Can you clip a cat?

Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:29 pm
Banned

asherman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you clip a cat?

Folks,

First, I’m sorry about the bizarre question. I’ve looked on the internet and I get conflicting responses. I talked to a vet here and he didn’t make sense. He didn’t seem to know much about cats.

The situation: I brought a long-haired cat to Barbados (after the poor little guy had to make two trans-Atlantic trips on his own via London). He’s half Maine Coone, and he’s basically wearing a long fur coat all the time.

I brought him from a colder place, where he spent all day outdoors and was happy. Here, in Barbados, I notice he’s happy when I let him out in the early morning. But otherwise he spends all of his time trying to be cool in the house. He’s miserable in the coat.

Can I clip him, the way you’d do with a dog?

Any feline-owners out there? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Can you clip a cat?

Asherman, our cat made the same journey. He also spent 6 months in the UK freezing his furry butt off. Anyway when he arrived here he was fat (almost 4 kilos more than when I sent him) and had way more fur than ever before, after 6 months here and loads of brushing his coat has changed and he isn't so fat. I would say give it time and he will adapt to the climate much like we humans do.

I would also stick to saying can you "shear" a cat. Ha ha! My cats are both spayed/neutered but secretly resent me for it!

P.S. I used to have a cat that was part Maine Coon that couldn't get enough of the heat sleeping on the radiator and my laptop.

Last edited by zanne; Dec 13th 2008 at 12:21 am.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

I have a friend with a part Maine Coone who "shears" her cat - not like a buzz cut, but enough to make him comfortable. She takes him to a dog groomer who has worked with cats. It's much the same process. I have no idea if there is anyone here who does it, though. Try calling a few groomers.

Good luck. Hope kitty adapts! I, too, have a long-haired cat but unfortunately had to re-home him in Canada as he is too old to travel. Luckily he is very happy in his new home and doesn't miss me at all!
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:19 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asherman
Folks,

First, I’m sorry about the bizarre question. I’ve looked on the internet and I get conflicting responses. I talked to a vet here and he didn’t make sense. He didn’t seem to know much about cats.

The situation: I brought a long-haired cat to Barbados (after the poor little guy had to make two trans-Atlantic trips on his own via London). He’s half Maine Coone, and he’s basically wearing a long fur coat all the time.

I brought him from a colder place, where he spent all day outdoors and was happy. Here, in Barbados, I notice he’s happy when I let him out in the early morning. But otherwise he spends all of his time trying to be cool in the house. He’s miserable in the coat.

Can I clip him, the way you’d do with a dog?

Any feline-owners out there? Suggestions?

Thanks.

I am in California and have a long haired burmese he is clipped in the hot weather, looks funny, but you can tell he is so much happier.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

RSPCA might do it come to think of it try there!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:11 pm
Banned

Many thanks to Zanne, Foxy and Poppy for input. I’d been genuinely concerned about this. I work at home, and watching the guy be miserable all day had upset me.

I think I’ll buy one of those pathetic “home barber” kits and see if I can get the guy’s hair a little shorter … so it looks a bit less like he’s wearing a full-length sable coat and more like he’s just wearing an early-1960s Beatle wig.

And Zanne: you’re quite right about “shear”. I realize now that asking if you can clip a cat is a bit like the Sopranos.

Tony Soprano: “I want you to clip that cat.”

Sidekick with gun: “You want the cat whacked?”

Tony: “What are you, an idiot? Take the cat for a haircut!”
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

That is too funny.

RSPCA did shear my cat's side for her clipping, they did a good job, maybe try them.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes cat can 100% be clipped. I asked my mother and she's a cat expert! (She bred cats for 30+ years) so go ahead and clip the cat. although, she also said that the cat should regulate itself after some time.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 2:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bimchick
Yes cat can 100% be clipped. I asked my mother and she's a cat expert! (She bred cats for 30+ years) so go ahead and clip the cat. although, she also said that the cat should regulate itself after some time.
Very good to know, bimchick. Many thanks. I needed exactly that kind of confirmation. I think it'll make the little guy happier.