Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Considering a job in Barbados...

Considering a job in Barbados...

Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

hooleybooley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering a job in Barbados...

I'm a UK citizen considering a job in Barbados (on a work permit) and I'd be grateful for a little advice before taking the plunge. The job sounds great, but...

My wife's a Canadian accountant (ex-PWC, auditor, resourceful 50 years old and intermittent recent employment), what's her chances of finding a job in Barbados? As the wife of a work permit holder would she be entitled to look for work?

We have a healthy 5 year old german shepherd dog complete with pet passport and all jabs up to date - could we bring him with us? He's a real cool dude but how would people react to him, would he be acceptable?

No fears otherwise, we've both done the ex-pat thing before and the other posts have pretty much answered my other questions.

Look forward to your replies, all the best, John
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Considering a job in Barbados...

Morning!

Originally Posted by hooleybooley View Post

My wife's a Canadian accountant (ex-PWC, auditor, resourceful 50 years old and intermittent recent employment), what's her chances of finding a job in Barbados? As the wife of a work permit holder would she be entitled to look for work?

In short, no she would not be able to work unless she too was offered a job from a company who would grant her a work permit...

We have a healthy 5 year old german shepherd dog complete with pet passport and all jabs up to date - could we bring him with us? He's a real cool dude but how would people react to him, would he be acceptable?

You should totally bring your dog with you, there are a lot of dogs on this Island, a lot of them not so well looked after. I have 5 (yes I know I used to have 4 but I had a moment of weakness Foxy, honest..!) and I do not tie mine up or keep them in little houses that are no bigger than rabbit hutches, I walk them everyday - to the amazement of most people around here but they are used to me now - and I live in hope of people following by example...

Sorry you started a rant

No fears otherwise, we've both done the ex-pat thing before and the other posts have pretty much answered my other questions.

Look forward to your replies, all the best, John
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Oh my replies are embedded in your question - maybe I need more rum/less rum/no rum...?!?!?!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks Shines...

More rum, but maybe a mixer too!!

Are there ex-pat accountants on work permits doing OK? Or very few?

It's August bank holiday in the West of Ireland and with the rain lashing down and the economy in tatters I'm thinking we've got to move on...

Any advice is greatly appreciated (except about wet gear) and keep d copa libres flowing!

John
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:35 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

It's Kadooment (like Carnival) Bank holiday here today as well.

Re what shines has said. Your wife would not be able to work without a work permit. But she can always apply and see what happens. there are ex-pat accountants on the island, but I'm sorry, I can't help with how they are doing. There are some ex-pats in the finance field that are being "let go" from their eimployers..and some that are being asked to go onto "local's terms. so no more huge living expense packages.. or schools being paid for etc...

I'm sorry I can't help with the dog situation.. I have one, but have never tried to import one.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks Sunnie

Looks like we should just go and see and play it by ear. Have a good holiday.

John
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

LOL Shines!!! One can never have too many dogs, apparently teasing

Just back online after a weekend away... I'll catch up soon enough.