British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/citizenship-521321/)

zanne Mar 13th 2008 1:31 am

Citizenship

Hi, for those of you that know me/ know my citizenship plight, well...I finally got it!!! I only have to go back to the 2nd floor at Immigration to pick up my certificate!!!

Stephanie_77 Mar 13th 2008 9:52 am

Re: Citizenship

Congratulations honey!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: About time too!

Rumswizz Mar 13th 2008 2:53 pm

Zanne - about time too! LOL Congrats..............only wish we never had to go to that lovely building ever again! :)

RS

Originally Posted by zanne (Post 6055794)
Hi, for those of you that know me/ know my citizenship plight, well...I finally got it!!! I only have to go back to the 2nd floor at Immigration to pick up my certificate!!!

Sunniebgi Mar 13th 2008 4:37 pm

Congrats Zanne, and welcome to the club. How long did it take you again (not that we really want to bring that up). Mine was 15 1/2 years ago, and didn't take too long.. but..

I made a copy of mine, keep the original in a safe place, and travel with the copy with my other passport (so I have no problem getting back into Barbados).

zanne Mar 13th 2008 4:41 pm

Almost 19 months...the time was really not a big deal because we had assumed a minimum of 2 years, it was really the run around that gave me a headache!!!

shines Mar 13th 2008 7:53 pm

Yay - well done...! One last trip to the lovely building for you.

Sunniebgi Mar 13th 2008 11:35 pm

Well I can fortunately say it was only 2mths for me, but that was almost 16years ago. and I was living in the US, so my hubby and his brother did most of the legwork. My problem was I was still working in the US, trying to get a transfer to the same company in Barbados, but couldn't . Long story, but just say.. I had to apply for an international transfer, which I couldn't get unless I had a work permit (which the local company here wouldn't do for anyone) or get citizenship, which I couldn't get without getting married.. So I applied for the job transfer in July (just to get my application in), got married in September, got my citizenship the same week/weekend as US Thanksgiving and Barbados Independence at the end of November. Got the transfer within a few days, went to job training in the US for 2 weeks and moved to Barbados December 17th, 1992. and have been here since then.

but as I said.. that was then.. and they don't do things that quickly any more.. (I think I may have also had some insider help to push it along as my brother in law had a friend at immigration at that time.. soooo)