and the Police force should be working hard to ensure the tourists are not put off coming to Barbados, They should be making sure that they deal with these incidents properly and catching the culprits.

In this day and age of global media, there is very little that can be kept under wraps. So the Government can't pretend these attacks don't happen, they have to be seen dealing with them and be transparent or people will definately stop coming, which would be a shame as Barbados is a wonderful country:(

Lyndi1 Dec 12th 2011 6:49 pm

That's bad Mark.

I hear what you say but I'm sure if the tourist stop coming because of the island's reputation, they will soon find the money!

mark.alexander Dec 12th 2011 9:05 pm

Sensible tourists are not put off by danger on any island. Most of them travel in numbers and go out in numbers and go to safe places in numbers.

It would take for something similar like what happended to Natalee Ann Holloway who disappeared on May 30, 2005 during a high school graduation trip to Aruba for this island to wake up. That was a big case and they have not found her. It really put a bad spotlight on the island. Again having said all of that, that island prob did not suffer much from the fall out of that case.

I will repeat, this island is run by men with money and the women that support them no matter what. No one is going to let sexually motivated or any other crime for that matter from stop currency coming in.

I do not ever remember Barbados ever having a national state of emergency like TNT has had recently. Now that would be one of the things that would have a major impact on tourism.

Originally Posted by Lyndi1 (Post 9784479)
That's bad Mark.

I hear what you say but I'm sure if the tourist stop coming because of the island's reputation, they will soon find the money!