British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Citizenship through marriage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/citizenship-through-marriage-912767/)

Daffney Aug 7th 2018 5:58 pm

Re: Citizenship through marriage

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12499376)
Just read it, ive heard before that bajans are quite stratified into races/social classes and dont mix much. Looks they really dont seem to like incomers either.

Here i got a medical from my uk gp, and a police record check, filled in some forms and paid about 200 us. I asked how long and was told 2-3 weeks, because the PM has to sign the certificate and he’s not around for a bit.

They called, i got it, and took it to the passport people, 3 days later - tada - passport...

People complain about services here but i find it efficient - compared with the uk... They collect rubbish every other day, i once called the power co on Sunday pm to say my street light was out, just reporting it. They were out that evening at 9pm replacing it.

Out of curiosity, is it the same in Grenada it terms of not mixing too much between classes and race?

uk_grenada Aug 7th 2018 6:03 pm

Classes dont mix much sometimes, but races and nationalities do.

Of course there are exceptions, people who are into racial purity and people who inherently prefer lighter skins [this isnt that uncommon] but people mix freely socially and theres no trouble on that account.

Daffney Aug 7th 2018 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Future_1 (Post 12500139)
Thank you satellite-ian, I have just come across your previous post I am extremely grateful for all your information you have posted :)

I'm planning on doing it in Bim as I'm going back down in July.

Thank you again

Have you made any progress on the application for citizenship? I am looking at going through the process myself in a few months so just wanted to know how it's going for you.

Daffney Aug 7th 2018 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12544599)
Classes dont mix much sometimes, but races and nationalities do.

Of course there are exceptions, people who are into racial purity and people who inherently prefer lighter skins [this isnt that uncommon] but people mix freely socially and theres no trouble on that account.

Ah okay.

Future_1 Aug 27th 2018 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Daffney (Post 12544600)
Have you made any progress on the application for citizenship? I am looking at going through the process myself in a few months so just wanted to know how it's going for you.

Sorry for my late reply Daffney
Unfortunately, I was unable to apply as it was confirmed I need to married for 3 years so I will have to apply next year.

Wishing you all the best with your application, I'll be looking out for your updates :)

Daffney Aug 27th 2018 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Future_1 (Post 12554996)
Sorry for my late reply Daffney
Unfortunately, I was unable to apply as it was confirmed I need to married for 3 years so I will have to apply next year.

Wishing you all the best with your application, I'll be looking out for your updates :)

Future_1
When you went to Barbados they told you at immigration that you have to be married for 3 years? That is surprising I hope that's not the case as that means I won't be able to apply until 2021!

satellite_ian Aug 27th 2018 9:09 pm

i started the process within days of marrying my wife.. that was in 2011..

Sunniebgi Aug 27th 2018 9:17 pm

I find that odd as well... nothing online shows anything about having to wait 3 years. Maybe a phone call to Immigration would help. I'll see if I can do that... just to ask a question.

Daffney Aug 27th 2018 9:44 pm

When I spoke to the Barbados embassy in London the lady said you have to be married for 3 years first to apply for citizenship but coming to live in Barbados should have be a different process. I tried calling Barbados immigration but the receptionist kept putting me through to extentions where no one answered. I think the process should be as Ian said but I wonder what happened when Future_1 went to Barbados this year. It seems strange to me.