Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Citizenship by descent - Adopted

Citizenship by descent - Adopted

Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:07 am
Just Joined

rxsjb013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Citizenship by descent - Adopted

Hello,

My mother was adopted to barbados from birth many years ago (in fact, she was the 2nd person ever to be adopted to the island) and she has citizenship.

As her son, I am applying for citizenship by descent and would like to know if anyone has had experience with this process for an adopted parent?

Technically she does not have a Barbados birth certificate, but instead a Barbados adoption certificate (this was viewed as the same type of document for the purposes of getting her passport renewed in the past).

Thank you for any information you may have on this topic

Last edited by rxsjb013; Feb 7th 2011 at 8:27 am.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:59 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship by descent - Adopted

I would strongly encourage you to talk with someone at the Immigration office in Barbados or go through the Embassy where you live.

I would guess the process would be similar to someone who's parent was actually born in Barbados and has a birth Certificate but replace that with the adoption certificate.

I actually know someone who has had an issue recently with an adoption certificate, but it seems to work out.. this was about 2 years ago, so I'll have to ask her about it.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:12 am
Just Joined

rxsjb013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship by descent - Adopted

Okay, thank you very much.