Cars....

Old Oct 10th 2018, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Piglet23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Cars....

Hi, we are moving to Barbados and looking to buy a car..... we don’t want new.... we will probably be there for around 2 years.... do we ship in, buy on island , buy second hand from a selling site? What do we need to look for? We already know the road tax has been changed to tax on petrol..... I read we need to look out if a used car still has previous road tax still attached to it as the new owner would be liable... how can we check this? What do people advise is the best way.... we definitely need a car, we don’t want to rely solely on public transport.... thanks in advance
Old Oct 11th 2018, 10:37 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars....

Me personally wouldn't ship in a car. Cars can be expensive on the island, but you can find good 2nd hand cars.. however. price will always depend. New cars can vary from 30,000.00bbd to over 100,000.00bbd. and more (depends on what you buy).. There are some fairly reputable dealers in the 2nd hand market and some new car dealerships who deal in 2nd hand as well.

re the road tax and it's requirement once the car is sold?? sounds strange to me that you would have to pay it if the dealer had it and it wasn't on the road.. but.. you would have to talk to the dealer about that I guess..

Simpson Motors https://www.simpsonmotors.com/
McEnearney Quality Inc Welcome to McEnearney Quality, Inc.
Courtesy Garage Courtesy Garage Ltd. - Legendary Service... Legendary Performance!
Nassco Motors - Nassco Limited - Home
these are the big 4 new car dealerships and they all sell used/pre-owned cars.

There are smaller 2nd hand car sales .. you would need to google them to see who they are. I've only ever dealt with one. and don't think he is online/website..

th
Old Oct 11th 2018, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Hi Thanks for the info.... re unpaid road tax, I was meaning if I bought privately from say a group on Facebook, I heard if it still had unpaid tax on it when you bought it, you, as the new owner would be liable so I wondered how you can find out if there is any unpaid tax on any particular vehicle.....?
Old Oct 11th 2018, 5:08 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

ah ok.. re the road tax.. well.. the disk is on the left side of the front window of the car and it will have a date on it.... honestly . if it's older than 1 July 2018.. there will likely be road tax due. the owner should disclose that information. I sold my car, semi privately about 1 1/2 years ago. I think once we did the papers that showed they have purchased the car.. he had to get a new license plate number and at that point had to pay the road tax.. (even though we had a couple of months left on the license/roadtax.. honestly not sure what happens now....
Old Oct 11th 2018, 5:46 pm

ok. so.. here's the deal..

buyer beware... technically. when you buy a car privately you pay the money to the person.. you have to get a new license plate number and at that point would go to pay the road tax.. (that new road tax doesn't apply).
Now.. you will also pay a "transfer tax".. 400.00bbd (don't think it matters what type, how much you spent , size of the engine etc.. size of the engine matter for Road tax)..
Story I was just told - man buys a car from a guy.. all looks good. pays the man the money.. goes to get the new license.. and the old license (on the transfer) says the original owner owes thousands in back taxes or road tax or whatever.... Goes back to the man he bought the car from and says.. "you have all this money owed on the car, you need to pay it.. " and the old owner said.. "You own the car now, skipper".. new owner draws fits and lashes the old owner.. and apparently is in jail now for it.. so.. BUYER BEWARE.. I'd buy from a dealership...
Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

So the new petrol duty tax rather than road tax started on July 1 this year right? So does that mean a disc still needs to be displayed after that date? Seems a bit dodgy if you can easily get scammed by someone neglecting to say old road tax is still due?!
Old Oct 12th 2018, 11:45 pm

you still need a disc on the car , basically it means you have paid up on the insurance.. and it's done when you purchase the vehicle , get your insurance take the insurance papers to the Licensing Authority (the same thing would have been done previously but you would have actually paid the road tax.. now you just show you have proof of insurance).. and at that point they would be able to know if the road tax was paid up.

As said... when you are checking out the vehicle. check the dates on the disk. they aren't handwritten.. they are machine created.. and honestly, if the expire date is beyond 1 july 2018, you should be ok.. remember. you will not pay a transfer tax.. where before you didn't..
Old Oct 13th 2018, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks..... I’m presuming you mean ‘you will NOW pay a transfer tax’? Ok so what about insurance.... is that extortionate too?
Old Oct 14th 2018, 12:16 pm

Yes.. there is a transfer tax of 400.00bbd.. that now applies. and I think it depends on the insurance company (aren't all insurance companies extortionists???.. sorry.. had to add that).... the issue you may have is finding an insurance company to insure you as expats. (not sure if someone else on this group can assist with that)... but.. maybe the company your husband will be working for can guide you on that part...
Old Oct 14th 2018, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Lol! Yes - see your point....hopefully someone else may know about good companies which do expat car insurance......thanks
Old Oct 14th 2018, 9:28 pm

we don't have that many insurance companies on the island.. so your choice is still limited. Try Sun General Insurance. .or Sagicor. . to start..