Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Customs Brokers--Need recommendations.

Customs Brokers--Need recommendations.

Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Customs Brokers--Need recommendations.

Can anyone recommend a customs broker to clear our cat at the airport? Thanks.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Customs Brokers--Need recommendations.

You should telephone the chief vet, his contact number is on the immigration details for bringing out pets.

We spoke to him when we had expected to bring our cat out and he recommended some but I can't remember their names, sorry. He was really helpful.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Customs Brokers--Need recommendations.

They recommended the most expensive ones! $200.00BB...what a racket
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Zanne:

You really do not need a broker, but the process can be tedious and will result in you having to make several trips to get all the paperwork in order. Ask the Chief Vet what paper work you need and where you can get that from.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I see, I have refrained from saying before: but I am peeved that I need a broker to clear a cat! When you say several trips, do you mean that the animal will have to spend more than one day at the ARC?

The whole "Customs Broker" thing cracks me up because I worked in a similar capacity in NYC-- but at the Department of Buildings which is full of people called Expediters. After doing that for so long I know that you can do most anything in a Gov't Agency yourself...plus how can a government agency mandate the use of a private contractor?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

P.S. My next door neighbor worked at GAIA for 18+ years and has said the same thing...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Customs Brokers--Need recommendations.

Hi Zanne,

When you get one, would you mind sharing the info with me? I'll need one, too, for when Desmond arrives.

Thanks,
Michelle
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy: we are going to do it ourselves...I really can't stomach the thought of paying a broker 200-300BB to clear a cat! If I get any recs. I will pass them on.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Hi all

I'm not bringing a cat (or any other animal) in, but I want to ship a load of my furniture over in the summer, most of it is over 2 yrs old, but there might be a couple of new items. Will I need a Customs Broker for that.....or will it at least make my life easier if I do have one??
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Easy to do yourself...IMO. I did ours.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Thanks zanne

How closely do they inspect the contents of the container - for example, I'm thinking of bringing in a new dining table & chairs - will customs pick up on that??.....do i need to get the kids to bash it about a bit before I ship it??
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

In my case they opened 2 boxes and didn't bother with the rest...it really depends on the officer.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Zanne, thanks for the info.....