British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Can they deport me (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/can-they-deport-me-878953/)

Keshiaking Jun 16th 2016 12:54 am

Can they deport me

Hi I'm from Guyana but I came to Barbados at the age on one so I've been here 18 years. I have a daughter who is born in Barbados right now I'm applying for residence in Barbados. but I haven't acclaimed all the money to pay them and they are not giving me any more extensions until I start processing my documents. So can I be deported since I have a child born here
Or will they deport me if I take to long to pay

Serendipidy Jun 16th 2016 9:00 am

Re: Can they deport me

Hi Keshiaking - It is unlikely that as this is a British Expats site that someone will have your answers both from a view point of most contributors being British or expats from other countries not Barbadians or Caricom Citizens and from the view point of the answers you seek will probably need a lawyer

I also think the answer to your question will lie in the age of your child..if my memory serves me right children born after a certain date will no longer automatically have the country of birth status but that of the status of either parent at the time of birth. If the father is Bajan then that might enhance your situation.

With such an important question and yours and your childs future in the balance it is imperative you seek legal advice asap because immigration departments are less concerned with your welfare than you are and timing is a critical factor.

By the way deportation is utilised for "illegals" and you mention that they will not give you any further extensions therefore if you are of that critical category you have to seek legal advice. They may exercise their right to invite you to leave whilst they process your application. However as Guyana is part of the Caricom then that also probably carries some weight. I am pretty sure that asking these questions (including the status of your child) of the immigration department themselves will solicit your answers..they will tell you straight the power they have over the decision making process however a Lawyer will fight for your rights. Although I understand if you do not have the money for the application then the money for the lawyer will be even tougher.

Get the question answered about your child's status first as this will be a good indicator of possible actions. However if you are going through the process of residency applications and not upholding your part of the bargain ie paying the fees then your status will be denied and further action can be taken.

Sunniebgi Jun 16th 2016 1:34 pm

Please understand.. I'm not a lawyer and cannot give you legal advise.. only my take on it. If you have been here 18 years and you are only now working on residency, the government can (and has, for all intents and purposes) deemed you living her illegally and does have the right to deport you (which would be why they have not given you any extension on your right to stay.

Read page 51 of this document.. I don't know if the legislation was every changed.. and would strongly encourage you to seek legal assistance.

http://www.barbadosparliament.com/ht...ive_Reform.pdf read page 51 of this document.

beachseeker Jun 16th 2016 8:42 pm

Hi Sunny - thank you for providing the link to the document in your post above. I am very interested in other discussions in this document, specifically clarification on what might be included in the updated wording for Special Entry Permits and Immigration Status - starting on page 66. Thank you again for sharing.

Keshiaking Jun 18th 2016 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 11975303)
Please understand.. I'm not a lawyer and cannot give you legal advise.. only my take on it. If you have been here 18 years and you are only now working on residency, the government can (and has, for all intents and purposes) deemed you living her illegally and does have the right to deport you (which would be why they have not given you any extension on your right to stay.

Read page 51 of this document.. I don't know if the legislation was every changed.. and would strongly encourage you to seek legal assistance.

http://www.barbadosparliament.com/ht...ive_Reform.pdf read page 51 of this document.

Hi I haven't been here illegally I've been on student visa and since I've finnish school I went to immigration and I was told by one of the officers to apply for residence since I've been here 18 years so no I was never illegal here until now because they told me I can't get any more extension until I complete my application

Sunniebgi Jun 18th 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks for the explanation.. (please understand that the whole story is needed to respond with as much of the correct information as possible..). so you 19 years old?? just trying to get an idea of the situation.. Are you here with any other family?? if you have been here under a student visa, to my knowledge you couldn't have one of those with out having someone here with a work permit or other type of residency status.. but again.. not a lawyer and don't know everything about immigration.

again.. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that you find someone who knows the answer to these questions.. go into immigration and try to ask the questions again..

Keshiaking Jun 18th 2016 2:44 pm

:wink_smile:

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 11976993)
Thanks for the explanation.. (please understand that the whole story is needed to respond with as much of the correct information as possible..). so you 19 years old?? just trying to get an idea of the situation.. Are you here with any other family?? if you have been here under a student visa, to my knowledge you couldn't have one of those with out having someone here with a work permit or other type of residency status.. but again.. not a lawyer and don't know everything about immigration.

again.. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that you find someone who knows the answer to these questions.. go into immigration and try to ask the questions again..

Thank you for your response and anvice I'll goo to immigration and see what they say :thumbsup: