Cost of living

Old Sep 26th 2018, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Mariean_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living

Hey all, I know this has been discussed before but I don't find any information for 2018 and recent cost of living in Barbados. So I'm currently talking with a company in Barbados and they asked to me go over there for a face to face interview meet the team etc. They also asked me what are my salaries expectations but from some research I have done it seems to be quite expensive London prices apart from renting which is bit cheaper.
Would anyone please help give some light on how much someone will need to live over there considering renting 1-2 bed house probably around Chris church (hastings) area?
And any other information I will appreciate it.
currently living in London and I'm female on my 30s.

thanks
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:14 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Between more expensive and a lot more expensive - someone who lives on that island wu’ill be on soon im sure but anything that is imported will cost you more than the UK maybe a quarter more maybe a third some services like insurance can be an awful lot more but then if you don’t own property or car maybe won’t be so expensive for you, and some locally produced produce can actually be cheaper but not a lot.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 9:30 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing would be.. you do need a work permit to work here. and that can take some time to get. they might be interviewing you now, so they can create the advertisement for the job.(it does happen)... as for salary. again. it depends on the job and what the company is willing to pay..

Gas/Petrol is currently 3.91bbd per liter (40cents of that is for road tax) .. that could go up or down this weekend or next. it usually does on the 1st Sunday night of the month..
a 1 to 2 bed house is going to vary depending on where plan to live. Furnished?? I'd say between 1000.00bbd to 1500.00bbd per month. you can google apartment rentals in Barbados and there should be a number of rentals to get an idea from..

The below list I got off TripAdvisor and is dated about a year ago. prices have gone up.. and they have gone down. .but at the moment austerity measure are going put into place.. so there really is no telling how things will be in the next 6 months or few years.. (you may want to reconsider moving here.. .. hope this helps....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In most bars you can purchase a beer for anywhere between $3-$8 depending on the location. Some bars have four beers ( Banks, Stag, Deputy or Hairoun) 4 for $10. Some places charge as much as $13 for a Banks, so becareful.

Sodas / Juice = $3 to $8
Rum + Coke = $8
Rum Punch = $13
Tea/Coffee = $6 and up
Most cocktails $12-$21 depending on the location.
Glass of Wine = $12 to $24 depending on the location
Glass of Champagne = $30-$45 depending on the location
Bottle of Wine = $60+
Bottle of Prosecco = $68+
Bottle of Champagne = $155+

Food ---
Starters $18-$45 depending on restaurant
Mains $45 to $100 generally, depending upon restaurant and what you order. Lobster for example will be around $100. Items such as platters for two can run up to $140
Desserts $15 to $25 depending upon restaurant and what you order

Fast Food
$10.95 can get you a KFC Munch Meal. Either two wings, fries and drink OR one piece, fries, biscuit and drink.
$15 can get you two pieces of chicken, fries, biscuit and a drink from Chefette or KFC.
$33 can get you a whole regular pizza from Chefette
Rotis range from $6.75 (Curried Potato) to $10.25 (All Chicken)

Casual Dining
Flying Fish Sandwich with Fries = $25-$35
Burgers = $26-$38
Spare Ribs Platter = $39.95
1/4 Chicken Platter = $29.95
1/2 Chicken Platter = $34.95
14oz Ribeye Platter = $41.95

Groceries
Bounty Paper Towel = $5.39 a roll
Essential Waitrose Toilet Paper - $8.75 (four pack)
Essential Waitrose Round Tea Bags = $4.79 (40)
Essential Waitrose Rich Roast Coffee = $11.59
Junior Loaf of Bread = $4.35
Block of Cheddar (250g) = $6.75
Wedge of Brie = $6.50 to $13 depending on the size of wedge
6 Eggs = $4.19
1 Litre of Ultra Pasteurised 2% Milk = $5.99
1 Litre of Fresh Whole Milk = $6.99
1 Litre of Juice = $5.29 to $6.29
Florida Natural Orange Juice = $14.89
Sliced Ham = $6.05
Bacon = $10.59 (200g) or $22.35 (454g)
Corned Beef = $4.95 (12oz tin)
Bananas = About $0.75 each
Oranges = Jamaican about $0.75 each, Florida/California about $1.40 each
English / Granny Smith Apples = About $1.20 each
Strawberries = $11.99 (1lb)
Blueberries = $13.99 per basket
Sodas (Coke, Sprite etc) = $1.85 (500ml)
Local Beers = $1.95 to $3.50 per bottle depending on the brand

All Prices BBD, divide by 2 for the US, divide by 2.50 for the £
Old Oct 1st 2018, 2:26 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Sunnie!! to add to this is the price to lease or hire a car you can be talking about the price of renting a home to get a car! Then there is health care to consider as dental and doctor appt are chargeable -just had dental treatment here cant believe how much it has gone up!
Old Oct 1st 2018, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

maxb1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am here since few weeks the price of food is “ expensive and the water in bts is expensive to
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 1:49 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

interesting MaxB1.. not sure what water in bottles you are buying.. but I purchased a 1.5l bottle of Highland Springs at a Gas station on Sunday.. it was 4.95bbd.. husband said he purchased it from Massy, I think and the same size bottle was less than 3.00.. a smaller bottle of water is usually around 2.00bbd.. .. things like Volic (which I prefer, when I buy bottle water, but often don't buy that), is more than some.. and of course Evian is even more. The local water is just fine to drink..

maybe you can list some of the prices you are paying for food.. I shop at Cost U less and Massy (warrens or Worthing) mostly.. and yes.. food prices are more expensive in some place and it does depend on the food you get. remember. the majority of what we have on the island is imported. and even grown locally, production costs are high..