Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Confusion about Bajan birth certificate.

Confusion about Bajan birth certificate.

Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

ukbajan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion about Bajan birth certificate.

Hi everyone.
Just a quick question:
On my late father's birth certificate (I have the original) it doesn't state my fathers name anywhere. Just the names of my grandparents with my grandfathers signature and occupation, plus of course the date of my father's birth and when the certificate was issued. There is a number at the top which I'm assuming refers to Bajan birth records but I found it strange my father's name wasn't on there at all. Is this the norm?

Thanks
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Confusion about Bajan birth certificate.

let me get out my husbands-- hold on...
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Okay my husband's (from 1955) doesn't have his name either. At the top it says District___, Vol.___, Page___. Then in the 1st box below that it says Number___. There is a strike through the Name (If Any). This was issued in 1973.

We also have a modern Birth Certificate for my husband that was issued in 1999. But now that I think about it it seems to make sense that the name wouldn't have been indicated until the Baptism took place. Therefore the emphasis on the Baptismal Certificate, now I get it...

Hope that this helps, you may need a more modern certificate if you don't have the Baptism.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

zanne thanks so much. Yes this was issued in 1936 (it even has attached the receipt of the amount paid by my grandfather for it).
Has exactly what you stated zanne.

I will ask at the embassy next week about the baptism cert if they need that. I wouldn't know the first way to get it to be honest and I'm not wholly sure my father was ever in possession of it. If he was it was not with his paperwork along with everything else - I will double check .

Cheers.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't see any reference on the Baptismal Certificate to the No.'s on the Birth Certificate.

The more recent Birth Certificate was requested at the High Commission in NYC and sent there from here, so that's possible...
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:46 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

That is interesting.. my children's birth certificates (1996 / 1997 and 2002) all have their names then mine and my husbands. (I don't have it in front of me right now, but have looked at them recently).

If you need someone here to try to get a copy of it here, I don't have a problem going into town.. I don't think they ask for any kind of ID.. and it's only 5.00bbd..

just let me know

Sunniebgi.

I'm sure my husband just got a recent copy of his as well, from 1962 and it has his name it as well.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zanne
I don't see any reference on the Baptismal Certificate to the No.'s on the Birth Certificate.

The more recent Birth Certificate was requested at the High Commission in NYC and sent there from here, so that's possible...
Thanks for clarifying that zanne. I'm sure the embassy in London would know also the whys and wherefores. I must admit the fact they don't tally has me a little confused. It may be a case of me getting an up to date cert.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
That is interesting.. my children's birth certificates (1996 / 1997 and 2002) all have their names then mine and my husbands. (I don't have it in front of me right now, but have looked at them recently).

If you need someone here to try to get a copy of it here, I don't have a problem going into town.. I don't think they ask for any kind of ID.. and it's only 5.00bbd..

just let me know

Sunniebgi.

I'm sure my husband just got a recent copy of his as well, from 1962 and it has his name it as well.
Thanks sunniebgi - I'm going to ask the embassy here to clarify. Thank you for your kind offer to go down town however I'd send my brother for it if needs be.
I must admit the whole thing has confused me somewhat.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

birthdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukbajan
Thanks sunniebgi - I'm going to ask the embassy here to clarify. Thank you for your kind offer to go down town however I'd send my brother for it if needs be.
I must admit the whole thing has confused me somewhat.
Hi Ukbajan, I had the same issue when I was applying for citizenship, my fathers name not being on the certificate, however, I got a family member in barbados to get an up to date certificate with his name on it. If you have someone in barbados they can go to the department who issue birth certificates by given your father details or sending his old certificate, the British high commission for barbados advised me this was the only thing I could do without having my father's baptism certificate. Because my father was over 60 the certificate was only either a $1 or free it is a relatively simple process. I hope this helps. Birthdaygirl.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by birthdaygirl
Hi Ukbajan, I had the same issue when I was applying for citizenship, my fathers name not being on the certificate, however, I got a family member in barbados to get an up to date certificate with his name on it. If you have someone in barbados they can go to the department who issue birth certificates by given your father details or sending his old certificate, the British high commission for barbados advised me this was the only thing I could do without having my father's baptism certificate. Because my father was over 60 the certificate was only either a $1 or free it is a relatively simple process. I hope this helps. Birthdaygirl.
Thanks for clarifying birthdaygirl I have plenty of family who can go and get it for me so it's good to know it's a painless process.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:22 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukbajan
Thanks for clarifying birthdaygirl I have plenty of family who can go and get it for me so it's good to know it's a painless process.
painless except that .. you go to the Central Police Station, Courts Section.. fill out a form.. take it to the accounts office (on the same compound), take your reciept and the original form back to the clerks office, hand it in.. they take the form and stamp it.. and then you have to leave and come back the next afternoon after a certain time.. to collect the new birth certificate.. I can't even remember if I even showed any ID (probably but don't remember)

That is the process.. I paid 5.00 for a redo of the oldest daughter birthcertificate (as we had lost the originaln with the raised seal, but had copies)

But it really is likely the easiest thing to actually get through the government..sooo..
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
painless except that .. you go to the Central Police Station, Courts Section.. fill out a form.. take it to the accounts office (on the same compound), take your reciept and the original form back to the clerks office, hand it in.. they take the form and stamp it.. and then you have to leave and come back the next afternoon after a certain time.. to collect the new birth certificate.. I can't even remember if I even showed any ID (probably but don't remember)

That is the process.. I paid 5.00 for a redo of the oldest daughter birthcertificate (as we had lost the originaln with the raised seal, but had copies)

But it really is likely the easiest thing to actually get through the government..sooo..

...and don't forget to be properly dressed as they now have a similar dress code policy as Immigration do and will not let you through the gates if, for example, your shirt is untucked or you have too much flesh showing.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sunniebgi - it's good to know that - a bit of a to-do as we say but needs must.

Shines, that's also good to know. Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by shines
...and don't forget to be properly dressed as they now have a similar dress code policy as Immigration do and will not let you through the gates if, for example, your shirt is untucked or you have too much flesh showing.

Thats the funny part.. I've been going into the Central Police station since early last year for a temporary liquor license (long story).. I don't really pay attention to what I wear but I, of course, am going to dress in what I feel is appropriate.. nice shirt, pants or skirt, shoes etc.. (I don't dress up but neither to I go in T-shirts and cutoffs.).

so that morning (going to get the birth certificate), I park at the lower bay street parking lot (where I park when I go to B'town), and walk to Central (across town).. in my knee length shorts, my collered shirt that has no sleeves (it's too hot for sleeves), and my crocks (for comfort in the walking).. I go through the gate at central.. no problem.. I find the door I need (finally).. and then see the sign on the door.. but if you think i'm turning around because the thing says no shorts, you have to be mad.. I proceed to the counter (notice another white women sitting there in closer-to-the-body-then-mine knee length bermudas) take care of my business.. walk out the door.. head to the accounts.. pay my money.. go back to the clerks office.. finish up there.. and walk out the front gates.. No one stopped me.. know one said anything.. (got a few stares but.. you know what.. I walked around like I knew what I was doing.. got it done and left)..

But still.. be mindfull of what you wear...
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

I think it depends who is on duty at the gate (as often is the case...) When I went last time they stopped a lady for having a sleeveless top on...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.