cost of living in barbados

Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

yamel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cost of living in barbados

Thank you so much for your quick responses.

I would be paid through a London based company that has an office in Barbados. I've asked most of the questions about health care and taxes to my employer and am pending a response. Should actually have some of the questions answered by the end of the day.

My main motivation for moving is because it's a really great position. I've worked with the Prague office for a year (my first "real" job out of university), as a designer, and now I'm being offered this design manager position. So I'm not going to get rich, but I think it's a good opportunity. My boyfriend is Czech, so I think it could be a great opportunity for him to improve his English as well as experience life abroad. He works in IT, like building computers and networking and such, so it may even be possible for him to work through the internet. I've encouraged him to join the forum so those helping can have a better idea of what his IT skills entail.

Now Nesirk mentioned my boyfriend possibly working under the table. But I've read that penalty for being found without a work permit is deportation. I'm curious if they allow special allowances for him to live with me, (because I think he can only be there 30 days or so), even if he doesn't have a work permit. Do you know anyone who works under the table and how difficult those issues can be?

Also if he could set up a small business where he could do house call sort of work to those who need his computer services, this could be his loophole for the work permit issue. I know that in Czech Republic that starting a company can be easier than getting a work permit thorough an existing company.

Nesirk also mentioned the temp apartment thing. I will have two months paid for by the company, so I hope that will give me enough time to find a suitable place to live. My friend who is from Barbados but has lived abroad since she graduated high school, recommended that I try to buy a place. What are your thoughts on this issue?

Thanks again for all your help, I plan to use this forum quite a bit as I try to make my decision very soon.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Being in that field I would say that the pay is just too low vs. the cost of living here. Especially when it comes to the initial outlay of what you will need to set up: phone(s), internet, utilities, car, insurance, rent, food.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Okay I just received some answers from my employer. So to update my situation:

My work permit/visa will be taken care of by the company.

Health Insurance is not covered by the company, and this is the same for all employees at the Barbados office. Now Netsirk mentioned the cost for private insurance being about 800-1500, not sure if that's in US or BB $, also is that per month, and extra advice on this topic is much appreciated as it seems I will be needing to purchase it on my own.

I will need to have a Barbados bank account.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by yamel
Thank you so much for your quick responses.

Now Nesirk mentioned my boyfriend possibly working under the table. But I've read that penalty for being found without a work permit is deportation. I'm curious if they allow special allowances for him to live with me, (because I think he can only be there 30 days or so), even if he doesn't have a work permit.

Hi Yamel,

Your BF gets no special considerations whether or not you have a work permit. I'm in the same boat. Netsirk is my BF, and he does have a work permit but that does not help me or give me any rights to stay in the country longer than 30 days. So, I am in the process of getting my own work permit. I'll be looking to get the initial 30 days extended when I arrive next week, like many others have mentioned on this site. But bottom line: Netsirk's work permit doesn't help me one bit.

I got this information directly from our lawyer - so I think it's pretty reliable haha.

Best of luck to you!
Foxy
Old Jun 29th 2008, 7:00 pm
Saturday Surfer

Netsirk is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay I just received some answers from my employer. So to update my situation:

My work permit/visa will be taken care of by the company.

Health Insurance is not covered by the company, and this is the same for all employees at the Barbados office. Now Netsirk mentioned the cost for private insurance being about 800-1500, not sure if that's in US or BB $, also is that per month, and extra advice on this topic is much appreciated as it seems I will be needing to purchase it on my own.

I will need to have a Barbados bank account.
Hahaha... I see my name all over the place LOL

Yes, technically if he were caught out they could deport him for avoiding the immigration process. He'll have to show that he can afford to live in Barbados and not be a burden, so put as much cash into his bank account as he can muster, print off the statement and bring it when he asks for additional time.

I'm not sure if it's easy to setup a company in Barbados, but I'd lean towards expecting it to be complicated and expensive.

Bajan boy can help with Health insurance, he's probably lurking somewhere around here. I will be buying mine in July when I get back.

There are no special allowances. The gov't doesn't care if you have a boyfriend and they won't cut him any slack. My GF is coming with me but she is treated as if she's here on her own.

And to add to what Zanne said, it costs a lot to get initially setup. I think I had to pay a USD Deposit of $300 for power, $200 for telephone, $300 for post-paid cellphone.... $100 for internet... they are BIG on deposits there so it's kinda painful.

Keep us posted! We fly back July 3rd.... no more cold weather!!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:19 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Again Yamel

Its not difficult to register a company in barbados however it does cost - you have to go through lawyers etc. Here's the catch tho lol - just cos you own a business dont give you the automatic right to work for it!!! you would still need to apply for a work permit which again is through a lawyer. (In total I paid over $10,000 bajan for my company and work permit - 3 years).

Barbados is very precious about whom they allow to work on the island - and rightly so in my opinion - the island is very small and many many graduates cannot find work in their chosen fields. IT,Media, Law, Accountancy and Banking are the mainstay skills of these graduates and are in plentiful supply.

When you say about your partner only being allowed to stay for 30 days is this information that has been given to you? As a British citizen I know we are entitled to 6 months (30 days is maximum for doing business on island) however im not sure what Czech citizens are entitled to.

Im kinda with Zanne in that the finances you been offered dont seem brilliant - Barbados is not as cheap as other caribbean islands ie St Lucia I really dont know how the locals cope on what they earn. On the positive side its a wonderful serene environment that offers warm and hospitable people and a really really good work/play balance - oh and there is the odd beautiful beach here and there lol

Serendipidy
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

tulipknife is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: cost of living in barbados

So, say I wanted to purchase a couple of properties, one to live in and one to rent out. Would I have to declare that as a business and would I need a need a work permit for this?

Also interesting to read about the deposits required, I have never seen this mentioned before but has been added to my ever extending list of things to do.:curse:
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:08 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question Tulip - looking forward to peeps replies - all i can comment on is "doing business" and working is two different things on the island. But i have heard that people do set up companies for buying their houses.

Serendipidy
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Okay, so they've up-ed my salary to US$30,000 per year, can the nice fellow with the spread sheet let me know how much of a difference that will make?

Also, I have some questions about the vaccinations, I read yellow fever is required and hepatitis A is strongly recommended. I plan to get both. Anything I should know about these vaccinations??

Thanks everyone.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Dublin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Serendipidy,

As always, thanks for your help and information.

We contacted Rose Apartments and unfortunately they are booked out for the period we require. Would you have names of other real estate companies that might be able to help us? Again, we are looking to locate on the south coast.

Just another question, once we arrive at our accommodation, will electricity and water etc be connected or have you heard of cases where you may be waiting a day or two for these to be organised?

Thanks a million,
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:34 pm

Hi Dublin

Drop me a line email or private message with your dates and what you are looking for ie how long etc and what price and I will make some calls for you. However you will need to create a better form of instant communication as I will need to relay the facts back to you as they get booked up quickly.

Serendipidy
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:36 pm

oops forgot to say I personally have never heard of anyone renting out property that does not have utlilities available on moving in - not sure if anyone else has heard of that kind of issue?

Serendipidy
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:49 am
Saturday Surfer

Okay, so they've up-ed my salary to US$30,000 per year, can the nice fellow with the spread sheet let me know how much of a difference that will make?

Also, I have some questions about the vaccinations, I read yellow fever is required and hepatitis A is strongly recommended. I plan to get both. Anything I should know about these vaccinations??

Thanks everyone.
Personal income tax in Barbados is no mystery. You can try the gov't website all about it HERE , on that website you can also find a copy of a tax return and figure out roughly what you'd end up with.... or I can tell you that the basic personal 'allowance' is roughly $12,500 USD and everything over that is taxed at 20%.

So if you make 30,000 then 30,000-12,500=17,500 is taxable at 20% which means you'd pay about 17,500*.2=3500. So your net income for the year would be around 26,500 and monthly would be about $2,200.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an accountant, just a guy who found the gov't website useful. I spoke with my acct here and apparently there are special credits given to non-nationals working here on a visa/work permit so you should go and get real professional advice.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:51 am
Saturday Surfer

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
oops forgot to say I personally have never heard of anyone renting out property that does not have utlilities available on moving in - not sure if anyone else has heard of that kind of issue?

Serendipidy
I haven't heard of any of the rentals not having water/electricity but do watch out for cable and ADSL. Broadband internet connections are a PAIN IN THE A$$!!!! To get !!!! ahhhhh!!!!!!

Can you tell I am having trouble with mine? :-) We just arrived today and you'd think after ordering it 6 weeks ago they would have hooked it up by now.... Nope! :-|
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

aasiegel is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all for the valuable information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.