Computer equipment

Old Jan 25th 2021, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Barbs11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Computer equipment

Hello all

My partner and I are looking at moving to Barbados on the 12 month welcome stamp.

Does anyone know whether a UK computer monitor would work in Barbados? I’m in two mins whether to bring mine with me.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a local store etc where I could order a monitor for delivery before I arrive?

Many thanks
Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:14 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer equipment

You need to read the power input requirements of the device - actually of any device you might want to take. Barbados uses the 110 american voltage.

If there is a 'brick' power supply - a box in the line, its normally written on the brick, if its just a uk power lead, it MAY be written on the back of the device or you will have to find its manual and check.

It will say something like - INPUT 220-240 VOLTS - no it wont work or INPUT 100-250 VOLTS - it should. You'll probably need a magnifying glass.

Typically laptops and battery chargers for phones/cameras will, desktops might and some even have a switch 120 or 220, anything that heats or gets hot typically will not [anything that uses a lot of power] so dont even think of a kettle or hairdryer.

If needed you can usually buy US power supplies for anything on amazon.com, this is niche but useful - eg battery powered drill chargers rarely allow dual voltage because they are often smart and high power usage, but the drills are much cheaper in the uk, but need to get the transformer in the us.

Be aware that cables need to be twice as thick as the uk too for 110 volts, simply changing the plug is fine for something that says its going to work 100-250 volts but usually its easier to get an adapter, otherwise its potentially dangerous.

If you simply MUST have some 220 - 240 volt device, you can get a 110 to 240 volt transformer in the uk but torroidal/doughnut types are much more efficient than so called EI types. Sizing those is another job.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Check the labels on any electrical equipment you think you want to bring. Modern computer equipment will generally work with no issues. Other types of devices won't.

Buying computer equipment in Barbados is very easy but prices might not be what you would expect.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 7:18 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Never assume its going to work - check... Assuming can actually be dangerous, you'd think plugging something in at half voltage would just not work, well its true with an old school bulb, but it can actually damage just like overvoltage as power supply components and cooling fans can become confused.

You'll also probably have to buy some 110 volt usb supplies - as the original 1 in and 1 out will probably be 100-250 but the adapters you buy from stores like ikea are definitely not...
Old Jan 26th 2021, 1:25 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Outstanding info and input!!!...
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:45 am
Good day

bs_wave is an unknown quantity at this point

When you are on the island, you can visit Promotech at Sheraton Mall if you need to buy equipment, including desks or office chairs.