Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Citizenship through marriage

Citizenship through marriage

Old Aug 7th 2018, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Daffney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship through marriage

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Just read it, ive heard before that bajans are quite stratified into races/social classes and dont mix much. Looks they really dont seem to like incomers either.

Here i got a medical from my uk gp, and a police record check, filled in some forms and paid about 200 us. I asked how long and was told 2-3 weeks, because the PM has to sign the certificate and he’s not around for a bit.

They called, i got it, and took it to the passport people, 3 days later - tada - passport...

People complain about services here but i find it efficient - compared with the uk... They collect rubbish every other day, i once called the power co on Sunday pm to say my street light was out, just reporting it. They were out that evening at 9pm replacing it.

Out of curiosity, is it the same in Grenada it terms of not mixing too much between classes and race?
Old Aug 7th 2018, 6:03 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Classes dont mix much sometimes, but races and nationalities do.

Of course there are exceptions, people who are into racial purity and people who inherently prefer lighter skins [this isnt that uncommon] but people mix freely socially and theres no trouble on that account.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Future_1
Thank you satellite-ian, I have just come across your previous post I am extremely grateful for all your information you have posted

I'm planning on doing it in Bim as I'm going back down in July.

Thank you again
Have you made any progress on the application for citizenship? I am looking at going through the process myself in a few months so just wanted to know how it's going for you.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Classes dont mix much sometimes, but races and nationalities do.

Of course there are exceptions, people who are into racial purity and people who inherently prefer lighter skins [this isnt that uncommon] but people mix freely socially and theres no trouble on that account.
Ah okay.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Future_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Citizenship through marriage

Originally Posted by Daffney
Have you made any progress on the application for citizenship? I am looking at going through the process myself in a few months so just wanted to know how it's going for you.
Sorry for my late reply Daffney
Unfortunately, I was unable to apply as it was confirmed I need to married for 3 years so I will have to apply next year.

Wishing you all the best with your application, I'll be looking out for your updates
Old Aug 27th 2018, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Future_1
Sorry for my late reply Daffney
Unfortunately, I was unable to apply as it was confirmed I need to married for 3 years so I will have to apply next year.

Wishing you all the best with your application, I'll be looking out for your updates
Future_1
When you went to Barbados they told you at immigration that you have to be married for 3 years? That is surprising I hope that's not the case as that means I won't be able to apply until 2021!
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

i started the process within days of marrying my wife.. that was in 2011..
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:17 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I find that odd as well... nothing online shows anything about having to wait 3 years. Maybe a phone call to Immigration would help. I'll see if I can do that... just to ask a question.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

When I spoke to the Barbados embassy in London the lady said you have to be married for 3 years first to apply for citizenship but coming to live in Barbados should have be a different process. I tried calling Barbados immigration but the receptionist kept putting me through to extentions where no one answered. I think the process should be as Ian said but I wonder what happened when Future_1 went to Barbados this year. It seems strange to me.