Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Can I get a position working with the Elderly?

Can I get a position working with the Elderly?

Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

dotdash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I get a position working with the Elderly?

Hi this is my first post.

I currently work as a Day Care/Dementia Worker in Britain and was wondering if this is a 'skill' that is needed in Barbados. I have a NVQ3 In Social Care. I love this age group and am thinking of relocating to Barbados and continuing with this work.I know Barbados now do NVQ's but with additions involving more hospitality and haircare which I would be happy to do.

My parents were both born in Barbados but live in England but have no intention of going 'home' but one by one all my other relatives seem to be moving back to Bim. I will be applying for citizenship by descent and my Husband of 5 years will too.

I have 2 young children under 3 and now in my 40's so would that be a hinderance?

Any replies greatly received. Thanks in advance

Hello Dippy!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:07 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I get a position working with the Elderly?

Hey Dot how sweet of you to say Hi ..I cant help you with your post but im sure someone will come along who can give you some feedback ..enjoy the forum
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:47 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you much with the position either.. but.. you may want to start with the ministry of health and also check into some private senior homes etc.. If both of you are applying for Barbadian citizenship by decent, it means both of your parents (his and yours) are from here.. I would strongly encourage you to get that in the works sooner rather than later.. it will help with the job as well. .. Your children are at a good age to come to Barbados, but will not be eligible for Barbados citizenship through either of you, if neither of you was born in Barbados. There would obviously be sometype of visa/permit they would need once your citizenship is approved.. I don't think your age should matter, as far as work and moving here is concerned.. just get the ball rolling..
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:27 am
Just Joined

dotdash is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, Greetings to you too Sunni.
I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of years! Have to admit is has been daunting watching the hoops people have had to jump through waiting for things to be processed but if you don't do it you'll never know.
I should clarify, my Husbands Mother is British and Father Guyanese though he has never known him.
I did send off for citizenship papers before but My Parents don't know where their original marriage cert is, which is required.
I will check out the MOH as suggested. Do you know of any genuine sites that advertise social care positions?