Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Citizenship through marriage

Citizenship through marriage

Old May 14th 2018, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Future_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship through marriage

Good Afternoon

Can anyone confirm this information for me please I called the Barbados embassy in London in regards to applying for citizenship through marriage, I only enquired on if it was best to apply in the UK or Bim and I was informed I have to be married for 3 years to apply.

I'm wondering if anyone is able to offer me any advice, I have tried looking online for this answer and have not found this information anywhere.

Thank you
Future_1

Last edited by Future_1; May 14th 2018 at 4:09 pm.
Old May 14th 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship through marriage

Google gave me this link:
https://www.quora.com/If-a-man-is-ma...or-citizenship
Google is your friend!
Old May 14th 2018, 5:42 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Just read it, ive heard before that bajans are quite stratified into races/social classes and dont mix much. Looks they really dont seem to like incomers either.

Here i got a medical from my uk gp, and a police record check, filled in some forms and paid about 200 us. I asked how long and was told 2-3 weeks, because the PM has to sign the certificate and he’s not around for a bit.

They called, i got it, and took it to the passport people, 3 days later - tada - passport...

People complain about services here but i find it efficient - compared with the uk... They collect rubbish every other day, i once called the power co on Sunday pm to say my street light was out, just reporting it. They were out that evening at 9pm replacing it.
Old May 14th 2018, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Thank you uk-grenada, I will take all my documents down to Bim and take it from there
Old May 14th 2018, 8:37 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

UK Grenada I am looking for somewhere to come write my second book - somewhere different from Bim so I am definitely considering Grenada as it will be a for a few months. Looking for a place to rent with a pool but Airbnb is not showing up much choice...sorry its way off topic I should start my own thread lol but just saw your comments on how easy the paperwork is in Grenada
Old May 14th 2018, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

I started the process immediately after my marriage.. In total the process currently takes about 5 years... It isn't complicated.. but does involve a number of trips to the Immigration Dept to get visa extensions, submit documents and, of course, pay fees..

I did it all in Bim.. no idea what happens if you do it in the UK... if you want more details I can give them... I have posted the whole process somewhere else on this forum before.. so it is already out there....
Old May 15th 2018, 6:21 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
UK Grenada I am looking for somewhere to come write my second book - somewhere different from Bim so I am definitely considering Grenada as it will be a for a few months. Looking for a place to rent with a pool but Airbnb is not showing up much choice...sorry its way off topic I should start my own thread lol but just saw your comments on how easy the paperwork is in Grenada
You just come as a tourist and extend your visa monthly for a few ec. Plenty of canadians snowbirds do it for anything up to a year. So long as you have funds and an address they are ok to do that.

Grenada isnt necessary cheap to rent, as lots of med students rent by the year round st georges and pay 1000 us a month for a rabbit hutch. Airbnb and its competitors is used for holiday rentals mainly. For longer term firstly check out bouganvillea apts, behind grand anse, their serviced apts are used by many relatives visiting, good rates and the position will allow you to not need to rent a car all the time [near mall and on bus route]. If you want to do it yourself look at terra and remax realtors but you will be into 3 months payment up front.
Old May 15th 2018, 6:25 am

NB a villa with pool round st georges would tend to be in the holiday market - is say 1500-2500 us a week... In the countryside you might get an apt with shared pool on a long rental for say 50us a night, but you would require a car at say 50 a day..
Old May 15th 2018, 3:25 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.immigration.gov.bb/pages/Citizenship.aspx

http://www.immigration.gov.bb/documents/Form%20R1.pdf

I can't say that I know the amount of years you have to wait has changed.. when I applied for this 25 plus years ago, I applied right after we got married and had my citizenship in 2 months. remember I said.. 25 plus years ago. (there are restriction in most countries as the legality of marriage and require a wait time before permanent residency is given for a period of time.. .. The US , you can apply with in the first 2 years, but you must reapply at the 2 year period.. if you wait till after 2 years, you get a green card for 10 years.) and to say.. we have people who come here, get married so they can live here. get the citizenship and get divorced all in a short span of time.. so.. it wouldn't surprise me if they did add a year restriction..

I know the wait time is longer. and yes.. 5 years is about right. . You would/should be granted a Reside and work, and I was under the impression this was renewable (not that you lose it and become a visitor again that's silly).

let me say.. Life under this government for the last 10 years.. has been difficult for anyone doing anything regarding immigration. period. who knows what will happen after 24 May, when the Elections are to be held. Hopefully life gets a bit Better.. (would be nice, wouldn't it Serendipity)

Whatever you do and where ever you decide to apply. make sure every single document is correct.. All the names, dates, etc etc.. or you will be waiting a heck of lot longer than 5 years..
Old May 15th 2018, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Thank you satellite-ian, I have just come across your previous post I am extremely grateful for all your information you have posted

I'm planning on doing it in Bim as I'm going back down in July.

Thank you again
Old May 15th 2018, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Whatever you do and where ever you decide to apply. make sure every single document is correct.. All the names, dates, etc etc.. or you will be waiting a heck of lot longer than 5 years..[/QUOTE]

Thank you SunniebgiI I have printed the link pages you have provided, I guess I better start getting to putting this paperwork in order as there is a misspelling on my passport

Thank you for all your help
Old May 15th 2018, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Np Future... feel free to PM me if you think I can be of any more help....
Old May 16th 2018, 6:56 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
NB a villa with pool round st georges would tend to be in the holiday market - is say 1500-2500 us a week... In the countryside you might get an apt with shared pool on a long rental for say 50us a night, but you would require a car at say 50 a day..
Thanks for the advice - med students does it have a training hospital there?

Wow those prices are high compared to Barbados. I need somewhere fresh to get my creative juices running but that sounds pricey I know this is off topic for thread but maybe PMs will be better?
Old May 16th 2018, 7:56 pm

St Georges university is a medical and vetinary training facility, hundreds of medics and vers a year go there, very expensive for them -,50k/term ish.
Old May 16th 2018, 8:01 pm

Villas are expensive in the prime tourist areas and are probably too big for you. Few exist, most people who stay longer term get an apt or live in the countryside, check out bouganvillea apts behind grand anse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.