British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Childcare costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/childcare-costs-613110/)

afish Jun 5th 2009 11:03 am

Childcare costs

Hello

Can anyone help me. I'm trying to understand what monthly childcare costs might be in Barbados. When I move here my son will be 10 months old.

Just trying to sort out the budget! If anyone can help I'd be most grateful. Can't afford a live-in nanny so a day care/nursery school would be what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much!

shines Jun 5th 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Childcare costs

You can get a daily maid for about $50 a day so I hear, childcare for a 10 month old will be difficult otherwise.

There are decent pre schools I know about but they start from 2 - 2 1/2.

There are nurseries for younger children but I have not heard of any that you would/could compare to similar in the US/UK. They are mainly for working locals on the lower end of the wage scale and don't offer a lot.

My friend in the,village has to put her son in one whilst she works and he is basically in a playpen on his own all day.

Maybe others have other info on better nurseries though....

zanne Jun 5th 2009 4:10 pm

My son (he's 4) goes to an aftercare in Belleville that has infants and yes it is local but they do an excellent job. I can send you the info if need be.

shines Jun 5th 2009 4:13 pm

ahh cool, I think there are probably lots more options in the South tbh than what we have up in the wilds of the North...

I generally leave mine in the yard with the dogs :D

birthdaygirl Jun 5th 2009 8:03 pm

My son went to Day Stars on Maxwell main road, he was 2 and half years old when he attended for 6 months I was extremely happy with their interaction with my son and the preschool curriculum, however, it maybe different for a baby but it might be worth a look, I know they take babies. it was approximately $1000 bajan a term it was extremely cheap in comparison to British nurseries. My son is 4 now and still talks of his time at daystars and when we recently visited Barbados he pointed it out and wanted to visit.

It's worthwhile looking at a few as my son went to another one that my husband found whilst i was in England I was horrified and removed him immediately.

Do remember looks are not everything, it's staffs interaction and care of the children that is most important.

afish Jun 6th 2009 1:37 am

Thanks everyone, we'll be living in St James and working in Warrens so any tips for a place up there. Someone mentioned the Montessori day care - does anyone have any experience of it?

Sunniebgi Jun 7th 2009 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by afish (Post 7638932)
Thanks everyone, we'll be living in St James and working in Warrens so any tips for a place up there. Someone mentioned the Montessori day care - does anyone have any experience of it?

Montessori is an option on the island, but I don't believe they start until age 2 or 2 1/2. They are also not as expensive as in other places around the world (they haven't figured out that they are well worth it). You have to be careful, however, that some will say, Montessori type, and not be trained.

There used to be a day care (not sure the starting age) in Warrens Crescent just off highway 2A from the main Warrens complex area, but not sure if it's still open.

There is Sunshine Nursery and preschool and Mrs Padmores in the Prior Park area. Sorry, I don't have numbers or e-mail info for either.