cost of living in barbados

Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cost of living in barbados

The things which hit hard are the cost of Goods. The VAT and the cost of importation. Also importing a vehicle to Barbados can be a nightmare and may take a month or two for it to be released from customs.

In having the Barbados dollar exchange rate pegged to the US$ it means the government has to maintain large reserves to borrow against. As such the government passes this cost on to importing items. Case in point. Buying an XBox360 from one of the department stores (e.g. Dacosta Mannings, Cave Shepherd, or Courts) in Barbados costs ~ US$550. A rule of thumb in Barbados (if you're living there) is in the store expect to pay ~ 150% more than what you're paying on the same goods in the UK.

When you're a tourist in Barbados you can just show your passport and proof of plane ticket and you can purchase duty free. But if you live in the island for an extended amount of time that 15% VAT will tend to hit hard.

That's the good the bad and the ugly.

~Tropical_11th

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; Aug 26th 2006 at 3:32 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

MichaelSaun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by _Tropical_11th
The things which hit hard are the cost of Goods. The VAT and the cost of importation. Also importing a vehicle to Barbados can be a nightmare and may take a month or two for it to be released from customs.

In having the Barbados dollar exchange rate pegged to the US$ it means the government has to maintain large reserves to borrow against. As such the government passes this cost on to importing items. Case in point. Buying an XBox360 from one of the department stores (e.g. Dacosta Mannings, Cave Shepherd, or Courts) in Barbados costs ~ US$550. A rule of thumb in Barbados (if you're living there) is in the store expect to pay ~ 150% more than what you're paying on the same goods in the UK.

When you're a tourist in Barbados you can just show your passport and proof of plane ticket and you can purchase duty free. But if you live in the island for an extended amount of time that 15% VAT will tend to hit hard.

~Tropical_11th
Many thanks for your reply. Most useful . I need one or two more facts to add to the portfolio I am compiling. To run a four bedroomed detached in the NW of the UK with a small mortgage costs in the region of 870 pounds a month. On top of this food costs for a family of three are about 400 pounds a month. I would be most grateful if you could provide me with a ballpark figure for monthly living and food costs aside from accommodation in Barbados.

My wife and I will rent an apartment to start with and will consider buying only after we have stayed for a perod of six months to acclimatise. I will be looking to have lower living costs than I do in the UK. For example, you mentioned fuel costs, to go 20 miles each way to work in my old Honda costs approx 90 pounds a month in fuel. Add that to everything else and you need quite a high income to live on here and I am more fortunate than many.

Barbados may be dear but the UK is excessively so and is also very high in the areas of tax. That is why so many people want to get out and why over 700,000 live in France and Spain. Putting it simply,the UK is not the country it once was and has a government in office that is beyond belief. I will leave it there.

If you dont mind me asking why did you leave the UK?

Is there an expats club on the island that I could link in with at all as we do intend to join in when we eventually ger there?

Mike Saunders
Old Oct 19th 2006, 12:23 am
Just Joined

nevstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there my friend. Barbados is a wonderful place and yes you can scuba dive every day. The people are exceptional and you would have no problem. I am also now looking into starting a small business there, but maybe you can employ me in your new office .
I will be visiting in February, 2007 again to look into the business possibilities because I want to return to live there (presently in Montreal, Canada).
Apartments are approximately $1200-2500 Bds, but they are modern and nice. An ideal place I would recommend to live is Christ Church, especially upper St.Lawrence Gap.
You can forward me any additional questions that you have and I would be very happy to answer them for you.

Regards,

Neville.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 12:43 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

~Tropical_11th
tropical you can give me some help here - despite searching the internet cant find the actual taxation fee put on importing vehicles. do you know what it is?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by MichaelSaun
Many thanks for your reply. Most useful . I need one or two more facts to add to the portfolio I am compiling. To run a four bedroomed detached in the NW of the UK with a small mortgage costs in the region of 870 pounds a month. On top of this food costs for a family of three are about 400 pounds a month. I would be most grateful if you could provide me with a ballpark figure for monthly living and food costs aside from accommodation in Barbados.

My wife and I will rent an apartment to start with and will consider buying only after we have stayed for a perod of six months to acclimatise. I will be looking to have lower living costs than I do in the UK. For example, you mentioned fuel costs, to go 20 miles each way to work in my old Honda costs approx 90 pounds a month in fuel. Add that to everything else and you need quite a high income to live on here and I am more fortunate than many.

Barbados may be dear but the UK is excessively so and is also very high in the areas of tax. That is why so many people want to get out and why over 700,000 live in France and Spain. Putting it simply,the UK is not the country it once was and has a government in office that is beyond belief. I will leave it there.

If you dont mind me asking why did you leave the UK?

Is there an expats club on the island that I could link in with at all as we do intend to join in when we eventually ger there?

Mike Saunders
I hate to say but you'll find the cost of living in Barbados can be very high. Memberships to clubs arent that cheap depending on where you want to go. Car prices are MUCH higher than the UK (think almost twice the price), groceries are often imported so therefore also high in price. If you run AC'sin the house your electricity bill will be very high as they're real expensive to run.

you can do things on a budget but it'll be hard. have no illusions - Barbados is a pricey place to live on the whole - dont expect to get more from your money consumer wise - but you'll be doing it in the sun close to the beach
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: cost of living in barbados

Originally Posted by islandmom
tropical you can give me some help here - despite searching the internet cant find the actual taxation fee put on importing vehicles. do you know what it is?
Hmmm. I'm sorry I'm not really sure..... Last I heard a year ago the Government was hiking the temporary tax rate because Barbadians were spending/importing way too much. The Prime Minister said he was going to slap a temporary charge on luxary items to dampen some of that spending and I think that is still in effect. I took that to mean that now wouldn't be the best time to buy anything big-ticket. ,-)

Hey Islandmom are you still in SVG?

My thinking is- with SVG using the EC$ (also pegged to the US$) I believe they could have a similar policy as Barbados? How does SVG treat with the importation of cars there if you've by chance had any experience with that?

~Tropical_11th
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:54 am

Hey Islandmom are you still in SVG?

My thinking is- with SVG using the EC$ (also pegged to the US$) I believe they could have a similar policy as Barbados? How does SVG treat with the importation of cars there if you've by chance had any experience with that?

~Tropical_11th

yep still here - we're in a different position though as we're a tax free company and we bought our truck from the company direct and therefore paid no tax but when we leave we must sell it back to the company again with no tax.

I did get hold of some figures for importation - Holy Cow! Barabdos charges 300% import duty :scared: made up of tax, fees, emission tax, etc.. and the vehicle must be newer than 4 years old. Makes importing impossible as the costs are ridiculous.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

The duties on cars are not as high as 300%, more like 160% to 200%, But this does tend to triple the cost of the vehicle.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Jocky Lockie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I've just found and joined this Forum which seems to packed full of great advice and helpful members, well done.

I have an interview next week regarding a position in Barbados and have tried to get as much information as possible from all the other posts and threads but I was left with one or two questions that may be difficult for someone to answer .

The general feeling regarding Barbados seems to be very positive regarding life and I'd really like to be part of the scene.

I live and work in Scotland on a reasonable salary but really have no idea on what level of salary would be required to live a 'good life' in Barbados. I'm sure that as part of the interview process this will come up and therefore I'd like to have some sort of figure (without being ridiculous) to guage the position.

The vacancy is for a Quantity Surveyor in a Construction Company with a Car & Accomodation included

Any ideas?

I am married with two children (8 & 13) and my wife would also like to find employment on the Island. She is currently working with children in a Residential Home (some are bad :curse: and some are sad ) are there employment opportunities in this area? as they find it very difficult here to find people willing to work in this field.

As part of this move I'd obviously like to raise our standard of living and create a new lifestyle. Am I wrong to consider that a small swimming pool would be a 'standard fitting' to properties? It is one of those things the kids would love?

I hope none of the above comes across as pretentious as we are both 'working class' but would love to be part of a life changing move.

Kind Regards

G.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

I would imagine they would offer you a package alone the lines of what a QS would earn in the UK, with the car and house being a bonus. They may offer you a basic housing allowance (such as US$1250), which could be used to rent a comfortable house. A better house with a pool may cost more like US$2500, so you may have to contribute something if you want a better house. The car is likely to be somewhat basic as well (such as a Toyota Corolla) as cars are very expensive here (about twice the price as in the UK) so do not expect a BMW or an SUV.

As for your wife, she would have to apply for a work permit, which will not be easy to get. Salaries for residential homes (I assume you mean an old people's home) are not good, so she might have to get used to spending her days lying on the beach.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

She actually works in a Childrens Home, where kids have either no one to look after them or they have been 'kicked out' by their parents.

How long does it take for a permit (on average) is it different if your partner is working / have one? or are their no 'short-cuts'?

$2,250 that's alot ! Twice the price is it fair to assume that your $2 is equal to £1 just for an idea of cost.

Do you have any links to an Estate Agents etc where I could view properties?

Whith most of the information I have found to be tourist related, what do the residential areas look like?

I appreciate your response so quickly and would hate to ask for too much

Last edited by Jocky Lockie; Apr 4th 2007 at 3:23 pm. Reason: Misake on the exchange rate
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

You could try www.cariblist.com.

As for the work permit for your wife, ask the company that is going to employ you. They will have to get a work permit for you, so they could enquire about getting one for your wife. I do not think it will be easy, however.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

If work permits are so hard to get, are there restrictions on starting your own business/working for yourself?

My wife is also interested in providing a child minding service, is this a possibility or by the fact that permts are difficult to get means usually only one parent works and therefore child minding is not much required

I realise there will be a wide variety of people as members here but can I ask what you feel is a reasonable salary (either $ or £) that will sustain a family of 4.

I also run an Emergency Locksmith business here in Bonny Scotland can you say employ / train someone to do this for you under your Work Permit

Thanks again,
G.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:22 am
Just Joined

wofbart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jocky Lockie
Hi all, I've just found and joined this Forum which seems to packed full of great advice and helpful members, well done.

I have an interview next week regarding a position in Barbados and have tried to get as much information as possible from all the other posts and threads but I was left with one or two questions that may be difficult for someone to answer .

The general feeling regarding Barbados seems to be very positive regarding life and I'd really like to be part of the scene.

I live and work in Scotland on a reasonable salary but really have no idea on what level of salary would be required to live a 'good life' in Barbados. I'm sure that as part of the interview process this will come up and therefore I'd like to have some sort of figure (without being ridiculous) to guage the position.

The vacancy is for a Quantity Surveyor in a Construction Company with a Car & Accomodation included

Any ideas?

I am married with two children (8 & 13) and my wife would also like to find employment on the Island. She is currently working with children in a Residential Home (some are bad :curse: and some are sad ) are there employment opportunities in this area? as they find it very difficult here to find people willing to work in this field.

As part of this move I'd obviously like to raise our standard of living and create a new lifestyle. Am I wrong to consider that a small swimming pool would be a 'standard fitting' to properties? It is one of those things the kids would love?

I hope none of the above comes across as pretentious as we are both 'working class' but would love to be part of a life changing move.

Kind Regards

G.

Depending on the firm you could be driving a pickup, if you have to go on site.
your wife wont be able to work unless she gets her own work permit, plenty of good private schools for the kids.
The pool well that depends on the house, talk to the boss and find out were it is or what the house is called and of you dont want to ask if it has a pool drop me a line and ill let you know, if your working for M.T good man very keen on family.
Hope you life your drink
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:47 pm

just re-iterating the others really -

its expensive to live, make sure you either get an allowance that covers the house cost or the house itself. Also get utilities paid (electric, water) as they are also VERY expensive.

As for a pool - think you may be hoping a bit much there - but you may get a house in a condo area and have a communal one.

Cars - wow! most expensive in the Caribbean pretty much and most people get theirs on finance as theres no way you can buy outright (I think they're 2 - 3 times the cost of UK).

Regular work permit entry restricts just you to work and your wife to be on temporary residency. Once the company pay for a long term residency for you and her (usual after 6months or a year) they may be able to review and re-apply for residency and work for her.

just remember - if shes caught working without a work visa you will be deported, immediately, and not allowed back.

School fees vary - 2 kids in senior school you'd be looking at $15,000 USD minimum per year for the 2 of them.

Its a great life, but I'd be asking no less than $120,000 USD for sure, plus car, house, utilities, medical costs, flight costs, relocation fees. and thats the minimum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.