Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Eligibility Question

Citizenship Eligibility Question

Old Apr 25th 2019, 7:09 am
Just Joined

CoopSup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship Eligibility Question

I am hoping to get clear information on the potential for Barbados and or UK/British citizenship eligibility. I believe because my father is US citizenship that I am out of luck, but wanted to confirm, as it seems the rules have changed over time.

So my mother was born/raised Barbados citizen (before independence). Married my father (US citizen) in Barbados - Father was US Navy stationed at the old Navy Base (before independence).
I was born (after independence) in the in the US after they moved back. They are now divorced (while I was still a minor). Mother did get US citizenship, so now holds dual citizenship.

Do I have any claim to citizenship/residency in Barbados, UK, or Britain? I am interested as am looking to move to Europe, and many jobs ask if I have the "right to work" in the UK.

Old Apr 25th 2019, 8:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Eligibility Question

Originally Posted by CoopSup View Post
I am hoping to get clear information on the potential for Barbados and or UK/British citizenship eligibility. I believe because my father is US citizenship that I am out of luck, but wanted to confirm, as it seems the rules have changed over time.

So my mother was born/raised Barbados citizen (before independence). Married my father (US citizen) in Barbados - Father was US Navy stationed at the old Navy Base (before independence).
I was born (after independence) in the in the US after they moved back. They are now divorced (while I was still a minor). Mother did get US citizenship, so now holds dual citizenship.

Do I have any claim to citizenship/residency in Barbados, UK, or Britain? I am interested as am looking to move to Europe, and many jobs ask if I have the "right to work" in the UK.
Hi, welcome to BE.

For the UK citizenship side of things, please post again with the relevant info in our Moving Back to the UK citizenship sub forum, where the pros there will be able to help.

Good luck.
Old May 1st 2019, 2:17 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Re Barbados. As you mother was a Barbados Citizen, you should be able to apply for citizenship by decent (it doesn't matter if both are not.. or it should)..

I can't answer the UK question.. I don't believe my Barbados Born before independence husband can hold UK Citizenship based on when he was born.. but.. I have no idea.. (he actually says he can't..so.. I would assume that you don't have right to UK Citizenship through you Barbados Born Mother...but still ask the question)..
Old May 7th 2019, 4:14 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I am wondering how Barbadian Citizenship and UK Citizenship are related? If this was the case then all Bajans would have the rights to reside and work in the UK but they do not. Is your question regarding your Barbadian Citizenship by descent on your mothers side?
Old May 8th 2019, 10:35 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a historical relationship. When 25% of the dry land of the globe was pink on the map [the british owned bit] britain had various classes of british citizenship. Its complicated and there are important dates when things changed and different rights but things like ‘citizen of a british colony’ usually didnt give any rights to work or live unlimited periods in the uk. Many million indians can attest to that.
Old May 8th 2019, 11:32 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
Theres a historical relationship. When 25% of the dry land of the globe was pink on the map [the british owned bit] britain had various classes of british citizenship. Its complicated and there are important dates when things changed and different rights but things like ‘citizen of a british colony’ usually didnt give any rights to work or live unlimited periods in the uk. Many million indians can attest to that.
ok..... I shall just wait for Brit in Paris to return with experience.....
with
Old May 8th 2019, 1:10 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

As already said by christmasoompaloompa - if the OP wants info on british citizenship specifically they need to post in the relevant forum, i dont think people like brit in paris would necessarily spot something in this backwater. Citizenship by descent of mother or father is certainly on in the caribbean, but its best to realise those rights are not transferrable normally to a child of the child of the citizen.
Old May 8th 2019, 1:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure we’ve already covered this elsewhere. Unless there’s a UK connection then there’s no claim to British citizenship.
Old May 9th 2019, 3:13 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

if Bajans had access to British citizenship before 1966, my husband would have it.. but he says he doesn't.. (born in 1962.. and family members much older than him..).. they were able to move around to other commonwealth countries .. . 2 in canada, 4 in New Zealand and 4 in Barbados.. and 1 in the US (not a commonwealth but..has lived there for many years.. and is the connection as to how I met my husband) ..

So.. I'd say.. the original poster would only be interested in Barbados citizenship... which isn't going to help in living and working in Europe.. (and at the moment.. think Brexit.... having UK citizenship may not either..)