Cayman or Barbados

Old Sep 21st 2015, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

HamSandwich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cayman or Barbados

Hello everyone!

I'm just looking for some words of wisdom. I relocated to Grand Cayman from the UK at the start of the year and I'm starting to getting settled used to the lifestyle here.

The company I work for have recently asked if I fancy moving to Barbados to head up an office for them there. This would mean packing up and starting all over again.

At this moment in time, my heart is telling me to stay here however I've never been to Barbados and it is potentially a good opportunity.

Has anyone lived on both islands and can perhaps provide their opinion on the pros and cons of each? I appreciate that the tax status is a big plus for Cayman but I would hope that the difference would be reflected in the package offered to me by my employer.

Thanks!
Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cayman or Barbados

Remember that the Bajan Dollar is worth 50 cents US, and 42 cents CI.

As a general statement, being #1 is always better than being #2, in my experience and observation.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Moving by yourself not a big issue, if any family or school going kids are involved well......

Cayman, close to USA, Jamaica, and in the hurricane belt
Barbados, only 8 hours to the UK, 4 hours to Miami, and 12 hours to Cayman, no hurricane since 1952

Are they asking for a temporary move or permanent?
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

HamSandwich is an unknown quantity at this point

It would just be myself and my wife - no kids (yet!) I'm not really sure what length of time they anticipate me being over there. I have no experience of starting a business however I assume it would take at least a couple of years to become established. I would have probably moved to Barbados from the UK from the outset but now I'm here in Cayman, I don't particularly want to relocate again. I probably need to visit Barbados for a week or so before making any decisions..

Last edited by HamSandwich; Sep 22nd 2015 at 6:13 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep sounds good, go together for a week. Set up some meetings with tax advisors, tour the island, see some houses. After that it all depends on the (relocation) package offered.

Still moving within a year takes a bit of extra effort....let us know how things move forward😁😁
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 3:58 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if you list what is important to you we can score it...I have only visited Cayman not lived there but Gordon could score there and we could score for Barbados..there are highs and lows for Barbados but it all depends on what you want for your lifestyle
Old Sep 27th 2015, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

PrincessBananaHamock is an unknown quantity at this point

Barbados is my second island in the Carribean to live on and I love it. I can't tell you how easy it is compared to other islands and there are loads of things to do.
The produce in the supermarkets is excellent as well as local markets. I have continous government water that's drinkable and rarely a power cut. I can pay my utility bills in one place in a matter of minutes. Post gets delivered to my house.
I was told by a number of People of people before I came here that Barbados was the easiest to live on so far I've found this to be true.
My husband visits many islands with his Job and sees a lot of things he says BIM has so much compared to others.
If you are seriously considering it I don't think you'd regret it you will hear it's expensive to live but show me an island in the Carribean that isn't?
Old Oct 15th 2015, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

BarbadosEntrepreneur is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with PrincessBananaHamock. I am from Barbados, born and bred here as they said but I have visited many countries especially the Caribbean and show me one that is not expensive. They all have their draw backs. Barbados is very convenient for getting things done quickly but I must admit that sometimes the customer service sucks (they can get rather laid back).

I worked in many organisations here and operated several businesses and compare to some other islands I find that it can be hassle free. Barbados is very develop and somethings when I travel to other islands I yearn to be home. Although when I am home I lead a very boring lifestyle. Its either work or church for me but there is lots to do and places to go but I guess when you live in places you tend to get complacence. I am surround by water and cannot even swim..lol.

Currently I operate a Personal Tour Guiding Service and in the process of opening a small souvenir shop and Local Information Desk that can assist visitors like yourself.

What I will tell you is go with your gut feeling, I only been to Cayman for few days so I am no expert in choosing but I do suggest that you do come to Barbados for a week or so, you surely will not regret it.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 12:08 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

BarbadosEntreprenuer.. be very careful what you write on here.. while you are expressing interest in what these Ex-pats are looking for, you are also advertising.. which is not allowed.. just wanted to let you know..
Old Oct 16th 2015, 12:12 am
Just Joined

BarbadosEntrepreneur is an unknown quantity at this point

Noted with thanks Sunniebgi
Old Oct 16th 2015, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The big drawback of living in Cayman - as the OP will have discovered - is that the Immigration Department is extremely anti-expat and unwelcoming. Barbados is probably much better, in that respect. Cayman's greatest advantage is that the money is excellent. Also, two thirds of our population is foreign-born, so you might miss the wide variety of cultures if you moved to Barbados.

Good luck to you, whichever you choose!
Old Oct 16th 2015, 8:50 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The big drawback of living in Cayman - as the OP will have discovered - is that the Immigration Department is extremely anti-expat and unwelcoming. Barbados is probably much better, in that respect. Cayman's greatest advantage is that the money is excellent. Also, two thirds of our population is foreign-born, so you might miss the wide variety of cultures if you moved to Barbados.

Good luck to you, whichever you choose!
Wow I am suprised to hear that Gordon seeing as Cayman has positioned itself to attract those wanting to live outside the rat race and i thought the foreign investment was what has made Cayman the thriving hub that it is...unfortunately i would like to say it is different in Barbados but since Owen Arthur's government (who were very pro foreign investment and as a result Barbados has some of the best highways, schooling and other qualitys which make life in Barbados "richer" than most other islands) was outsted (I think 2006) the incumbent government has a very different approach..I myself was caught up in the back lash of wanting foreigners out..I wont get into my rant about how inward thinking the current government are and how it is affecting the economy and as a result the livelihoods of the average bajan but as an expat if you want to invest/live/build etc in Barbados prepared to be tolerated at best
Old Oct 16th 2015, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

I could be wrong but I heard as an expat working in the Cayman you can only stay up to 9 years and that's with an extension. I know of people who have worked there bought houses then left when their extension was not granted.
I've never been to the Cayman Islands but I know people who lived there and loved it.
As I said earlier I think Barbados is very easy to live on compared to some other Islands but it's different to my last island that was very Caribbean. I realize that sounds crazy but before I left my last island everyone was telling me how British BIM is. I didn't take much notice because it's an independent country however I now understand what they meant it doesn't look or run like most islands. Therefore coming from The UK you would find it a lot easier to adapt here.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

I've only mentioned the ease of life here because I meet women all the time that find it difficult adapting because they are accompanying their husband's working here.
It's difficult for the spouses that come they stay at home when the spouse leaves for work so it's important to go somewhere that the whole family will have things to do. Just don't think visiting beaches and the sea will give them something to do. That's why BIM is good there is a lot of things to do.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Wow I am surprised to hear that Gordon seeing as Cayman has positioned itself to attract those wanting to live outside the rat race and i thought the foreign investment was what has made Cayman the thriving hub that it is...
Actually, it's the "offshore" tax-haven business that has made Cayman a thriving hub. We have no Income Tax, but government gets more money from other taxes than it can sensibly spend. Government extravagance and waste are phenomenal!

Foreigners are allowed to come here and live without working - and there is a mini-boom in housing for such people at the moment. But the richest of residents is still unwelcome, and subject to Immigration Dept hassles for no good reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.