British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Car registration/ownership - non-resident (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/car-registration-ownership-non-resident-573479/)

expat_wannabe07 Nov 16th 2008 6:29 pm

Car registration/ownership - non-resident

Just wondered if anyone knew the situation with regards to car-ownership/registration by a non-resident (ie me....a brit). We currently have a car, but it's registered in my partner's brother's name, and I want to change it. My partner (Bajan) doesn't drive.....well he can drive but has never "got round" to getting a license, so he can't register it in his name. Anyone got any ideas???

zanne Nov 16th 2008 7:23 pm

Re: Car registration/ownership - non-resident

I would ask at the licensing authority, I believe that you have to have a BB Drivers License to register the vehicle, ie a non-visitor license. I think that this would come in conjunction with immigration status either via a work permit or residency. Hope this helps.

zanne Nov 16th 2008 7:25 pm

Oops one more thing: I am assuming that you are not a named insured on this car, I believe that that is risky-- but even so you won't be able to get local insurance on the car without a BB License.

bimchick Nov 16th 2008 7:32 pm

I have a visitor's liscence and a car registered in my name. No problemo, just register the car with your number.

bimchick Nov 16th 2008 7:33 pm

...and I have insurance with a company here...

expat_wannabe07 Nov 16th 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks for your help guys - i'll be over on wednesday so i'll go and check it out at the licensing authority.

Serendipidy Nov 18th 2008 1:42 am

All you need to do is get him to write a letter and sign the car over to you. The letter should include the current number plate and the vehicle chassis number - i had to run around to get that cos it was not on my transfer letter. Go to any hire car company with your current licence and buy a years visitor licence it costs around $10. Your next step is insurance - depending on the age of the car as some insurers are not insuring on older cars - in my experience the magic figure for us ex pats is $1000 for the year. The car will also need a road worthy certificate (similar to our MOTs) from a reputable place - i heard last time they are only accepting these from reputable sources now. Once you have those documents to hand you can insure the car and get the insurance document. You then take your letter and the insurance doc to the licensing authority - would recommend oistins one as is much less busy than the pine - and they will issue you with new number plate licence no if you are living in a diff parish from the previous owner - some will let you keep the current plate if you live in same parish. There is acutally a licence plate maker outside the oistins licencing place who will make them up and put them on ya car and after a hot day of running around to all those places you will be legal lol

Once you have your insurance anyone over 25 with valid licence can drive - it might even be easier to keep it in ya brother in laws name and just get a permit to drive? Resident or not its the same process,

Good luck and approach it as part of the charm of paradise lol

Serendipidy

expat_wannabe07 Nov 18th 2008 9:11 am

Thanks so much Serendipidy, I think i might spare myself all the faffing around and just keep it in my brother-in-law's name. Is that right then, that if the car is insured anyone over 25 with a valid license can drive it??.....or is it like in the uk, where drivers have to be named?.....

bimchick Nov 18th 2008 12:46 pm

It depends on your insurance company. My car, for example, can have an occasional driver on it, but I can't let someone drive it every day without insuring that particular person. So, you should call the insurance company and ask.

Serendipidy Nov 18th 2008 10:30 pm

My insurance company say anyone over 25 and has a valid licence can driver they are Co-operator General insurance but Bim chick is right in that i dont know what other companies say so best to telephone your insurance company and ask.

Serendipidy

zanne Nov 18th 2008 10:33 pm

I just read my husbands Harmony General and it permits you to let anyone drive the insured vehicle as long as you grant permission, there doesn't appear to be an age stipulation. Our CGI policy for my car does not.